Weights, cardio and stuff log

20.5 clustered chins, 5,4,4,4,3.5. BW +25kgs, CG palms facing. The last two days took their toll today, the reps were hard and that last one in cluster 5 didn't quite get there.

10 weighted push-ups, BW + g/f sitting on my back - much easier than plate balancing :p

DB Shoulder Press, 2x5 - 32.5kgs

Last edited by a moderator:
21 clustered chins, 4,4,4,3,3,3. BW + 26.5kgs, CG palms facing. Still feeling slight fatigue in the elbows from freestyle w/paddles followed up by badminton, but I imagine it will pass shortly. Didn't feel it until the 4th cluster and it wasn't particularly noticeable until after the 6th.

Dips, 5x5, BW +15kgs - I've started doing these much slower and with a momentary pause at the bottom. Great pec activation with the spacing I have right now.

Freestyle swimming w/hand paddles, 1,100m

DB Curls, 1x15 - 20kg

DB Shoulder Press, 2x5 - 32.5kg - forgot to raise the weight again. They're much easier after swimming compared to days w/out swimming, which I imagine is because front deltoids don't really get much use compared to rear and just about every other upper body muscle ... ? Just a guess. Maybe it's because the joints are v.well lubricated by then.

Single leg squats 5x5 - quite hard today, I think I may still be slightly fatigued from the weekend's badminton - sprinting left, right, left, right for a couple of hours.

Lunges, 3x10

21 clustered chins, 4,4,4,3,3,3. 15-second loaded stretch. CG palms facing. BW + 28kgs. Probably should have left off the 4th rep in cluster #3. 28kgs was another jump in weight this week but swimming is making my pulling chain feel fantastic, so I figured - why not?

Dips, 5x5, BW +15kgs

Freestyle, 1,000m, hand paddles & pull buoy again. Had a few *really* powerful laps in there too, felt like gliding.

DB Shoulder Press, 3x5 - 32.5kgs. Was feeling smooth but a bit heavier, so instead of bumping the weight (at least this time I remembered I had planned to do that) I added a 3rd set, which is probably better for me right now (I'm conditioning the CNS as much as anything).

All up, had a fantastic workout day today.

19 clustered chins, 5,4,4,3,3, 15 second loaded stretch, CG palms facing, BW + 28kg.

Badminton Double, 2 & 1/2 hrs ...absolutely eff'in wrecked now ... will probably skip Dips, do the shoulder and arms later this evening.

5 Mei Curls

DB Shoulder Press 3x5 - 32.5kg

20 clustered chins, 4,4,3,3,3,3, CG palms facing, BW + 30kgs. **** me that's starting to get heavy. I've adjusted by taking slightly longer rest periods, but other than that it's fine.

Dips, 5x5, BW +15kgs. Damn dips-station is ****ed. Hopefully it's salvageable, re-constructing will be annoying if it isn't :p

Freestyle swimming, hand paddles, pull buoy, 1,000m - had so much gas left in the tank. Considering buying the bigger paddles and having a 'ridiculous swimming strength' session once a week but I'll stick w/this for now.

DB Shoulder Press, 3x5 - 32.5kgs - might just go ahead and bump the weight and retain the 3rd set, seems to be fine.

20 clustered chins, 4,4,3,3,3,3, CG palms facing, BW + 30kgs. Feeling it a little at the elbow where the biceps ends, but certainly a 'usage' feeling and not pain.

Assorted push ups of various grips. Trying to isolate/emphasise pectoral muscles and have minimal delt and tricep input.

DB Shoulder Press, 3x5 - 32.5kg

DB Rows, plyometric 'bounce', 1x15 - 32.5kg

DB Curls, 1x15 - 20kg - v.easy, pretty sure this is more like my 20RM than 15RM now

21 clustered chins, 4,4,4,3,3,3, CG palms facing, BW + 30kgs. Today's felt much better than the previous two. I think the high-rep curls from Wednesday are v.helpful re: elbow and balance out the static pressure & tension from freestyle swimming v.nicely. 30kgs + BW will soon be bitched, prison style.

