Back to Basics

My oldest son is hitting puberty, according to the doctor. I guess that explains the mustache I've been having to force him to shave lately. He's only 12 so I'm a bit surprised as I was a late bloomer. But anyway, he wants to be strong just like his dad and I of course want to encourage this. The problem is that he is not very disciplined about things like lifting and diet, and he does not know how to push himself at all. I'm not exactly sure how to teach these values as I was always very willful as a child, so if I set my mind to something, I did it. I didn't really have to learn to push myself.

I'm trying to teach him the basics of calorie counting and label reading as well. Luckily he is a bright kid, so he picks stuff up fast. He's just kind of lazy. So far I've been encouraging him to do a lot of bodyweight exercises, trying to make him do more physical tasks around the house with me, etc. Getting him into the gym right now I don't think is something that is possible, as I have to fit my gym schedule around my work schedule. I have considered putting him in some sort of martial arts classes since they do some physical conditioning but he seems reluctant.

Anyway, I guess I just don't really know how to teach discipline and willpower. Any tips?

1. Don't over-stress trying to instill those attributes. As you note, he's about to hit puberty.

2. If he wants to be strong, he needs to work to be strong. I'd strongly encourage taking him to the gym with you on a regular, routine-basis. Discipline is about adhering to routine and tasks, until you don't need the routine because you've become ... disciplined.

Set 2 regular times a week when it won't clash with something else he enjoys doing. I think I recall that you've sold off your home weights and bars etc?

What does he like to do/hobbies/sporting interests etc?

Yeah, he is only 12. If he really wants to be strong, he will get motivated eventually. If he's not driven, so be it, but better to give him space at this age, trying too hard to mold him can backfire... Teenage rebellion and all.

Well, squats, deads and leg press are out for now. I had to move on my own, my girl couldn't help much because she is pregnant again. Apparently loading all my furniture, worldly possessions and etc into the truck, driving 120 miles then unloading all of it within a ten hour period aggravated my lower back. I'm going to find a dr around here to check it out. Still doing legs, just have to find stuff that doesn't bother me. ****ing back.

I did my back in a few years ago at the gym. I did one set too many of squats and ended up pulling the lower back area: quadratus lumborum, upper glutes. I couldnt train for about a year! I visited both naprapat and physiotherapist for different type of treatments. I had quite a strong back then too apart from the lower area. I was invited to try out a "core-ball" workout and after the very first session I could feel I was improving strength i the affected area. It took about two weeks and I was able to start training properly again. I do those exercises now and again when I feel the strain. Just doing back extensions and the "superman" while lying on a pilates ball helps. It may seem a bit poncy but who cares if it gets rid of pain.

What was your back pain like? I feel fine almost all the time but sitting down for extended periods is irritating me, and it bugs me when I try to do leg presses, any deadlift variant and squats. I'll have to give those exercises a shot. I've tried foam rolling and it doesn't feel like it does anything at the time that I'm rolling it, but it does feel a little better afterward.

Until I got rid of the pain, sitting down was the worst. Driving etc was a killer. Shooting pains that travelled down the glutes and right across the small of the back. The first few months when I came home from work I lay on the floor with my legs up on the sofa. But Id fasten there. It ached so bad when I tried straightening myself out.

Honestly, give those exercises a go. Loads of reps. Smooth, controlled movements.

Most likely will be a four day a week upper/lower split just for ease of programming. I think I will alternate between two different upper and two different lower days as well. Essentially it will look like this:
Monday / Upper A
Tuesday / Lower A
Weds / OFF
Thurs / Upper B
Fri / Lower B
Sat / OFF
Sun / OFF

You only hit each muscle twice a week irrespective of current intensity (except for traps which are hit more often)? Right after SDing?
Then how long does each rep microcycle last, if you still do that kind of thing?..

3 weeks. I will be doing 30 total reps for each lift as well, so 30 per upper body muscle group and 60 per lower.

Aha, as per Wernbom. Good luck. A very strong decision to try something new, this is something I'm having a hard time with: making a change. Have you already tried am/pm splits while still maintaining 3/week frequency? The setup you're doing is more in line with Lyle's suggestions.

I can't do AM/PM splits due to my work schedule. I can manage four times in the gym a week though so an upper/lower split it is. I've already done upper/lower splits where I am getting 2x a week frequency with success. Really the only variable changing here is the volume which I am increasing.
The routine is heavily based off of discussions with mikeynov. I was already planning an upper/lower split and thought about changing some of the other parameters. He is the one who suggested just going with 12s and 8s instead. I'm still going to include negatives after the 8s and see how that goes. I am also incorporating his idea about a modification to SD to prevent strength loss.

