_tim's Log

<div>
(_tim @ Dec. 12 2007,11:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sick with some variant of the flu. I'll restart the cycle on Monday (12/17) @ 90%.</div>
Picking up where you left off instead of starting over, smart move as you won't waste much time. One day of hard lifting won't hurt ya!

Yeah, I couldn't see going back to 80%; my body has already adapted to the program - now it's just a question of growing strength to be able to handle the loads I have mapped out. This cycle is going so well, in fact, that when I've hit the wall, I think I'll do a deload week and then start over with maybe just a couple slight modifications to my exercise selection. I love the 3's - and I love just doing 3 exercises per workout. I think I have the core HST principles firmly entrenched in the program, so what the heck else is there?

That is, perhaps, except getting over this damn flu bug and GETTING BACK IN THE GYM TO ACTUALLY WORK OUT!
mad.gif

OK. So the flu thing turned into what appears to be a sinus infection. Looks like I may restart the cycle sometime after the holidays @ 85%. I hate being sick.

<div>
(_tim @ Dec. 18 2007,09:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OK. So the flu thing turned into what appears to be a sinus infection. Looks like I may restart the cycle sometime after the holidays @ 85%. I hate being sick.</div>
Blah... good luck with that! However, don't be afraid to visit all the other logs while you are down and out of lifting my friend!

Trust me - I've been reading up on ALL you guys and your progress. I'm crazy proud of everyone in this web community for their dedication to the art of all things HST/SST/MS etc., and I'm just happy to be a part of it.

<div>
(_tim @ Dec. 18 2007,09:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">OK. So the flu thing turned into what appears to be a sinus infection. Looks like I may restart the cycle sometime after the holidays @ 85%. I hate being sick.</div>
That sucks. Are you getting medication or anything? That's sort of what happened to me last year, it eventually progressed into bronchitis and then pneumonia. Ruined the winter for me and destroyed all my hard work from 2006. So... hope you're getting taken care of.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to stick with what you've been doing, once you get back into lifting. It is a good routine.

Totentanz, both you and I were really sick last winter. I forget what you had, but after my appendectomy, I was hit with bronchitis, an ear infection, sinus infections, had to get tubes inserted in my ears, and then I had a bout with a stomach infection for a total of six months of blah.

All the best Tim. Get well mate. Winter bugs suck! Keep reading the good stuff and you will be back more determined than ever next cycle.

Thanks guys. My doc apparently got serious about fixing me and has me on a crazy strong antibiotic along with an OTC decongestant. He's promised that I'll feel better in 3 days - something reiterated, strangely, by the pharmacist when I picked the drugs up.

After all of this sickness crap, I've lost about 12 pounds. I know a bunch of that came from the 4 days that I didn't eat (nearly literally; i took in maybe 300 calories per day) during the flu thing. I still really don't have much of an appetite, which for me is just strange. I'm hoping I haven't lost much ground on the strength I was gaining, but I'm afraid that some of that 12 pounds that I lost had to have been muscle tissue.

I'll get back into the lifting disease next week, hopefully. The last time I said that, I got a sinus infection - so this time, I'm being purposefully vague.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Dec. 18 2007,20:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Totentanz, both you and I were really sick last winter. I forget what you had, but after my appendectomy, I was hit with bronchitis, an ear infection, sinus infections, had to get tubes inserted in my ears, and then I had a bout with a stomach infection for a total of six months of blah.</div>
Well my problem was that I got sick and, like a moron, just blew it off like usual, kept working and didn't take it easy. It kept getting worse and by the time I finally went in to get it looked at, it had become pneumonia and who knows what else. I went a whole week without eating except for whatever caloric content was in the soda and tea that I drank and managed not to vomit back up immediately after consuming.

That was one of the stupidest things I've ever done to myself. Lesson learned - don't let stuff like that go.

Tim, glad to hear that you are getting fixed up. If that stuff really gets you back on your feet in only three days, you've got to let me know what it is. Hah.
Don't worry too much about the 12 lbs. A lot of it is no doubt water and carbs, and whatever muscle you did lose, I'm sure you'll gain back quickly when you start lifting again.

In any event, good luck with your recovery.

I'm just about back to being healthy, so my log entries will soon shift from being sick rants to cycle updates.

