2016 Log

3-220kg, 1-240kg, 1-250kg@10. Core strength not happening today.

Deficit; 3x210kg+60lb bands.

SLDL; 5,5,4-170kg.

Last edited:
Nothing like pressing a heavy weight over your head.

Unless you accidentally smash your fingers between the bar and the top of the rack. That sucks.

Push presses are fun too.

Nothing like pressing a heavy weight over your head.

Unless you accidentally smash your fingers between the bar and the top of the rack. That sucks.

Push presses are fun too.

To me, OHP (strict, push, whatever) is basically upper body deadlift. You can't even get bounce out of the bottom if taken not full ROM.

Form was a mess today, very frustrating.

1-220kg, 3x1-240kg, 1-250kg@11.

SGDL; 4x3-200kg. These always seem to tighten my form up in the lower half of the lift. May as well run them back in for a while.

Cutting sucks.

Rows; 4x6-150kg.

Last edited:
To me, OHP (strict, push, whatever) is basically upper body deadlift. You can't even get bounce out of the bottom if taken not full ROM.

Can't agree more. Too many people these days are all about the bench press when I think the real test of strength for upper body (without getting into olympic lifts) is the OHP.

How long are you planning to cut for?

For a press variation, I reckon handstand (feet against wall) push-ups are worth a try and more equivalent to upper-body deads than any other form of pressing. ROM is limited and the balance element is greatly reduced. Not so easy to go above bodyweight but not impossible either. Eg. Weighted vest.
ROM can be increased by putting hands on blocks or plates, with enough space between for head to drop down to floor.
The exploding head feeling that comes from being inverted will reduce over time.

Can't agree more. Too many people these days are all about the bench press when I think the real test of strength for upper body (without getting into olympic lifts) is the OHP.

6-8kgs this time?

Probably 3 months or so. I'm expecting that deads and squats will return to normal once I've accommodated the hunger and change etc. IMO the lower body lifts are less impacted be a sensible cut due to your weight loss reducing work required. Usually better leverages for the deadlift as well.

5x3-220kg@8,8,8,9.5,9.5.

PFS; 3x3-100kg.

Figured out the form issues; dropping hips too low.

For a press variation, I reckon handstand (feet against wall) push-ups are worth a try and more equivalent to upper-body deads than any other form of pressing. ROM is limited and the balance element is greatly reduced. Not so easy to go above bodyweight but not impossible either. Eg. Weighted vest.
ROM can be increased by putting hands on blocks or plates, with enough space between for head to drop down to floor.
The exploding head feeling that comes from being inverted will reduce over time.

OHP over bench any day and all day.

Bench is kind of like squatting in a suit.

Back