_tim's Log

what thickness of bar did you use for the Zerchers? how did it feel on your lower thighs & forearms?

<div>
(fearfactory @ Nov. 14 2007,21:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">what thickness of bar did you use for the Zerchers?  how did it feel on your lower thighs &amp; forearms?</div>
I think it was 2&quot;, but honestly that's a guess; they're the only bars that our gym has.  FF, when you say &quot;lower thighs&quot; do you mean my hamstrings, or the part of my quadricep by my knee joint?  Regardless, they were very comfortable, and afforded an amazing stretch at the bottom.  It truly felt different than a back squat, but I'm sure I was as low as I normally go.  It didn't hurt my forearms per se, but it was a tad uncomfortable on the inside of my elbow joint, just because the bar was sitting on a couple of the biggest veins on my arms.

I hope that answered your questions!

I didn't feel that comfortable with Zercher Squats. It was too much pressure on my forearm/elbows.... similar issues to why I quit front squats. I am glad you felt comfortable with the lift. My new thing is the Jefferson squat.

colby - I can see where you'd say that. I'm going to put them into my next cycle and see how it goes.

Speaking of, some news.

My current cycle has been hugely successful. My strength and size gains are quite noticeable - to the point where it's time to quit growing. My legs are starting to get too big. My chest, delts, and arms could definitely be bigger, but the issue is my legs. I've been doing this cycle for 10 weeks now, and had planned to take it out two more weeks. I think rather, it's time to stop this cycle and move on to my 10x3 cycle I've been planning based off of Russ' model to focus much more on strength.

So, next week will be a deload/readjustment week for me to establish my rep range maxes for the cycle. The 10x3 festivities officially kick off 11/26. I'll log my findings next week, as well as outline my plan.

Planning for next cycle.

Well, my take on the 10x3 will go like this:

I'll use three exercises per workout, and use three different rep schemes: a 10x3, a 4x6, a 2x15.  Monday-Thursday will be a push workout, Tuesday-Friday will be a pull workout.  Wednesdays will be an off day reserved for yoga.  Each workout will feature a warmup of Draper-style HIIT work on the tradmill or ellyptical, and, time permitting, a couple sets of Zercher squats or Cleans or Snatches.

My push workout will be:

ATG Squats
Bench Press
Standing Press

My pull workout will be:

Sumo Deads
Chins
DB Rows

Once the weights get to be too much, I'll start alternating SLDL work for my Deads on Fridays.  I'm going to try and do Deads twice per week for at least the first couple weeks.

I'll start at 80% of my rep max for each rep range.  I'll be progressing the loads weekly and hope to have this cycle go at least 10 weeks - that would put me at 125% of my current maxes.  When I do start the SLDL work, I'll start those at my 80% RM loads to keep that weight lagging and take some of the stress off of my lower back and hamstrings.

Last thing - for my Bench work, I may inject a couple sets of negatives during my Thursday workout.  This exercise isn't where I want it, and the negatives may prove to be the plateau breaker I need.

Let me know what you think.  The fun starts 11/26.

will you be spending a specified amount of time w/ those set/rep schemes? I'll be interested to see if you gain strength w/out adding addl size.

<div>
(fearfactory @ Nov. 18 2007,22:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">will you be spending a specified amount of time w/ those set/rep schemes?  I'll be interested to see if you gain strength w/out adding addl size.</div>
I'm hoping for 10 weeks, FF. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll gain some size, but I'm hoping that it will be more of a strength cycle than one focused on hypertrophy.

Triples - Push @ 80% Day 1

Back from my SD. Felt like it, too.

WU:
HIIT 12 minutes Draper style on the treadmill

Bench Press: WU 135 x 15; 165 x 8
10 x 3 @ 195 - tri's felt like jelly.

ATG Squats: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 8
4 x 6 @ 205 - man, these felt great. I love squats!

Standing Press:
cluster - 10 + 5; 3 @ 90
- yes, 90 pounds. when Russ said that these longer sets felt metabolic after the heavier stuff, he wasn't kidding. This was supposed to be my 2 x 15.

Good start to the new cycle.

Triples - Pull @ 80% Day 1

WU: HIIT 12 minutes Draper style on the elliptical machine. My last two sprints were shortened by :08 and :10 respectively; on the treadmill, you have this gradual buildup to the sprint while the machine speeds up. On the elliptical machine, you just go. That was really, really hard for me. So - no more treadmill., Elliptical and Bike will be my preferred HIIT torturing devices. On to the workout...

CG Chins: WU: BW x 7
10 x 3 @ BW+25 - I haven't done chins in a very long time. I'm so glad they are part of this cycle - I really struggled the last couple sets.

Sumo Deads: WU: 135 x 10
4 x 6 @235 - I was worried about these after my HIIT work and after squats yesterday. I shouldn't have been - the sets went well. I had to use straps - that's the only downside. I'll do my static hold work again starting on Friday. Had I started on Monday, I would have done the static hold stuff today - but without a break in the week, I don't want to jeopardize my push work tomorrow.