In any case, to anyone who reads this who happens to celebrate it - Have a very Merry Christmas!
smile.gif

Triples - Pull @ 80%, Make-Up

Yes, this is a post about a workout. That has to be hard to believe given the past two weeks! I actually missed this workout at the end of my first week, so putting it in to get back in the swing of things seemed appropriate.

HIIT - 6 minutes with 20 second sprints.

DB Row: WU: 55 x 10; 65 x 5
10 x 3 @ 75 - felt good, but my left side is definitely weaker than my right.

Chins: WU: BW x 6
BW+25 x 4; BW+15 x 4; BW+10 x 3; BW+5 x 2.5 - so after my warmup, I realized that I wasn't going to get a 4x6 @ BW+25. So, I figured I'd do a reverse pyramid starting at what my goal load was and see what happened.

Sumo Deads: 195 x 9 - my form sucked, so I kept it at one set.

So, next week I'll re-do my 85% week. That should get me back on track.

Thanks Sci!!!!!

Triples - Push @ 80%, Re-Do

So it dawned on me when I was planning out my workout that I hadn't used my triceps in over 2 weeks. So - I figured starting off at 85% RM probably wasn't the best idea. I decided to do my first two triples workouts back at 80% for today and tomorrow, then get to 85% RM next week with fully-woken-up muscle fibers.

This was perhaps the most disjointed workout I've ever had. I'm lucky to have a bunch of great friends, and I'll never begrudge that. Thing is, my buddies love to talk, and when they don't see me for a while, there's lots to talk about. That sorta made the flow of the workout anything but smooth.

Bench Press: WU: 135 x 10; 165 x 8
10 x 3 @ 195 - yeah, my tris needed a good wake-up call. 195 felt way heavier than it should have.

ATG Squats: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 6
4 x 6 @ 205 - due to time constraints, my last three sets were done in a ridiculous superset with my standing presses, with no rest between each superset. My legs just now started to feel a bit tingly. My thinks me be sore on the morrow.

Standing Press: 95 x 12, 95 x 5 - apparently my deltoids were sleeping too.

Regardless of how the workout went, I'm so glad to be back in the cycle. I love this setup. Thanks again, Russ!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> My thinks me be sore on the morrow.</div>

I am sure you will... so what are your thoughts on all these different lifting routines?

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 03 2008,10:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">l... so what are your thoughts on all these different lifting routines?</div>
Well colby, let's see if I can summarize:

HST: LOVE it. Love the principles, love the setup. I learned my lesson with making my program too involved; so with a simple routine, I believe conventional HST to be nothing short of a great bread and butter routine to grow.

SST: Specifically, strict 5x5 work. BORING. I did not care for this type of workout because personally, I didn't feel good afterwards. I felt sloppy, not stronger. If I ever did a 5x5 again, I think I'd go with the Madcow variety.

Olympic: AMAZING, once form begins to improve. My form is STILL improving - hence I only use the Oly lifts as warmups so I can practice form. Rest assured - when I feel that I am able to sustain a full cycle of Oly work, I will.

Power/Volume: A personal favorite, something I will definitely do again. My strength gains were way beyond expectation, and hitting PRs just about every other week was very nice. I loved how I felt for the whole cycle, without exception.

Triples: My new bread and butter - I think. My favorite all-around butt kicking - I think (again). I love the strength aspects, I love the endurance aspects, I love the &quot;metabolic&quot; aspects (I know they're not really metabolic, but it feels like it). I love that the HST principles are built in. I need to make it all the way through the cycle to see what my final results will be to truly determine if this really will be my new bread and butter. As it stands today, I'll be doing this routine with differing exercises as my primary workout, and a couple times per year change things up and do a power/volume cycle or an Oly cycle just to keep things interesting.

Is that what you were looking for, my Nittany Lion friend?
smile.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 03 2008,12:01)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That is exactly what I was looking for Tim! Your thoughts on Olympic work make me interested in those lifts.</div>
I'm so glad, colby. Oly lifting is incredible. Form is absolutely everything - so being able to increase the load is 100% dependent on form. I cannot speak to the results that one would get doing a solely Oly-focused cycle, but my suspicion is that strength levels would go through the roof and size would increase dramatically. The only concern I have with it is stress on the joints. Perhaps, though, with impeccable form, that really isn't a concern to have.

Regardless, learn the lifts. I think you'll really like them once you truly start to get the form down. Until then, though, be warned - they can be very intimidating, and a bit frustrating. In the end, Oly lifting is incredible.

Back