Switching from DB to Barbell Bench

TangoDown

My DB bench is cocked out at 75lb DBs for 3-5 reps...I think I've stopped progressing on it, and I desire to switch to barbell bench.

How should I transition the lifts (find a rep max, etc), and after my CNS catches up, how close would my barbell bench be to my DB bench? I assume BB would be more because less stabilization.

I have read that DB is 80-85% of what you can do with a barbell but if you are at the end of your cycle you might want to test it out and see

I have read that DB is 80-85% of what you can do with a barbell but if you are at the end of your cycle you might want to test it out and see

I'm guessing it'll be lower than expected until my CNS catches up. I still have another mesocycle; haven't decided if I want to repeat 5s or do doubles/triples.

I've always been able to BB Bench quite a bit more than I can DB bench. 80-85% figure sounds about right to me.

You could always swap it out now. Start with 150 and start progressing from there until you max it out. That would give you some time to get the CNS used to the lift.

Did 135lb for 10 reps, bar hitting chest or like an inch from chest for every rep, elbows not flaring out to prevent shoulder issues (left shoulder is still kinda fubar). Probably could have arched my chest a bit, because I hear that people who bench with their upper backs off the bench can lift more. Probably could have eeked out 12. About as much as I could do with dumbbells (65lb dbs for maybe 13-15 reps). So if the 80-85% rule is in my favor, I should see that number shoot up within the next couple of weeks. If I can hit a 1 rep max over 200, I'll be pretty happy since I think that's pretty good for a fairly new lifter who's sub-160lb.

Think I'll repeat 135lb for like 3 sets of 5 reps next time since I only did 1 set after warming up this round. Then keep pushing up as the CNS adjusts until I hit a wall, test for 1 rep max, and then SD with the rest of my lifts when my cycle ends.

Back