Weightlifting shoes

For ATG squats you're going to want a shoe with a heel. Those adidas shoes someone posted are excellent. For really wide powerlifting style squats you're going to want a flat shoe, like chuck taylors.

Bulldog, I have a pair of Nike "Shox" that have the raised heel. Not saying their good for lifting, but they are all I have atm. A guy at the gym said a raised heel is the exact opposite than what you want for deads. In fact, he had me go barefoot and put 2.5's under my toes. He said this is because 1)You get your power from pushing off your heels and 2)By leaning forward naturally (raised heels), it makes you lean forward too much putting too much stress on your back.

I'm curious as to what others have to say about this. Needless to say, his advice seemed to work. And my lower back has been killing me, which could be from my form before. It seems like the same disadvantage would hold true for squats with a raised heel, but everyone seem to say the opposite.

Can someone help me out here, I don't know what to think
rock.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 13 2007,11:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Should we deadlift with or without shoes when all we have is a pair of tennis shoes?</div>
I do it without shoes. I have wrestling shoes that I wear in the winter time though, they are almost the same as going barefoot. Using tennis shoes seems unstable to me, and I used to find some slight pain in my feet sometimes after deadlifting in them.

So when doing deads, or squats for that matter, is flatter better than having your heels inclined from anything whether it be shoes or a board?

Sorry to detract from the OP.

GatorDude, For ATG olympic style squats a heal is better than flat. It is easier to go deep with the heal.

I have always thought that you would want a flat shoe for deads, which seems to be what the others think. I was just curious if those people with healed shoes wear them for deads or not. I'm assuming that they don't.

<div>
(Bulldog @ Jun. 13 2007,12:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">GatorDude,  For ATG olympic style squats a heal is better than flat.  It is easier to go deep with the heal.

I have always thought that you would want a flat shoe for deads, which seems to be what the others think.  I was just curious if those people with healed shoes wear them for deads or not.  I'm assuming that they don't.</div>
For comps I've always used socks that have some small rubber pleats on the bottom, but for training I don't bother.  I use the same cheap shoes to deadlift in that I use to squat in (slightly heeled shoe) I've lifted some pretty heavy weight in these old things.

I also have a broken leg  
tounge.gif
  Don't know if my heeled shoe had anything to do with it.

<div>
(FrankG @ Jun. 13 2007,18:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">How did you break your leg?</div>
deadlifting

Just so you know Frank, Steve lifts insanely heavy weights for a natty lifter. You can read about what happened to his leg in his injury log.

If you look at the kind of loads that Oly lifters are able to clean it becomes apparent that a proper Oly heeled shoe is not going to hold your deadlifting back much, if any. If you are an advanced lifter then a flat soled shoe would be a better choice for deads but, for the rest of us, a good Oly shoe would be useful for most lifts as it will provide really good support for the entire foot.

Hmm, so should I try deadlifting without shoes if this the case. I wonder what effect it will have as I have had no pain in my feet.

I'd give it a try Colby. Granted, I'm no advanced deadlifter by any means, but I noticed almost immediate results strength wise after taking mine off, placebo or not. As I've said before though, my lower back has almost been my weak point and I think it's still catching up with other lifts... and the flat feet seemed to help out.

If you start deadlifting without shoes you will see immediate results because you effectively decrease the distance the bar has to travel and you open up the hip/knee angles very slightly which allows for greater leverage at the start of the pull (like Aaron mentioned earlier). That's a good thing if you are competing but not essential otherwise.

However, I do think that good arch support is an important part of foot stabilisation during a heavy lift and so decent footwear is probably wise for long-term training. If I was just going to get shoes for deadlifting I would get some Chuck Taylors or similar.

That was my original thoughts on the subject - it won't matter for someone that isn't competing, and I could stick to tennis shoes. I will try slipping the &quot;sneakers&quot; off and deadlift with socks on.

Seems to me that lifting barefoot or in socks you would have some pressure points that could be detrimental? I would think (not know) that a thin rubber mat or something would be necessary there. I'm gonna try it.

I was actually just looking at those at that site right before I read your post. Since I haven't bought any shoes yet I may spend a little more and get a pair of those. They look a lot nicer than the other ones I was looking at.

I prefer to dead barefoot and in underwear if at home , sweat pants or athletic shorts with no back seam if in public as I've split more pants/shorts than I care to count when doing heavy deads .
tounge.gif

Back