Strength and Endurance still matter

About endurance. I'd like to know of one activity that requires one to repeat the movement under continuous load except during training. Otherwise, M-S looks more like regular activities than any other rep scheme.

sawing,hammering,screwing,digging,walking,
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(faz @ May 05 2007,03:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">About endurance. I'd like to know of one activity that requires one to repeat the movement under continuous load except during training. Otherwise, M-S looks more like regular activities than any other rep scheme.

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
</div>
sorry, but MS is not really anything serious.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 05 2007,06:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ May 05 2007,03:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">About endurance. I'd like to know of one activity that requires one to repeat the movement under continuous load except during training. Otherwise, M-S looks more like regular activities than any other rep scheme.

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
</div>
sorry, but MS is not really anything serious.</div>
Elaborate please.

<div>
(Martin Levac @ May 05 2007,00:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan Moore, according to that study, M-time + load progression + heavy looks like it would train everything simultaneously, including energy systems.</div>
That's what I have been saying now for a while.

Think of it this way.

1. The heavy weights activate all fibers, so all are being trained

2. If all are being trained then both metabolic paths are being trained as well.

With the breaks in between reps we can say that even though lactate is still produced (see the whole muscle energetic system for information) the anaerobic threshold may not be increased due to the breaks and hence lactate muscle clearance to blood serum. So in a world of specific reaction to specific demand we can say that in order to increase anaerobic threshold then one must train in a fashion to do so.

As far as strength-endurance (SE) is concerned it's plausible that the increase in SE is not totally related to lactate accumulation at all but related to the total amount of work being completed. Although I have no scientific evidence of this (in fact some studies would show the opposite, these studies aren't the best examples IMO) I have seen enough anecdotal evidence to make this claim, IE many reports of relative strength (SE) increasing. Now I'm not saying MS would increase SE beyond what is seen in traditional consecutive reps but the evidence is there that it may be just as effective.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have seen enough anecdotal evidence to make this claim...</div>
BLASPHEMY!!! Oh, how the mighty have fallen...let the witchhunt begin! I can see their little fingers poised above the keyboards now....! SURELY not
'brologic' from the mighty Dan!

Faz: For some of us, continuous load is a norm. So go to my truck and bring me 300 2x4's (we carry them 8-10 per load on the shoulder), lay them out for walls, take the nail gun or hammer and assemble them and tell me you just didn't experience a continuous load! Oh, BTW, did I mention we're rebuilding the 3rd floor?

As Sci said, he's growing from 5 reps and such. Our 15 rep scheme has other benefits, but most grow after that, in the 10's and 5's. I can see where you'd grow on the MS, but have yet to try it, as you. But I'd think that MS IS serious if you don't rest too long between reps.
My reasoning is from deads. That massive lift gets me huffin' and puffin' like a freight train, despite unloading the weight on the floor, so I'd see MS as a similar effect once you're at 95% or more.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">But I'd think that MS IS serious if you don't rest too long between reps.
My reasoning is from deads. That massive lift gets me huffin' and puffin' like a freight train, despite unloading the weight on the floor, so I'd see MS as a similar effect once you're at 95% or more. </div>

EXACTLY!

<div>
(quadancer @ May 05 2007,09:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have seen enough anecdotal evidence to make this claim...</div>
BLASPHEMY!!! Oh, how the mighty have fallen...let the witchhunt begin! I can see their little fingers poised above the keyboards now....! SURELY not
'brologic' from the mighty Dan!</div>
biggrin.gif

Well, I've never totally discounted anecdotal evidence but there is a difference between accepting anecdotes for what they are and accepting them for what they are not.

<div>
(Lol @ May 04 2007,22:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think I've posted a link to this before but it's worth posting again. Enjoy!

A little bit of strength-endurance</div>
Ya know, I think many will look at that and say WOW, that is awesome.

