The Dinosaur Files

Fabulous find whistledixie! I've been toying with the idea of adding heavy partials to my workouts to see what effect they have on my getting back in to the swing of things. Then I read the first edition of Aussie Strength from 1997! They are most certainly good for development of strong tendons which is what I've used them for before.

Love this quote:

"The Wimp of the Month is anyone who uses padded gloves AND big sponges to hold onto the bar so he doesn't hurt his little handsiewandsies." I think that should have been padded gloves OR big sponges! :D

When I first started lifting a buddy once said “I would rather wear gloves then to have my calluses get caught on a girls silk panties. Would kind of kill the mood” -It’s been gloves for me ever since.

I hate gloves, they interfere with grip and reduce your ability to grab the bar when pulling from the floor.

I don't know about what kind of soft-handed men the women you know are interested in, but all the women I've been with love my strong hands, callouses and all. Some women appreciate a man who looks like he's done a bit of work once in a while in his life.

(That was meant to be a light-hearted joking comment by the way... rereading it, I could see it coming across as a dbag thing to say)

Last edited:
On the origin of the Smith Machine

From the first issue of The Dino Files:

"in the 1950s, Weider's Muscle Power ran article after article about heavy partials. Many of these were written by the prolific Charles Smith… The Smith Machine, which bears his name, was developed for the primary purpose of allowing home gym trainers to perform heavy partials in complete safety."

Didn't know that. It makes so much more sense using the Smith m/c for partials. Of course, a rack is great too. I'd still rather use a rack, even if it is a bit more fiddly to set all the pins.

When I first started lifting a buddy once said “I would rather wear gloves then to have my calluses get caught on a girls silk panties. Would kind of kill the mood” -It’s been gloves for me ever since.

Haha! If you're worrying about silk panties when you're training, you lack focus and you aren't lifting enough weight!

The man who invented it doesnt want it. The man who bought it doesnt need it. The man who needs it doesnt know it. What is it?

Back