_tim's Log

Triples - Pull @ 80% Re-Do

This felt just friggin' great. I love this. Didn't have time for HIIT this morning, but I think I'll make that up tonight.

CG Chins: WU: BW x 8; BW+10 x 5
10 x 3 @ BW+25 - The last set was almost a miss on the third rep. I got through it, then got back up on the bar and did a static hold for about 15 seconds at mid-rep to force more punishment on my biceps, which as per the norm are lagging. I have to get them stronger so I can really strengthen my back.

Sumo Deads: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 8
4 x 6 @ 235 - I corrected my form issues from last Friday and just focused on the lift. These were some of the cleanest deads I've ever done. I've finally figured out part of the lift that had been plaguing me; I wasn't moving my butt enough on the descent, putting way more stress on my lower back than I should have. Making that simple change made the lift smooth - very similar to what I went through with my squat form. It also made me feel it in my abs like never before. Very, very cool.

DB Row: 2 x 12 @ 55 - My second set for my left arm was clustered 6-4-2. I sorta ran out of gas; the first set of 12 really fatigued me after some light but taxing dead work. The second set just obliterated me energy-wise.

Damn good.

Triples - Push @ 85% Re-Do

Been a crazy week between work and the awful game on Monday night. I've waited for a YEAR to see that lessons were learned, only to see that they were for a quarter. Awful. Couple the end of the Buckeyes season with the end of the Browns season and you have what has become a very rough sports year for me.

On to the workout...

No time for HIIT today. To be honest, I'm amazed I got a full one in today.

ATG Squats: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 8; 215 x 5
10 x 3 @ 245 - I really had to work my form today. I think I've lost a bit of strength in my lower back to be able to handle heavier squats. I'm not worried - a couple weeks of deads and I'll be right back to where I was.

Standing Press: WU: 75 x 10; 85 x 8; 95 x 7
4 x 6 @ 105 - HEAVILY CLUSTERED; the second through fourth sets were clustered 5+1, 5+1, 3+2+1 respectively. I decided to leave the load where it was and push through to try and garner some strength in my delts and triceps. If these continue to require heavy clustering at this rep range as the cycle goes on, I'll adjust the load downward.

Bench Press: 175 x 10+2 (cluster); 175 x 7 with spotter, fail - Yeah, this really reflects how a disjointed schedule can mess with my endurance levels. 175 is not heavy for me, and to fail after 7 reps is just this side of embarrassing for me.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Been a crazy week between work and the awful game on Monday night. I've waited for a YEAR to see that lessons were learned, only to see that they were for a quarter. Awful. Couple the end of the Buckeyes season with the end of the Browns season and you have what has become a very rough sports year for me.</div>

And to think that Jim Tressel was going back to basics...

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 09 2008,09:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">And to think that Jim Tressel was going back to basics...</div>
That's what kills me, colby. What they did in the first quarter worked because it wasn't typical Buckeye football. Going back to the basics meant 3 and out or a turnover every possession - and that fatigued the defense, and that was the end of the game. I just wonder now who of the current juniors will return. Based on how they were coached, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn that a majority of those 13 guys decide to enter the draft.

Well, Penn State has a QB change, and as much as I disliked Morelli, it doesn't bode well. I'll take some growing pains with Devlin for a year if he can be much better than Morelli was hyped up to be. Clark will probably end up being the starter though.

You know, I just hope the Big 10 can redeem itself. Penn State, Wisconsin, State-Up-North (sorry man, I pattern myself after Woody, and if didn't say it, neither will I) - all three schools have been dominant in the past. All three have won national championships - albeit pre-BCS. I don't know what it will take, but the Big 10 has to become competitive nationally again. Growing pains are one thing - it's going through getting that new quarterback and watching him excel in his second and third seasons that make the growing pains worth it.

