Vertical Jump

I

imported_dreadrok

does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to increase my vertical jump? I plan on doing this my next hst cycle where i also plan on cutting up a bit (HIIT+HST)...Ideally i want to be able to dunk, and seein that im about 5'10'' ish and can only touch rim i know i have some work to do.. but im willing.. so if anyone can help me out that would be great. thanks

I remember that there were some workouts over at T-Mag.com on increasing one's vertical jump a couple of years ago.

I haven't worked on my vertical jump at all lately, but I have been doing a lot of squats and deadlifts. The other day some friends and I were jumping and I found that I can jump some inches higher... not much, but it's still something.

Thanks O&G you are the man.. I thought memory went at old age...
butbut.gif
hhehehe JUST KIDDING
butbut.gif
butbut.gif
thumbs-up.gif
worship.gif
blush.gif
your the best
Totentanz... inches is great!!! they are hard to come by.. congrats...
Squats.. how i love and loath you...... :confused:

If you want to increase your jump forget HST!

You have get more speed and explosive power to your legs. It means a much lower weights and quicker reps...

I suffer from a case of small leg syndrome.. so i guess ill hst untill i can get them bigger... then do some jump training for them........ any info on this style of workout and stuff would be great.... thanks

HST may not be the best thing if you concentrate solely on it.

Squats are excellent. Concentrate on making the concentric phase very quick (but controlled). Also, a calf exercise, like 1 legged raises, in your routine will help.

What I have learned (I also wanted to increase my vert some time ago) is that plyometrics are the key, since jumping is really a short duration, high intensity movement. This can easily be appended to and HST cycle. I will try and dig up my old routine (I got about 8" or so extra after starting this).

Another GREAT thing is those jump soles (if you can afford them). They work very well for most.

Hope that helps.

i was thinking about getting those jump soles... but i dont really that much money to spend.. maybe ill just duct tape a piece of wood to the toe of my shoe..
tounge.gif

that workout would be great... 8 inches is a good gain...
what kind of vertical am i looking to have to be able to dunk? we'll say im 5'10''..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dreadrok @ Mar. 02 2005,8:28)]i was thinking about getting those jump soles... but i dont really that much money to spend.. maybe ill just duct tape a piece of wood to the toe of my shoe..
tounge.gif
I took an old pair of running shoes and screwed blocks of wood with rubber on them
laugh.gif

They felt a little unstable and I never used them much, but I think it's a workable concept.

ill try them on a old pair of shoes and see how they feel.. HHAHA this is going to be funny....
once i get them then what?? just wear them everywhere like in Seinfeld? Or do some Plyometrics with them?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]once i get them then what?? just wear them everywhere like in Seinfeld? Or do some Plyometrics with them?

Hmmm...I missed that Seinfeld.

If your contraptions are stable enough, running in them is a GREAT calf workout. If you just want vertical leap ability, simply use them like a baseball doughnut; to weight down the normal movement. Try jumping to touch the rim with them on (10-15 times say for 3 sets). You are training the motion you are trying to achive with added resistance.

There are other things that you can do with them, but I would start with that. If you order the shoes, they come with a whole video and booklet about training. They also come with these things called "proprioceptors", which basically make the bottom of the shoe spherically shaped. Always seemed kind of dangerous to me so I never tried them...

Back