5x5 Wide-grip pushups - I couldn't get any wider than this and still move my arms. Fantastic feeling.

DB Shoulder Press, 3x5 - 32.5kgs - quite easily today

DB Rows, plyometric w/bounce, 1x15 - 32.5kgs

Excellent chinup strength. I like the cluster idea myself. I need to get a belt to add weight to my chinups too.

20 clustered chins, 4,4,4,4,4, 15-second loaded stretch, CG palms facing, BW + 30kg, I probably should have gotten a little more food in me before working out this morning, the 4th rep lacked a bit of energy for clusters 3 and 4, took a longer rest before the final cluster and that helped get it done.

2x4 weighted pushups, assorted wide-grip work at BW only.

Alex,

Would you describe your 2x4 weighted pushups? In order to progress the load for these, you could have your g/f hold extra weight while she sits on your back. You probably don't want her to gain enough weight so that her body weight would be sufficient for your load progression needs. ;>)

Haha, I could have her hold some plates but atm her BW on my back is definitely my 4-5 RM :p

21 clustered chins, 5,5,4,4,3, 15-second loaded stretch, CG palms facing, BW + 30kgs - felt really really good today, long live rest periods.

5x5 maximum width push-ups. Any wider and I just wouldn't be moving. Felt great :)

Freestyle swimming, hand paddles size M, pull buoy, 1,000m - had way more in the tank, taking a week off definitely let me recover from a general tiredness, will have to remember to balance out the static tension/pressure on elbow w/biceps curls :p

DB Shoulder Press, 3x5 - 32.5kgs

20 clustered chins, 5,5,5,5, CG palms facing, BW + 30kgs - really good today, will aim to bump next Monday after a Saturday workout. Only 'weak' reps were the 5th in each of cluster 3 and 4.

5x5 maximum width push-ups. Focusing on a (relatively) slow negative and the width is removing most of the triceps and delt work.

DB Shoulder Press, 3x5 -32.5kgs - was nearly throwing the DB into the air it was that easy today. No idea why :p

For yesterday,

21 clustered chins, 6,5,5,5, CG palms facing, BW + 30kgs

5x5 Maximum width push ups, 1x5 close grip push ups, v.slow negative

2.5hrs doubles badminton

21 clustered chins, 5,5,5,3,3 CG palms facing, 15-second loaded stretch, BW + 30kgs - felt a bit lethargic this morning when I woke up, kept the clusters smaller and more of them.

5x5 max width push-ups, v.slow negatives. Working on dip station repairs still.

CG Push ups, 2x5, pushing through the palms only - v.hard but someone I know suggested trying it

Freestyle swimming, hand paddles, pull buoy, 1,000m

I'm more or less borrowing your workout format and extending my first cycle with 5 or 2 sets of 5's through to the end of the year. I dropped the iso's and like the feel of these workouts.

You started this cycle at 115 kg at around 15% if I understood correctly. That's extremely big. Have your stats changed this cycle or are you pretty much at your genetic limit?

I'm more or less borrowing your workout format and extending my first cycle with 5 or 2 sets of 5's through to the end of the year. I dropped the iso's and like the feel of these workouts.

You started this cycle at 115 kg at around 15% if I understood correctly. That's extremely big. Have your stats changed this cycle or are you pretty much at your genetic limit?

I'm probably approaching/near reached my genetic limit for that bf%. I haven't gained size atm because I'm doing a v.prolonged cut, probably for about 6-8months in total. The clustered chins are giving me a great strength gain that I haven't had before (I'm putting it down to the clustering, to be blunt). At some point I'll shift the focus onto shoulders (my chest is easily dig enough atm, haven't aimed to increase that for a while, not worth the new wardrobe costs).

Back