Well, the Big Ten performed bad again this year going 3-5 and OSU losing the national championship again. Times are a changin', but so is the Big Ten. Lloyd Carr is out as Michigan coach... MSU is showing promise, Wisconsin's new coach has done well for himself. Ron Zook has created a high flying offense in Illinois. OSU, although losing two national championship games in a row, has done well for themselves. PSU has risen back out of the ashes that were the Zack Mills years, and has been winning bowl games. The conference as a whole looks good IMO.

Well my friend, I suppose we'll see what all these changes mean in about 9 months or so. I hope that all the teams do well - we're getting killed in the media. I've actually heard one analyst say that the Big 10 shouldn't be division 1 anymore. The whole thing makes me sick.

The Big Ten shouldn't be D-1 anymore? The person who said such a thing is an idiot, and should lose their job. Any justification behind what they said?

In bowl games, the Big Ten lines itself up against the SEC which is another cut-throat conference, and IMO the best conference there is. It also plays the Big 12, which I feel is the 3rd best conference. Big10 champ plays Pac10 champ which is a toss up most of the time. The Big10's record against other conferences is much higher than people think.

http://montaraventures.com/blog/2007/09/27/which-conference-is-worst/

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 09 2008,13:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The Big Ten shouldn't be D-1 anymore? The person who said such a thing is an idiot, and should lose their job. Any justification behind what they said?</div>
No - he was saying all that because of the poor performance of Big Ten teams in inter-conference play this year. Agreed - the guy was an idiot and should lose his job. There have been many other years that I can remember other conferences really not doing well.

Woo - hoo! 400 posts!

Triples - Pull @ 85% Re-Do

My warmup today was my non-HIIT workout. My legs are sore from squatting yesterday, so I figured since I was doing deads today to take it rather easy on 'em for the warmup.

Zercher Squats: 2 x 5 @ 105
Hang Cleans: 2 x 5 @ 105
Hang Snatch: 2 x 8 @ 45 (form work with bar only)

Sumo Deads: WU: 135 x 10; 215 x 8; 285! x 3
10 x 3 @ 275
- That third warmup set should have been 255. For some reason, I put 285 on the bar. I got kinda nervous that I'd lost a ton of strength because what I thought was 255 felt damn heavy! I treated that last warmup set as my first set of the 10 x 3.

DB Row: WU: 45 x 10
4 x 6 @ 65 - TOO LIGHT. Switching up at least 10 pounds for the rest of the progression.

Chins: 2 x 12 @ BW - VERY HEAVILY CLUSTERED: 8-2-2 and 4-2-1-2-2-1 respectively. I fought through the sets for the sole reason of garnering strength and pushing endurance levels. It was well worth the effort; I'm friggin' sick of lagging muscle groups, and if I have to cluster my reps to hit my rep goals, so be it. One way or another, my total workload WILL garner an increase in strength.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I did my deads today without a belt. I wanted to give it a shot based on this poll/topic.

Triples - Push @ 85% Re-Do

Work has kinda forced me to alter the schedule for the cycle a bit; it appears that the weeks will now be split between two different load percentages. In the case of this week, M-Tu will be at 85% and Th-F will be at 90%. It's a miracle I got this one in today - I was late as anything getting to the gym.

No time for HIIT today - tomorrow hopefully.

Bench Press: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 8
3 x 3 @ 215; 7 x 3 @ 205 - I know the first time around, I hit all 10 sets at 215. Today, that weight felt excessive. I know the days I've missed haven't helped, but I'm surprised that I couldn't get through the sets at 215.

ATG Squats: WU:135 x 10; 185 x 8
4 x 6 @ 215 - Felt good.

Standing Press: 2 x 12 @ 95 - second set was clustered 4-2-2-2-2. At least I got 'em in - something I didn't do in the first part of the cycle.

Tim, how were deads without a belt? What differences, if any, did you notice? BTW, ten sets of 3's for Bench Press is insane. It was tough for me to do one set of 3's at 205 yesterday!

Hey colby! Deads without a belt felt strange, and affected my form at first. I adjusted to it, though, and think I'm going to stick with doing them without a belt simply because I felt that it forced me to use my abs 10,000% more for the lift.