I look at that and say WOW, that's retarded, and whoever the guy in the background is shouting &quot;no pain&quot; is setting up this guy for some real world hurt.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ May 05 2007,10:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ May 04 2007,22:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think I've posted a link to this before but it's worth posting again. Enjoy!

I look at that and say WOW, that's retarded, and whoever the guy in the background is shouting &quot;no pain&quot; is setting up this guy for some real world hurt.</div>
whixh is why I wish I was an orthopedic surgeon

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 05 2007,19:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Dan Moore @ May 05 2007,10:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

I look at that and say WOW, that's retarded, and whoever the guy in the background is shouting &quot;no pain&quot; is setting up this guy for some real world hurt.</div>
whixh is why I wish I was an orthopedic surgeon</div>
Because if you were an orthopaedic surgeon you would have been waiting in the wings ready to rush out and rescue the poor fellow from his plight of fancy? Oh, no, that would be Powdered Toast Man I'm thinking of.

I guess that's what makes life so colourful - some want to try to run a sub-four minute mile, some want to scale the tallest mountain or cross the Arctic. It's all a bit mad really and could lead to injury. So the guy wanted to get 100 reps with 220lbs (or whatever it was). I don't think he was recommending anybody else try it. It was a bit of 'fun' for him to try. He nearly made it too even if his form sucked eggs.

I think it was Jesse Marunde shouting words of encouragement (but it could have been Powdered Toast Man?).

Ah shoot! Our very own web super hero, jvroig, is gonna slap my wrists now cos there are multiple nested thingies here. Hope there aren't too many?
rock.gif

<div>
(Lol @ May 06 2007,11:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(drpierredebs @ May 05 2007,19:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

whixh is why I wish I was an orthopedic surgeon</div>
Because if you were an orthopaedic surgeon you would have been waiting in the wings ready to rush out and rescue the poor fellow from his plight of fancy? Oh, no, that would be Powdered Toast Man I'm thinking of.

I guess that's what makes life so colourful - some want to try to run a sub-four minute mile, some want to scale the tallest mountain or cross the Arctic. It's all a bit mad really and could lead to injury. So the guy wanted to get 100 reps with 220lbs (or whatever it was). I don't think he was recommending anybody else try it. It was a bit of 'fun' for him to try. He nearly made it too even if his form sucked eggs.

I think it was Jesse Marunde shouting words of encouragement (but it could have been Powdered Toast Man?).

Ah shoot! Our very own web super hero, jvroig, is gonna slap my wrists now cos there are multiple nested thingies here. Hope there aren't too many?  
rock.gif
</div>
if I was an orthopedic surgeon, and I was telling him no, no, no he would still do 100 reps.

Anyway, I have deicide to go to medical school. I actually want to become a sports cardiologist. 15 years of scientific research in molecular biology has become boring. I need a new challenge.

I have conlcuded that for me, 10 x 3 with 60-90 seconds in between set rests is best.

Whilst were on the subject of strength and endurance I just wondered if anyone here is able to do bucket loads of press-ups? I know that they don't involve a lot of strength but the fatigue factor is quite high. I remember practicing them as a kid and got to 100 or so consecutive reps.

Now, when you find out that the record for consecutive reps is 10,507 you have to wonder how it's possible for the guy's body to flush away the metabolic byproducts and other factors relating to fatigue fast enough to allow for that many press-ups? Obviously, it is and it just shows how true the SAID principle is.

Amazing though this seems, some quick calcs make is seem more plausible. Assuming the guy has a mass of a paltry 60kgs (and his centre of mass is the same as most other folks) then he will still be lifting around half his bodyweight with his arms (sure, there'll be slightly more load on his arms in the down than in the up position, but let's not worry about that).

Say, his ROM is 0.333 metres so he's doing 300N x 0.333m = 100 Joules of work per press-up (assuming no work on the way down) then in total he would have expended 10,507 x 100 = ~1,050 kJ. That's about 250 Calories. Unless I've muddles up Calories and calories then that's about the same amount of energy as you'd find in about 200 grams of rice.
rock.gif
ie. not a great deal!

