Split squats are so brutal on the legs, that is all I do, thrashes the quads, adductors and glutes

Split squats are so brutal on the legs, that is all I do, thrashes the quads, adductors and glutes
I know!!

Never really done them. I was speaking to one of the GB powerlifting coaches at the last meet about training etc... and she recommended incorporating single leg work to help my squat. I find it so hard to get my balance initially then during the movement I want to die, then the next day my everything is sore as hell.

But hoping that as its a new movement the strength gains will come quickly from it then transfer over nicely to the main movement.

GPP Day

Basically did an old school 15s Day to get some blood flowing and get a little pump as well as 20 mins LISS and 10 mins mobility stuff. Mostly trying to stretch out my glutes/piriformis, still feeling a bit of nerve pain in my hip/glute.

Incline DB Press - 35kg DBs x15x2
Lat Pulldown - 60kg x15x2
Face Pull - 50kg x15x2
Rear Delt Fly - 30kg x15x2
Leaning Lateral Cable Raise - 12.5kg x15x2
LEg Extension - 45kg x15x2
LEg Curl - 45kg x15x2
DB Hammer Curls 15kg x15x2

Treadmill 6mph slight incline - 20mins
(continued listening to a Podcast by The Strength Athlete featuring Mike T. Quite interesting if you are into powerlifting/strength training.)
https://soundcloud.com/thestrengthathlete/episode-22-emerging-strategies-with-mike-tuchscherer

Quite enjoying this conjugate style training, although I haven't spent much time on the comp movements so hard to know if it is going to carry over well.

I am hoping that when I switch to a more specific bulgarian approach 6 weeks out from my next meet my comp lifts will become re sensitized

Quite enjoying this conjugate style training, although I haven't spent much time on the comp movements so hard to know if it is going to carry over well.

I am hoping that when I switch to a more specific bulgarian approach 6 weeks out from my next meet my comp lifts will become re sensitized

One of the things that Simon from Massthetics said in a later video somewhere along the way is that you can use the comp lift as an accessory - one of your 3x5 lifts on ME days if you want to maintain volume.

One of the things that Simon from Massthetics said in a later video somewhere along the way is that you can use the comp lift as an accessory - one of your 3x5 lifts on ME days if you want to maintain volume.
Thanks, i'll keep that in mind!

Minor note from today,

on speed deadlifts pointed my feet straight ahead rather than slightly flared, and widened my stance by about an inch or two. Didnt feel the nerve thing in my hip doing this and seemed to get a bit more explosiveness initiating the pull. I know it was only 60% bar weight + bands and the change was minimal but might stick with this setup and see how it goes.

Last edited:
11/5/18

Speed Bench + Bands
105kg x2x6

TnG Bench
120kg x5x5

Incline Bench
105kg x5x3

Neutral Grip DB Bench
35kg x15x3

Lat Pulldown
(myo reps)
55kg x12 +4 +4 +4 +3

15/5/18

Max Effort Upper
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiyfoYhBm3H/?taken-by=moose_lifts
Moved my comp bench grip in very slightly and seems to feel a lot better and easier to lock out. Worked up to 160kg but the spotter decided to touch the bar so can’t really count it

Comp Bench
140kg x1 @7
150kg x1 @8
155kg x1 @9
160kg x1 @who knows if this even counts, spotter touched the bar
130kg x3x5 @7-8

Incline bench
110kg x5x3 @8

French Press
45kg x10x3

DB LTEs
18kg x15x3