The 10 x 3 is insane - and that's why I love it. The workout makes me feel amazing - and if I could actually string together a few weeks of consistent lifting, I honestly believe that the results would be out of this world.

Triples - Pull @ 85% Re-Do

HIIT on the ellipse, 8 minutes (6 sprints), :20 sprint times.

Chins: WU: BW x 8; BW+15 x 5
4 x 3 @ BW+35; 6 x 3 @ BW+25 - This was very, very strange. The 35 just felt way too heavy, but I decided to continue until I had to cluster the reps. That happened in the 4th set, where I went 2-1. I backed off to the quarter thinking that I'd fatigued my biceps enough to justify that adjustment. The first 3 sets were rather hard. The last three sets, however, were EASY. I have no explanation for this; I had the same amount of rest between sets for those sets as I did for all the others. I can't honestly say that this is muscle memory, because if I'm not mistaken, that usually refers to size gains. Regardless, this was a weird start, especially given the fact that the were the LAST sets.

Sumo Deads: WU: 135 x 10; 185 x 6; 225 x 6
4 x 6 @ 255 - I didn't use a belt (again) and these felt great.

DB Rows: 12 x 2 @ 55 - about 5 pounds too light for any kind of major fatigue.

I supersetted the rows with BB static holds. I have gotten off track with my grip training, so this was a first step back into that arena.

BB Static Hold: 225 @ 30s; 225 @ 15s - These are so humbling for me.

What is the outline of the 10 x 3 routine? It looks like it is a mixed distribution of reps and sets between different exercises.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 15 2008,10:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What is the outline of the 10 x 3 routine? It looks like it is a mixed distribution of reps and sets between different exercises.</div>
Hey colby -

I'm using Russ' version, documented HERE.

Basically - it's a two-workout (push/pull) setup, with every workout featuring a 10 x 3, a 4 x 6 and a 12 x 2 rep scheme. The exercises are rotated every workout, and the HST principles are firmly ingrained in what I laid out for my adaptation of the program.

I liked Russ' setup, but I think the only reason I wasn't gung ho about it was that it doesn't follow HST principles exactly. The load progresses over time, but it zig-zags when it goes from 80% 1RM to 80% 12RM (X amount of reps). It is the same argument I used against the 15-10-5 in one week scheme (decreased load from 5 rep to 15 rep days).

I actually maintain a spreadsheet (in excel format) of all my workouts. Would you like a copy? I've tried to build in the HST principles as best as I can for this routine.

Also on there are all of my other workouts - though the power/volume routine really has no data in it.

I understand what you're saying though, colby. That's why I made the tweaks I did.

Let me know on the spreadsheet - either here in the log or through a private message.

I am always interested in peoples' workout and/or diet spreadsheets. Feel free to PM it to me.

While eating lunch (baked beans and pirogies - had to change it up from the usual tuna) today, I thought of an SST specific routine based on the 10 sets of 3's...

Three day SST split combo of 10x3 and Westside
Day 1: Deadlift 10 x 3, Speed Squats 3 x 15
Day 2: Squats 10 x 3, Speed Cleans 3 x 15
Day 3: Cleans 10 x 3, Speed Deadlifts 3 x 15

10 x 3 starts off at 80% 1RM, and 3 x 15 speed starts at 70-80% of 15RM... The 10 x 3 can have 10% increases each week for strength purposes. The speed exercises work the high reps for extra volume and endurance work. The load still progresses each week, but zig-zags just like the Russ 10 x 3 routine does within the week. Combined with caloric wave loading, the trainee can customizable this strength routine to be hypertrophy specific just as well. This routine can also be thrown in with a standard 3x/week HST cycle. Obviously, it is only advises for an HST veteran who is interested in high frequency lifting with extreme specialization.

---Sorry to hijack your log Tim as this tidbit probably pertains to my log a bit more, but I can't help but keep up the quality discussion here!
biggrin.gif

Back