What to do after 5's

DwayneJohnson

I'm finishing my 5's next Friday and trying to figure out what to do after that. I'd like to keep this cycle going for a few more weeks at least. I can't do negatives because of my logistics. If I keep doing 5's, should I do every single set to failure, at every single workout? If so how many sets per body part and per workout overall would be appropriate? Thanks guys

I would avoid failure. Just continue incrementing every workout, or every other workout, until you can't increment anymore. Basically what you want to do is take a few weeks to find new 5 RMs in each lift, but take your time doing so. If one workout, say squats, you find that you can only get 5 reps with 315, keep using that load a few more workouts and see if you can increment further after a week or so. In theory, you could keep going with the 5s for as much as six weeks, pushing the strength gains, and only ending the cycle once you totally plateau. Just be sure to record all your new 5 rep maxes so you can use those to plan out your new cycle. This eliminates the need for retesting maxes for your next cycle.

Personally, I would follow Totez advice however once your 5RM stalls, spend 1-2 weeks (5-6 workouts) pushing at 3s or negatives and then retest your 5RM one final time and see if you couldn't increase it.

Depending on how my body and joints feel I'd hit the 5's for another week or two at 5 reps 3 sets per, then SD.

Back