Back to Basics

That video is funny as hell but also very revealing. It's kind of funny how insecure people are about their size. I don't really understand it. I know the guy in the video is being obnoxious, but just in real life, at the gym, whatever, I was always respectful of those with more experience than me. Lots of people aren't. Like this guy at the gym the other day. So yeah, I get annoyed with the littler guys who slam dumb bells around, rough up the machinery, monopolize equipment, flex and pose in front of the mirror between sets. I get annoyed when the bigger guys do that too, but I don't see many big guys at the gym, and I rarely ever see any of them pulling the crap.
I really wish I had a fully equipped home gym. Maybe once I buy a house instead of just continually renting.

To be honest, I haven't properly deadlifted in a while, at least not regularly, and my whole core is experiencing significant DOMs from just that. Typically for a warmup, I do a light set of 315 for 5-8 reps, then 405 for a triple, then move on to my working weight. I don't like to do too many warmups because it wears me out on deads, same deal with squats, too many warmups = bad for me. So even if I had warmed up, it wouldn't have made any different. And that 365 didn't feel like much when I did it, but damn. Even my fingers are sore.

Power rack was empty the whole time I was there today. Did a little extra stuff because I felt like it.

Squats 315 x 10 x 2
Bench 225 x 10 x 2
Row 225 x 10 x 2
CGBP 205 x 10 x 2
Upright Row 150 x 10 x 2
Tricep Pushdowns 110 x 10 x 2
Pulldowns 150 x 10 x 2

Fooled around with some DB Rows, did 120 for 5 but it was hard to keep the grip for that long and I lost one of my versagrips when I moved... going to buy new ones, but I think I'll have to use them if I want to do more rowing.

For endurance, yes. I don't use them unless I'm doing more than 5 reps with something heavy. With deads, typically I start to strap up when I'm using loads greater than 405 for many reps, if I'm doing less than 5 reps then I don't bother. It does allow you to concentrate a lot more on the lift and less on trying to keep your grip throughout the set.

Have to get a physical soon. I got a new job and my new insurance has some health assessment I have to go through to avoid getting a penalty on my insurance. Yesterday I had to bleed onto some strips of paper and a glucose meter, mailed those in this morning so they can find out my lipid profile and triglycerides. But they are insisting that I am obese as my BMI is 32 and it's supposed to be 24.9 or lower. So in order to prove I am not obese, I have to get a physical. It's annoying, I talked to them and asked them why I'm being penalized for their imperfect system of determining body composition and they said some crap about BMI being nationally recognized as the standard, studies behind it, etc etc.

Whatever.

Missed the gym twice last week due to long work hours...

I feel your pain. I have to really put effort into it, to try and make it to the gym 3 times/week. It almost never happens with my job and family, etc.

Lately I just go twice/week and hit it extra hard while I am in there.

Have to get a physical soon. I got a new job and my new insurance has some health assessment I have to go through to avoid getting a penalty on my insurance. Yesterday I had to bleed onto some strips of paper and a glucose meter, mailed those in this morning so they can find out my lipid profile and triglycerides. But they are insisting that I am obese as my BMI is 32 and it's supposed to be 24.9 or lower. So in order to prove I am not obese, I have to get a physical. It's annoying, I talked to them and asked them why I'm being penalized for their imperfect system of determining body composition and they said some crap about BMI being nationally recognized as the standard, studies behind it, etc etc.

Whatever.

Pull a Michael Clarke Duncan, rip your clothes off, dance on the doctor's desk and keep flexing until they give in ...

*Disclaimer: you might fail the psyche evaluation later ...

****ing idiots ...

No lifting since Monday as my son was born on Weds... 9 lbs 4 ounces, 21 inches long, I'm quite proud of him.

Wow, I'm away for a little bit and nearly miss out on all the good stuff. Congratulations, Totz! A new baby boy ought to keep you out of trouble for a while.

Pull a Michael Clarke Duncan, rip your clothes off, dance on the doctor's desk and keep flexing until they give in ...

*Disclaimer: you might fail the psyche evaluation later ...

****ing idiots ...

Yeah the last time I did that didn't end well.

Actually the last physical I had, the doctor said he would prefer me lighter too, and I asked him where I was supposed to lose the weight from. Then he started talking about how steroids are bad...

I'm not going back to that doctor, obviously.

Wow, I'm away for a little bit and nearly miss out on all the good stuff. Congratulations, Totz! A new baby boy ought to keep you out of trouble for a while.

Thanks. Yeah you'd think that was true but we will see. Along with the new job, it does seem to be making it difficult to get to the gym regularly.

Yeah the last time I did that didn't end well.

Actually the last physical I had, the doctor said he would prefer me lighter too, and I asked him where I was supposed to lose the weight from. Then he started talking about how steroids are bad...

I'm not going back to that doctor, obviously.

Most general practitioners know a little about a lot and a lot about nothing... which is JUST enough to technically run a medical practice without killing anyone... but that's about it. Couple ill-equipped doctors with our society's negative view of masculinity and you've got a nasty recipe for the elimination of "man" as we know it.