DB Row: 2 x 15 @ 50 - The last set was insanely hard. With 50 pounds. I love this!

Triples - Push @ 80% Day 2

Not having a day break is a very, very bad thing with this program. Had I gotten to the gym on Monday, I would have taken Wednesday off, and wouldn't be feeling the DOMS as intensely...

No HIIT today - my legs are sore as hell. I instead did light sets of Hang Cleans in between my 3's.

Standing Press: WU: 45 x 10
5 x 3 @95; 5 x 3 @ 115 - When I first got warmed up, 95 pounds felt incredibly heavy, but I thought maybe it was due to fatigue. I stayed with it and the sets got easier - so I switched the load up to 115 to finish up. This is without a doubt the lift I have to work the most on - my delts are pathetic.

Bench Press: WU: 135 x 10
4 x 6 @ 185 - Set 3 was clustered 5-1, and the last set I use a spotter on and needed help on the last rep. I firmly believe that all 4 sets would have been easy with a rest day.

ATG Squats: cluster - 9 + 6, 4 @ 185 - form started to suffer badly on my second set, so I stopped.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Nov. 29 2007,11:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Tim, do you still do yoga?</div>
Hey colby!

Yes - I do an hour of yoga on off days and use several of the postures to stretch before and after a workout.

Triples - Push @ 85% Day 1

HIIT 12 minutes - ellipse

ATG Squats: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 8
10 x 3 @ 245 - Squats after HIIT = no more energy.

Standing Press: WU: 45 x 10; 95 x 8
115 x 5; 105 x 5; 95 x 3 - Either I had my weight figure way too high, or the warmup set at 95 killed me. Dunno. But regardless, these sets were definitely not my best.

Bench Press: cluster 11-3-1 @ 175 - At this point, I was pretty much cooked. One set was plenty, clustered as it was.

TIME.

Triples - Pull @ 85% Day 1

I had no time for HIIT, so I did sort of an interesting warmup:

Zercher Squats + Cleans + Snatches - all with the bar only; go until winded, rest to a count of five, next exercise. Repeat. Warmup complete. I'll start adding weight next time; it was just nice to do the Olympic work again. I actually think I'll rotate this warmup with HIIT - that'll save my legs.

Sumo Deads: wu: 135 x 10; 185 x 8; 235 x 5
10 x 3 @ 275 - My shins took a bit of a beating - but what the heck should I expect with 10 sets? Good, clean reps - that's what I shot for every set and I actaully think my form IMPROVED as the sets went on.

DB Row: wu: 45 x 10
4 x 6 @ 65 - Perhaps just a tad light, but I'll give it another week before I readjust the load figures.

Chins: CLUSTER: 7 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 - I remember back when I did my HST cycle, Tot told me that if I clustered these with bodyweight, eventually I'd have enough strength to hit the full rep count without stopping. So - same thing goes here. I'm about 10 pounds heavier than the last time I did chins, so it may take a while before I actually can do the full 15. Until I can do at least one full set of 15 without clustering the reps, I'm going to refrain from adding weight.

Triples - Push @ 85% Day 2

HIIT Draper-style - 12 minutes

Bench Press: WU: 135 x 10, 185 x 5
10 x 3 @ 215 - NO SPOTTER HELP.

ATG Squats: WU: 135 x 10
4 x 6 @ 215 - God, I love squats.

Standing Press: 1 x 12, 1 x 6 @ 95 - I think I'm going to formally change my 2 x 15 to 2 x 12. After HIIT and two heavier exercises, those last two sets are impossibly hard for me. So - 2 x 12 it is.

Damn good workout.

Triples - Pull @ 85% Day 2

WU:
Hang Clean: 2 x 5 @ 95
Hang Snatch: 2 x 5 @ 95

Chins: WU: BW x 8
10 x 3 @ BW+35 - clustered the 8th and 10th sets 2-1.

Sumo Deads: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 8
4 x 6 @ 255

DB Row:
2 x 12 @ 55

I am loving this routine! Thanks Russ!

On to 90%.....

Triples - Push @ 90% Day 1

HIIT 12 minutes Draper-style on the ellipse.

Standing Press: WU: 45 x 12, 95 x 8
2 x 3 @ 130; 8 x 3 @ 120 - 130 was doable, but there was no way I could have done all 10 sets. I think that may be within 5 of my 3-rep max, so I'll readjust.

Bench Press: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 5
205 x 6, 205 x 5; 195 x 3, 195 x 2 - Um, bench after standing press doesn't work so well for me.

ATG Squats: 205 x 12 - Just had time for one set.

The loads are getting kinda heavy...

<div>
(_tim @ Dec. 12 2007,11:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sick with some variant of the flu. I'll restart the cycle on Monday (12/17) @ 90%.</div>
That is a real bummer. I know how you feel though. Good luck with your recovery.

Back