So, as long as you can train your body to get very efficient at removing the metabolic fatigue factors efficiently from the required muscles then you would easily have enough energy stored to accomplish this feat.

It seems strangely odd that this such a small amount of energy is required for such an impressive feat. Even if I double the energy requirement to account for the eccentric movement that's still only the equivalent of the energy you would get from around 400 grams of rice.

<div>
(Lol @ May 06 2007,14:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Whilst were on the subject of strength and endurance I just wondered if anyone here is able to do bucket loads of press-ups?</div>
whaddafug is a press-up?

I burned 4000 cal in 2.3 hours last sunday during a quick marathon.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 06 2007,20:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">whaddafug is a press-up?</div>
Loose translation into North American English:
press-up = push-up  
smile.gif

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 06 2007,20:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I burned 4000 cal in 2.3 hours last sunday during a quick marathon.</div>
That sounds like a whole lotta fun.

<div>
(drpierredebs @ May 06 2007,14:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I burned 4000 cal in 2.3 hours last sunday during a quick marathon.</div>
You're gonna have to clarify that one for me. I know that you're a strong cyclist and have great endurance. However, if you meant a literal marathon, as the term is usually used, it's 26miles and 385yards on foot, or 42.195 km (according to wikipedia).

2.3 hours would within a few minutes of world class status. Most or all who can do something like that are also emaciated by standards of the average weight lifter.

I'm guessing that you meant a &quot;marathon&quot; in the generic sense...and did a long bike ride.

I screwed up and took the wrong date/numbers from my polar chart.
It was a 50 km race in Italy last Sunday, which included 1500 meters in climbing.
3.55 hours, 4007 calories. of which 20 minutes was standing at 1000 meters altitude in &quot;traffic&quot; as 500 other bikers tried to squeeze through a 2 meter wider part of the trail.
2.3 hours was the previous sundays training numbers.

This race sucked because I paced myself for the 100km route, and got stuck in the traffic and missed the cutoff time.

<div>
(Lol @ May 06 2007,14:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...Amazing though this seems, some quick calcs make is seem more plausible. Assuming the guy has a mass of a paltry 60kgs (and his centre of mass is the same as most other folks) then he will still be lifting around half his bodyweight with his arms (sure, there'll be slightly more load on his arms in the down than in the up position, but let's not worry about that).

Say, his ROM is 0.333 metres so he's doing 300N x 0.333m = 100 Joules of work per press-up (assuming no work on the way down) then in total he would have expended 10,507 x 100 = ~1,050 kJ. That's about 250 Calories. Unless I've muddles up Calories and calories then that's about the same amount of energy as you'd find in about 200 grams of rice.  
rock.gif
ie. not a great deal!

So, as long as you can train your body to get very efficient at removing the metabolic fatigue factors efficiently from the required muscles then you would easily have enough energy stored to accomplish this feat.

It seems strangely odd that this such a small amount of energy is required for such an impressive feat. Even if I double the energy requirement to account for the eccentric movement that's still only the equivalent of the energy you would get from around 400 grams of rice.</div>
Although you maths seems right, I don't think it can be.

As a Thai Boxer (who's not training at the moment due to an ankle injury which I'm seeing the surgeon in a couple of weeks) we do heaps of pressups and 10,507 pressups only buring &lt;1000 kCalories seems wrong.

A few complicaitons in terms of the calories burned:
- There will be a lot of metabolic waste products, energy will be required to clean this up.
- There will be some muscle damage, this will require energy to rebuild
- There's quite a bit of stabilisation work in a press-up, I've got no idea how to calculate this but it would be significant

Also, time must factor into this as well. If you were to do one press-up, but do it slow it takes 30 minutes it must burn more calories than a press-up which takes around 2 seconds. Therefore, I think the formula needs to somehow include time to be more accurate.

Back