200, 300, 400, 500 - A quest for greatness

<div>
(_tim @ Feb. 25 2010,2:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I agree with the $0.04.  Well said, Lol.</div>
Those were £0.04.

My ability to rapidly lose squat strength is amazing.  Last night front squats felt oddly easy, today 230 in high bar squats felt like 50 lbs heavier.  Form was a bit messy and tim might have fainted at some of the bouncing I was doing.

Weirdly, I shoved in a set of paused low bar squats between 2 sets of 5 with high bar, and still managed 5 reps, albeit a little GM-ily.  It seems like when I'm tired, one of the first qualities I lose is the ability to not GM my squats and/or the ability to meaningfully harness my stretch reflex.

Firstly, don't be too hard on yourself Mike. This happens to all of us from time to time.

The key here to me is training frequency, and time between workouts. You just hit your quads with fronts LAST NIGHT. Why in holy hell would you do high bar back squats THE NEXT MORNING? You're a beast Mike but PLEASE give your body a chance to heal for more than 12 hours before you break it down again. Your core is probably exhausted - hence the GM-y ness.

Eat a whole bunch of chicken, eggs and all things amino-acid plenty, drink up the milk/protein shakes, and get some rest my friend. Then get your butt back under that 230 pound bar and it'll be light again. I promise.

<div>
(_tim @ Feb. 26 2010,8:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Firstly, don't be too hard on yourself Mike.  This happens to all of us from time to time.

The key here to me is training frequency, and time between workouts.  You just hit your quads with fronts LAST NIGHT.  Why in holy hell would you do high bar back squats THE NEXT MORNING?  You're a beast Mike but PLEASE give your body a chance to heal for more than 12 hours before you break it down again.  Your core is probably exhausted - hence the GM-y ness.

Eat a whole bunch of chicken, eggs and all things amino-acid plenty, drink up the milk/protein shakes, and get some rest my friend.  Then get your butt back under that 230 pound bar and it'll be light again.  I promise.</div>
Haha, I did it because I'm experimenting with high frequency again
smile.gif
I WILL SHOW MY BODY WHO'S BOSS.

Though srsly I may drop back down to three times a week, I am already thinking 5x per week squatting is a little ambitious...lol

Here's what the workout looked like....

High Bar Squat

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x warmup
225 x 1
245 x 1
275 x 1 (belt)
295 x 1 (belt)
235 x 5,5,5 (belt)

Chins

Me + 85 x 5,5,5

Press

120 x 5,5,5

From the vid...

Nice form Mike - I love the control. Per the comment on youtube - that was a PR? Congrats!

<div>
(_tim @ Mar. 01 2010,9:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">From the vid...

Nice form Mike - I love the control.  Per the comment on youtube - that was a PR?  Congrats!</div>
I appreciate the compliment, tim. 295 is indeed a PR, but I've done mostly low bar squatting in the past, so I should (hopefully) have a lot of room for new PR's in high bar.

Mikey, I've been trying to track down the doorway dipping bars that you use, for a friend of mine. I found something that looks similar but it's no longer manufactured:

http://www.easydip.com/

This may be what you have? If not, I wondered if you might have some info or a link to a site you could pass on please? TIA.

I am also interested in information regarding the dip bar. I had the impression that these bars weren't able to handle enough weight but you have proved me wrong at least with the bar you are using.

<div>
(Lol @ Mar. 01 2010,10:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Mikey, I've been trying to track down the doorway dipping bars that you use, for a friend of mine. I found something that looks similar but it's no longer manufactured:

http://www.easydip.com/

This may be what you have? If not, I wondered if you might have some info or a link to a site you could pass on please? TIA.</div>
Yep, it's the easydip.

My lower back on the left side was pretty tight today. Ditched front squats and I think I'll just stick to squatting thrice weekly.

Hook Grip Deadlifts

225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
375 x 3 (belt, technically an all time PR)

I haven't done this before, but given I've done 365 x 5, it isn't quite as impressive of a performance. Given my back's pre-fatigue and the fact that I haven't pulled conventional in over 2 weeks, I'll take it.

Pause Bench (all reps)

135 x warmup
185 x warmup
210 x 5,5,5

Pullups (overhand, wider grip)

Me + 45 x 5,5,5

Firstly - many, many congrats on the 375 triple dead PR. Outstanding lifting, Mike.

Secondly - the squats looked great. Is that a home gym? Very nice setup.

Jesus, fatigue is mounting like crazy. I suppose that's the point of this week but...ouch.

Pause Bench (all reps)
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
215 x 5,5,5

Pullups (overhand)
BW + 45 x 5,5,5

<div>
(_tim @ Mar. 03 2010,9:42)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Firstly - many, many congrats on the 375 triple dead PR.  Outstanding lifting, Mike.

Secondly - the squats looked great.  Is that a home gym?  Very nice setup.</div>
Danke, tim. And yep, home gym, at the parents house, as it were.

<div>
(mikeynov @ Mar. 01 2010,8:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hook Grip Deadlifts

225 x 3
275 x 3
315 x 3
375 x 3 (belt, technically an all time PR)

I haven't done this before, but given I've done 365 x 5, it isn't quite as impressive of a performance.  Given my back's pre-fatigue and the fact that I haven't pulled conventional in over 2 weeks, I'll take it.</div>
&quot;Technical&quot; counts! That's a very nice triple -- all the more so, given your fatigue.

I'm actually approaching PR bodyweight levels, too...

Actual weight is probably ~175 at the moment. I think the highest I've been in my life is like 176-177.

Hardest workout/workout week in months.

High Bar Squats

Bar x warmup
135 x warmup
185 x warmup
205 x warmup
225 x 1
These all felt like **** up to this point, so because I'm crazy...
240 x 5,5,5,5,5 (belt)

Felt awkward but actually looked okay on camera. I tightened up my bottom position quite a bit. I'll comment more on this after I post my vids later.

Press

95 x warmup
115 x warmup
125 x 5,5,5

Chins

Me + 90 x 5,5,5

So yah, absolutely brutal. Deload/intensification week next week, which will be...excellent.

Back