think i might be overtraining...

chrikenn

I've been doing HST for about a year, and have gained about 30 pounds in the process and am overall happy with the results.  however, i think i may be overtraining, and it may finally be catching up to me. my program is as follows:

DB press (alternate flat/inclined from cycle to cycle)
lat pulldown
seated row
arnold press
bicep curl
tricep ext
shrug
lat raise (machine)
calves
quads
hamstrings (these 3 are all separate exercises)

any suggestions for something to eliminate or how to combine some of these? unfortunately, due to a back injury and a hip injury, i can't really do squats or deadlifts.  for some reason, both cause one or both of the injuries to flare up within weeks, no matter how long of a break i've taken.
thanks in advance.

you have not said how many sets you do ..and how many days you workout.is it 3x or 5x..
you could drop the arm isos altogether if the routine is to much.
or you could just drop them when you get to the 5s
there is also other reasons
1) lack of sleep
2) poor diet
3) stress
4)training to faliure
put up your routine and how many days you do

Sorry for leaving that info out...

I workout 3 times per week. For sets i do 1 for 15s, 2 for 10s, 3 for 5s, and a drop set after negs. I think that's the typical HST workout. Sleep, diet, and stress are all fine. Workout takes about an hour.

I guess my main question is this: does it LOOK like i am overtraining? ie: should i eliminate an exercise or two, or is 11 an OK number?

thanks.

I doubt you are overtraining... any particular reason why you think you are overtraining?

If you're overtraining you'll be losing strength, size, sleep, be depressed, no appetite, blah, blah, blah. A lot of people (myself included) have confused symptoms of over-reaching with over-training.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I guess my main question is this: does it LOOK like i am overtraining? ie: should i eliminate an exercise or two, or is 11 an OK number?

No!

What is the reason, or why do you ask?

Many people are doing far more in workouts without overtraining.

Actually, there are many reasons why you might think you're overtraining. It would just be more helpful to respondents, if you just clarify your problems or issues "very carefully".

thumbs-up.gif

If you are dragging yourself into each workout (i.e. never feel like working out), delaying your workouts altogether, losing strength and feeling weak in general then it might be overtraining. Otherwise do not worry too much about it and just go on with what you are doing. Remember, it is not a matter of how many exercises and/or how many sets. ANY volume is just fine as long as you can handle it.

Back