Planning to run this setup for at least four or five months. Obviously I am eating a caloric excess during this trial.

How far away from each specific rep RM will you start? If it's gonna be 5% steps starting from 75%, 2 times a week seems to be artificially slow, even considering 30/60 reps per MG, especially during 15s and lower 10s. Maybe they look like that to me with my maxes, your loads being a wholly different matter.

And yes, this is influenced by Wernbom's meta-analysis but also from my own experiences over the years which have been mirrored by others, such as mikeynov. I believe that HST possibly needs a bit of updating to match up with the current research. Most of HST is still solid, I believe in the principles. I just think it needs a bit of modification. Obviously Bryan already made recommendations about volume but they are too vague. Wernbom gives some solid numbers. I am going to try it out for a while and see how it works.

Might be worth noting that my legs are already at or above the projected genetic limits. I'm still working them anyway with 60 reps per muscle group so I guess we will see what happens. I feel like it would be more representative of the results this sort of change would bring if I work the entire body and note growth over the whole instead of specializing in upper body.

How far away from each specific rep RM will you start? If it's gonna be 5% steps starting from 75%, 2 times a week seems to be artificially slow, even considering 30/60 reps per MG, especially during 15s and lower 10s. Maybe they look like that to me with my maxes, your loads being a wholly different matter.

80%. I'm alternating exercises, so I'll be doing 80% for everything week 1, 90% week 2 and 100% week 3. There is a small amount of zig zag still between the 12 rm microcycle and the 8 rm. Negatives/5s are going to be a little different.

And yes, this is influenced by Wernbom's meta-analysis but also from my own experiences over the years which have been mirrored by others, such as mikeynov. I believe that HST possibly needs a bit of updating to match up with the current research. Most of HST is still solid, I believe in the principles. I just think it needs a bit of modification. Obviously Bryan already made recommendations about volume but they are too vague. Wernbom gives some solid numbers. I am going to try it out for a while and see how it works.

Might be worth noting that my legs are already at or above the projected genetic limits. I'm still working them anyway with 60 reps per muscle group so I guess we will see what happens. I feel like it would be more representative of the results this sort of change would bring if I work the entire body and note growth over the whole instead of specializing in upper body.

Care to elaborate more on the first paragraph in terms of volume requirements and what needs updating?

Just basically the areas that mikeynov and I were discussing in another thread. Wernbom suggests that 30 reps per upperbody muscle group and 60 reps per lower is necessary each session.

I suspect that his requirements mostly are applying to the 8-12 rep range and that when you go heavier, you can drop the reps. This is what I am planning to test out.

I suspect that his requirements mostly are applying to the 8-12 rep range and that when you go heavier, you can drop the reps. This is what I am planning to test out.
How did you feel jumping right into 30-60 reps per MG after SD? That's heck of a volume.
Also, from Wernbom's study:

4.12 Training Implications and Recommendations

... Regarding progression, we recommend
low volumes (e.g. 1–2 sets) in the initial stages of
training, when performing eccentric-muscle actions,
because low volumes have been shown to be suffi-
cient to induce hypertrophy in the early stages of
training and because exercise adherence may be
improved if the workout is relatively brief. Also,
avoiding unnecessary damage may allow hypertro-
phy to take place earlier. As the individual adapts to
the stimulus of strength training, the overall volume
and/or intensity may have to be gradually increased
to result in continued physiological adaptations and
other strategies (e.g, periodisation) can also be intro-
duced if even further progress is desired.
Am I the only one who thinks they ended up describing the classic lower to moderate volume HST setup after sufficient SD?..
What happened to the 30-60 reps? :)

Any link to the study, or is it in another link?

I could email it to you.

How did you feel jumping right into 30-60 reps per MG after SD? That's heck of a volume.

It's been quite easy, actually. I've been experimenting with higher volume quite a lot over the last couple years albeit mostly in the form of added metabolic work, but this doesn't feel terribly taxing to me. I'm sure it will be a different story once the loads get heavier.

Have you (or anyone) tried the following: work your way up in 15,10,5RM microcycles as you normally would, continue working on 5RM for a few more weeks, then when progress stops, instead of going off to SD in preparation for the lower 15s or 10s, you just drop the 5's loads to 75% 5RM and build up to 5RMs in 5% increments again? This would give CNS some time off to recover, and would make the tissues a bit more sensitive to 5RM loads again (although not as much as in a full-blown SD+start over).

Back