Why am I getting weaker?

ToonArmyPA

Hi folks,

I've been doing HST for just under a year now, and I really enjoy it. I've always been tall and skinny, and this program has helped me make both size and strength gains. My equipment is simply an adjustable bench and a set of Powerblocks that go up to around 90 lbs each.

Recently, though, something weird's been happening. I'm currently at the end of my 1st week of 5RM. Last week, in my incline d-bell press, I was putting up 75-80 lb dumbbells in each hand for 10 reps. This week, I've had to drop back down to 65 for 3 sets of 5. Not a problem if it was just due to the volume, but I can't even get 70 up for one rep on my left side.

My right side doesn't seem as affected, and this sudden onset of weakness doesn't seem to be impacting any other exercises in my routine; just my press. Could I be overtraining? Should I start SD now instead of next weekend?

I've also noticed some tenderness in my left arm that I've experienced before and thought to be a tendon issue. A 3-week SD (along with an adjustment in routine) helped clear that up, so I'm wondering if this might just be a recurrence of that issue.

In case it helps, here's my routine:

Full Body, 3 x week

SLDL/Squats (alternate days)
Incline DBell Press
Bent-Over Row
Military Press
Concentration Curls/Incline Curls (CCs for 1st week of a cycle, ICS for second week)
Skullcrushers (I'm considering dropping these iso exercises in my next cycle)
Bicycles

Thanks in advance!

It seems to me like you're overtraining.

Every 4 months have a week break between your routine changes. That's if you make them. If you don't make any changes to your routine, then that too could be another problem.

sounds like over training but your routine looks standard to me.

and bicycles? biceps or cardio(cycle).if its the latter dont mix cardio with weights period.am/pm maybe but never b4 or after a workout.this could be the cause.

Yeah, that's a good point. Do them seperate. Only mix cardio with weights if you're gonna do your cardio after, and you have a good diet.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys. When I said "bicycles", I meant the ab exercise where you crunch and move your legs like you're pedaling a bike, although I recently started doing Tabata intervals on a stationary bike 2x/week on my off days (never the same day as weights). I just thought I was getting too flabby round the midsection.

Usually my week looks like this:

Sun - HST
Mon - Tabata
Tues - off
Wed - HST
Thurs - off
Fri - HST
Sat - Tabata

I've made routine changes here and there, and I've only had this one for the past cycle or two. I'll try taking a week break in between, and maybe I'll take another extended SD here.

I'm really not trying to get massive (not in the genetic cards for me anyway), just a bit more LBM and definition. Are Tabata intervals counterproductive to that goal even at just 2x/week? I'm following the protocol exactly as Tabata outlined - 20s sprint, 10s slow for 4 minutes (with warm up and cooldown).

Also, I'm eating right around 32-3500 cals a day, which I think is about right for someone my size to gain (6'2", 185 lbs).

If anyone else would like to weigh in on this, please feel free. Thanks again for your time and advice!

--TAPA

You can't build lean mass and lose fat at the same time except during special circumstances. You'll have better results if you focus on one goal at a time. So if you want to build lean mass right now, stop ding Tabata. Are you gaining weight consistently from week to week? I'm about your height and when I was 185 lbs, I needed around 3700 at the bare minimum to put on lean mass. You should be taking in 18 - 20 times your bodyweight in calories, which ends up being about 3400 - 3700 calories a day. Shoot for the higher end on workout days and keep it closer to the lower end on non-workout days.

You could also consider dropping back your sets a bit to only 2 sets per exercise. At your size, you probably aren't conditioned enough to really require more volume than that to grow.

OK, looks like I'm dropping the Tabata for now. I'll have to beef up my calorie intake as well, though I admit it's tough - it's never been easy for me to gain weight, which was fantastic when I didn't want to...I thought my metabolism would slow down some as I got closer to 30, but no such luck, it seems.

I put on some initial weight with HST, but stalled out at 185 a month or two ago. I've been sick lately, too - guess I need to just keep eating.

Re: cutting down to 2 sets - I do 1 set in 15s, 2 sets in 10s, and 3 in 5s to maintain volume - just so I'm clear, are you saying I should drop down to only 2 sets in the 5s?

Thanks!

if youve stopped all other physical activity besides the gym then stick with what your doin but if you feel pushed then drop it to 2 sets in the 5's.

your calories look fine to me,over eat and you will get fat,id say anywhere between 3000-4000 will do fine and as you gain muscle mass(around 200lb for you) those figures may have to be increased to hold on to the muscle.dont go above 4000 just a waist.

Stop Tabata

Eat more gains some size...this will definatly help strenght.

Soundslike you are overtraining.

Also sometimes you just have a bad day or week sometimes longer.

I have quit worring about every workout being the best...I try to hit my high point once or twice every two weeks.

tabata (front squats) + cutting routine = trainwreck when deadlifting.
sad.gif

Back