_tim's Log

Edited to add this quote from Lol:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I would now progress from 235lb and add 5lb each session but do three 'sets' with the same load. Try to match the times for each set with those of the previous session.</div>

Thanks Lol - sounds like a plan. Out of curiosity, what length of time should I be shooting for? A minute? That's always been my goal in the past when I was using DB's for my static holds. I'm going to do these at least twice per week, so hopefully I'll see my grip strength increase through the rest of this cycle.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Do you mean a minute total time or a minute for a single set? My preference would be to start with a load I can hold for ~30 seconds per set and to do several sets with it.

As the loads increase over a cycle, try to ensure that you can hold the first set (when you are freshest) for not less than 10 seconds. So, in other words, view the load you can hold for only 10 seconds as your 1RM and work up to that.

I actually meant for a single set. I like the idea of the 10 second load being similar to my 1-rep max. That gives me a great way to quantify my progress. Thanks, Lol.

Chest

Incline DB press: 50 x 20; 55 x 20; 60 x 8 - I'm proud of that second set. Getting two sets of 20 on any exercise is a big win for me.

Decline Bench: 155 x 19, 12, 7 - That first set was enough. I was fatigued from the inclines, and I fought hard for those reps. I didn't have a spotter, and knowing that I was feelin' it hardcore, I didn't go for #20. Honestly, I almost didn't get #19; a last second push got me through the rep.

Dips: BW x 9, 6, 4 - Yeah, I was fried.

Feel good about this one.

<div>
(_tim @ Oct. 31 2007,09:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Decline Bench: 155 x 19, 12, 7 - That first set was enough. I was fatigued from the inclines, and I fought hard for those reps. I didn't have a spotter, and knowing that I was feelin' it hardcore, I didn't go for #20. Honestly, I almost didn't get #19; a last second push got me through the rep.</div>
Be careful doing decline bench without a spotter -- especially if you are getting close to failure. Getting pinned by a barbell can be embarassing on a flat bench. On a decline bench that bar can nearly take your head off...

I completely agree. I was within shouting distance of one of my buddies, so if I would have gotten stuck mid-rep, I could have gotten help. Regardless, I agree Tunnelrat. No spotter for certain exercises is just plain stupid, regardless of load or rep scheme.

Currently on a life-related SD. Hopefully back soon; hope you lads are well.

Squat Day

135 x 15

185 x 10

225 x 8

255 x 5

275 x 3

300 x 1, 2
- Second rep was kinda ugly.

To finish up, I was going to try and do a metabolic set at 225, but got 3 reps. I was quite a bit more fatigued than I thought.

Hopefully, I can finish out this very compressed power week. We'll see.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">As far as met sets are concerned, I usually jump in the 15 rep range.</div>

Yup - I was shooting for between 15 and 17 reps. My legs thought different. I'm pretty sure it was that second set of 300 - but who knows. I worked hard this morning in every set except maybe the 135 set.

nice squatting Tim! looks like you're planning something similar again this time? what's your bodyweight like these days?

<div>
(fearfactory @ Nov. 07 2007,17:34)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">nice squatting Tim! looks like you're planning something similar again this time? what's your bodyweight like these days?</div>
Thanks FF! Believe it or not, I'm treating this as the same cycle; I kinda feel like everything I have going on right now may take me out of the gym for a few days at a time (like this past week) for pretty much the rest of the year. I'm going to continue this style of workout for about another 3 weeks, then flip to my take on Russ' 10x3.

Bodyweight-wise, I'm sitting at about 195 right now, at 8% bodyfat.

Bench Day

135 x 15

185 x 10

205 x 5

225 x 2

235 x 1

245 x 3 - spotter

255 x 2 - spotter

265 x 2 PB
mad.gif
- spotter

Step down:

185 x 7, 4

Those last three heavy sets supposedly were all me. In fact, the guy who spotted me at 245 thought I had 5 in me. I dunno - maybe this is a step forward, knowing that half my battle is mental. But, the bottom of the rep is a concern to me. Anybody know a good way to train that part of the rep? Partials? Flies?

Love the PB, though, regardless.

<div>
(_tim @ Nov. 08 2007,08:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Bodyweight-wise, I'm sitting at about 195 right now, at 8% bodyfat.</div>
congrats on the PB and outstanding numbers!

I'm not much of a powerlifter, so nothing substantial to offer on the bottom part of the bench rep. I have been reading some articles at deepsquatter.com...and would bet there's some good stuff there for you.

Thanks FF! I'm happy with the PB, but really feel that my bench needs to be better. I'm no competitive powerlifter either - so I'm not honestly sure why I place so much emphasis on it. I guess it's this disease we all have. What's quad's tag line? &quot;It's not just a hobby&quot;, right? That pretty much sums it up.

deepsquatter.com has some great, great information. Thanks for the referral!

Well, back to back days of lifting at or near my maxes has me sore and feeling some CNS strain. I typically have at least one day in between to heal up when I do these power weeks. So, unfortunately, no max deadlift attempts this week. No biggie - I'm plenty happy with my squat and bench progress this week.

Back Day, Volume Week 4

Cable Pulldown, pronated grip: 120 x 20; 130 x 20; 140 x 11
- Quite happy with these.

Hammer Strength Row, wide, neutral grip: 90 x 20; 100 x 20; 110 x 20 - TRIFECTA! Yes, this was light weight - but the grip honestly targeted one of the weakest parts of my back.

Lastly, the back finisher I posted about a while back - a set of pullups, a set of chins, a set of netural-grip pullups, all with 5 seconds in between, all with the only goal of doing as many as you can.

Set 1: 3, 2, 1
Set 2: 2, 1.5, 1.25

Yeah, I was cooked.

10 minutes HIIT.

OUT

Chest Day

DB Incline Press: 50 x 20; 55 x 20; 60 x 6
- Considering where I was about 4 weeks back at this volume, for this exercise, I'm thrilled.

Dips: BW x 13, 7, 7 - I leaned forward and extended the rep to the very bottom of my range. Yeah, this was crazy intense. I'm never going to do dips differently, though - I don't know that I've ever hit my chest quite like that.

DB Fly - 30 x 7.5, 5.5, 4 - Yup - DEAD.

Followed that up with 8 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill, Draper style. I've been working up to this for a while now, and I'll continue to progress toward his 12-minute session. Today, it looked like this:

2 minutes of a warmup pace
4 minutes of :30/:30 intervals
2 minutes cool down

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, I was cooked.</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yup - DEAD.</div>

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Yeah, I was fried.</div>

I see a trend... want HST back?

<div>
(colby2152 @ Nov. 13 2007,09:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I see a trend... want HST back?</div>
Not just yet. I'm having way too much fun.

Legs

Zercher Squats: 115 x 10; 135 x 10; 165 x 5
- a buddy of mine in the gym suggested that I give these a try - colby has as well. This was my first attempt, and I must say, this is a great, great exercise. If you're unfamiliar, click here. Next time, I'll go a bit heavier. It almost feels as though you can go lower than a typical back squat, but I'm sure it's just the way the load feels. My buddy claims that a few sets of these will destroy the abs. We'll see.

SLDL: 165 x 18, 9, 7 - ALMOST hit 20! I fought hard for those reps.

Single-Leg Standing Calf Raises: 60 x 12, 8, 4 - Apparently, my calves assisted during my SLDL effort (yes, I know they're a synergist.
biggrin.gif
)

Single-Leg Extensions: 100 x 12 - I just wanted to do one more set, specific to my quads. The extension machine was handy, so there we go.

At that, my time came to an end, I stretched, and held back the vomit that desperately wanted to present itself.

Good times.

Back