stregth ratio

Reven

Hi still lurking around and following HST still. Just was wondering about some stregth ratios. Is it normal for someone to be much stronger at rowing vs bench, same plane of motion but i can row waaay more then bench. Next strength ratio I want to know about it between triceps and biceps are they supposed to be fairly equal in stregth? I feel that triceps should be stonger but it could just because of the lift im using.

Which kind of row are you talking about? For bentover BB row, I can bench a lot more than I row. As for bi's and tri's, it depends on the exercise, but using incline bicep curls, I use a lot less weight than I do for other curls, closer to the range of weights I use for DB tricep extensions.

How about this one. How much can lift in a chin up or pull up, compared to your bench? I've heard from other people that you should be able to lift as much weight during a pull up and you can bench. I guess that means you are balanced. However, my 5 RM for chin ups is quite a bit more than my 5 RM for bench.

I would expect that with a seated row that most people would be able to row more than they can bench as more muscles are involved and the physics of pulling is easier for us than pushing. Then again I may be wrong but anyone I know easily pulls more than they push.

I don't think it is really correlated, being as you could do many chest exercises, no middle back and become totally unbalanced. That being said, I remember seeing an article about having equal strength opposing muscle groups and its effect on injury. I believe that the conclusion was that people with more symmetric strength had a lower "risk" of injury in athletic events. Guess that may not apply to lifting, but if you play any sports regularly, that might be a concern.

Well I try my best at being as balanced as I can. For example I have always tried to do equal amount for chest as for back then close to the same amount for upper and lower body. I figure with stretching to become more flexible and being as balanced as possible I should greatly help reduce injure so far works great no lifting misshaps.

As for rows I like to do DB rows untill my 12RM. I'm then forced to switch because I can no longer increase the weight (lack of anything larger than 100 LBs) where I then use this machine for rows. The gym calls it a supported t bar row (which it is not) its 2 poles running beside you like the dip machine at your feet. I hat the machine but its better than BB rows i find more rom. As for chin vs bench Ii know I can do allot more, not to sure how much but later this next week I will know.

Well I guess I am fairly balanced, I always thought so but when I stepped back and looked at the relations they seemed to be off. Incline curls are fairly close to what i can tricep ext. so that must be a norm.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Captain Crunch @ April 11 2005,8:51)]I would expect that with a seated row that most people would be able to row more than they can bench as more muscles are involved and the physics of pulling is easier for us than pushing. Then again I may be wrong but anyone I know easily pulls more than they push.
I think its generally the same amount of muscles for pulling as pushing when comparing like close grip rows to bench, tris chest shoulders, back biceps shoulders.

It's not just the amount of muscle that's involved though. Pulls just tend to be easier than pushes for most people because the movements are distinctly different.. I do believe in a balance though. If you're pull is way ahead of your push for the opposing muscle group, I think you should tweak your training and try some new exercises that'll add strength to the laggers.

Back