Most general practitioners know a little about a lot and a lot about nothing... which is JUST enough to technically run a medical practice without killing anyone... but that's about it. Couple ill-equipped doctors with our society's negative view of masculinity and you've got a nasty recipe for the elimination of "man" as we know it.

Actually, PCPs can know a ton...about med management and chronic disease management. When it comes to fitness advice, they generally fall flat. Why? Because medical school centers around disease process and not healthy individuals with a standard deviation higher amount of muscle mass per their body weight.

There are physicians that specialize in sports medicine. They might be more attuned to bodybuilding not necessarily due to training, but due to being around athletic types as opposed to 400lb hippos, skinny smokers, and gomers all day.

And the days of the GP are basically over. FM and IM physicians who want to do primary care go through internship and residency. The "GP" is a doctor who didn't go through residency, and they don't get hired anymore.

Sorry, bit of a tangent lol.

Last edited:
Actually, that description of GP's knowing 'a little about a lot, and a lot about little' is pretty common and as a former pharm-rep, I can tell you it's pretty close to 100% correct.

They are, however, amongst the most patient and hard working beings ever created.

Considering a cycle of arm specialization. Here are the problems:

Sub-14 inch forearms:
attachment.php

Not quite 17 inch upper arms
attachment.php

Arms are by far the weakest looking part of my physique and while these numbers may not sound bad to some, keep in mind that I am 6'1 and so 17s don't look that big on someone my height. I also think I need to improve on my delts. So here is what I am considering...

Incline bench
Seated Rows w/neutral grip
Close grip bench
Pulldowns
Curls
Skullcrushers
*pinwheel curls
*pushdowns

*both included for metabolic work

I would begin with 10s, skipping 15s, but do 15-20 rep sets for the metabolic work. Curls and skulls I would not do as typical weeks of 10s and 5s but most likely do 12s then 8s just to keep the weight lighter. I really don't want to progress much further than 165 on curls as it starts to hurt and I prefer to keep my elbows healthy. Skulls are hard to do heavy without a spotter and I don't want to ask anyone at the gym to spot or hog the power rack just to do skulls.

Might drop either pulldowns or seated rows. Both hit my biceps quite well when I do them, but pulldowns seem to stress the elbows more when it gets heavy. No overhead work for shoulders, I have to stay light to avoid any problems and I can overhead press my bodyweight so the lighter weights necessary to avoid shoulder troubles are pretty much useless. Arms go numb at night while sleeping constantly when I do shoulder work. Might look into some rehab but I don't know what rehabbing helps for overhead problems? Any suggestions?

Yes, no leg work at all.

Attachments

• CAM00013.jpg
    CAM00013.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 79
  • CAM00014.jpg
    CAM00014.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Go for it.

You can always throw in deadlifts here and there as an upper/ lower movement.

While reviewing my plan for next cycle, I decided to revisit the max size calculator. Strangely, my wrist and ankle measurements are significantly different than before. Here is what I posted in 2006:

At 73 inches height, 7 for wrist and 9 for ankle, I came up with the following:

Weight: 200.66
Chest: 47.77
Bicep: 17.10
Forearm: 13.69
Neck: 16.90
Thigh: 24.73
Calf: 16.72

So I redid the measurements and ran them through the HST max size calculator, got 7.5 for wrist and 9.7 for ankle, half an inch larger for wrist, nearly three quarters of an inch larger for ankle, and I pulled the tape as tight as I could to make sure that there was no over estimation from the calculator.
Predicted Maximum Stats at 8% Bodyfat
Lean body weight: 216.5
Chest Size (inches): 50.4
Upper Arms Size (inches): 17.9
Forearms Size (inches): 14.3
Neck Size (inches): 17.68
Thighs Size (inches): 26.3
Calfs Size (inches): 17.8

Just for contrast, I also ran it through Casey Butt's calculator for people with average genetics:

Your estimated maximum bulked bodyweight at ~10% bodyfat is: 228.8 lbs
Your estimated maximum muscular measurements (@ ~8%-10% bodyfat) are:
Chest: 50.2 in
Biceps: 18 in
Forearms: 14.4 in
Neck: 17.6 in
Thighs: 26.6 in
Calves: 17.9 in

Almost identical...
And here are my most recent measurements that I posted from the first page of this log:

Body Weight: 240 lbs
Chest 44.75
Bicep 16.2
Forearm 13.5
Neck: 17.5
Thigh: 26.1
Calf: 17

You have to ignore the bodyweight as it a bit misleading due to my dense bones that I've repeatedly written about here. And obviously the arms have grown a bit since I took those measurements in August. But it looks like I can still add a little more to chest and arms for sure. Legs are just about tapped out but could probably grow a little more and for some reason I apparently have a big neck?

Anyway, somewhat encouraging. I think the outline in the post above is probably the right direction to go.

Back