The extra 5's weeks

juffe

Hi!

So, I'm soon going to my last 2 extra weeks of 5's (negs), and I was wondering, should I use the same (5 rep max) weights for whole 2 weeks, or should I use the same 2 week progressive routine as I used on the normal 5's?

Thanks!
sleeping.gif

Usually for the negatives you use a 2 rep max. Do 2 concentric and eccentric movements to gain strength and then 3 eccentric only movements to gain size. If size is your only goal, you can do all 5 reps as eccentric only.

wow.gif
9-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ June 20 2005,6
wow.gif
9)]Usually for the negatives you use a 2 rep max. Do 2 concentric and eccentric movements to gain strength and then 3 eccentric only movements to gain size. If size is your only goal, you can do all 5 reps as eccentric only.
Okay, thanks for the info!

If you have no partner, you can just do your 5 RM for the whole two weeks, or even try to increment past that... but if you have a partner, you should definitely do as O&G suggested, because the results will be far better than continuing with your 5 RM.

Has anyone tried using cluster training for the post-5's as an alternative to negatives? What are the results of this approach? I am training alone, so negatives on the compound movements are out of the question (except maybe for the chins).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Has anyone tried using cluster training for the post-5's as an alternative to negatives? What are the results of this approach? I am training alone, so negatives on the compound movements are out of the question (except maybe for the chins)

yes.

i clustered my post 5s. what happened is that i had compound movements + stretch point movements. I had 1 set of 5 for compound 1 set stretch 1 set burn during the post 5's period. i kept the same 5 RM through the post 5s for the stretch movements, but i incremented a decent bit with the compound by clustering. I basically continued my 5 RMs(for compound) for about 2 workouts, then incremented but clustered with 2 + 3. and i increment after that. BUt, i extended this period to about 4 weeks. So my weights gave gone up a good bit, bench is up about 20 with clustering since my 5 RM, leg ext is up 40 lbs, weighted ab crunchs are up about 30 lbs, behind neck pull down went up about 15 lbs and over head tricep ext went up about 5 lbs.

good luck.

pzhang

Back