Last session before Raw Nationals on Sunday, just worked through to my last warm up on squat and bench

Squat
100 x5
120 x3
140 x2
165 x1
185 x1

Bench
60 x5
100 x3
120 x1
140 x1

https://instagram.com/p/BnHVYKQhNC7/

Nothing to do now apart from rest up and relax! Morning weight is sitting at 105kg on the nose so don’t have to cut any weight

Morning weight this morning 104.4kg so can eat well today!

Just want to get on that platform, this part of waiting is the worst... nothing you can do to get stronger but plenty you can do to get weaker lol

Morning weight this morning 104.4kg so can eat well today!

Just want to get on that platform, this part of waiting is the worst... nothing you can do to get stronger but plenty you can do to get weaker lol

Just remember to brace hard as you can and you’ll do well.

Good work yesterday, mate.

You looked exhausted on that third deadlift, so don’t stress about being 5kgs short of what you wanted.

At least you didn’t strain your erector by launching a warm up into space :/

Time for a post meet re cap.

Overall I am pretty happy with how it all went. Went 9 for 9 and a PR total of 650kg which is 45 kg more than what I manged in April so I think I can be happy with that.

It was a strange day, was anxious and nervous af the day before, more so than any other event I have done!

Squats
Opener - 200kg good lift

Warm ups didnt feel great, luckily I had already dropped my planned opener by 5kg. I was watching the day before and the judges were soooo strict on depth, i decided to drop my opener and just bury it. This actually moved ok, not as quick as i would have liked but was happy to be off and running
16:25

2nd Attempt - 215kg good lift

All I can say is that I cant the lift. When I un racked it it felt like 300kgs, and I panicked in my head a little bit but it moved ok
29:26

3rd Attempt - 220kg good lift
I had hoped to take 225 for my third but after the way 215 moved I knew it just wasn't there. This is a comp PR and equalls my gym PR and this was the grind of my life. Some say I'm still on the platform grinding. It wasnt the squat I hoped for but so proud of myself for the fight I put up with this one. Had @Jester in my head reminding me to BRACE
40:40

Just wanted to share this, although the guy missed weight so could only lift as a guest, man this was impressive to watch! 337.5kg!!
1:26:50

Bench
Opener - 152.5kg good lift

Dropped my planned opener by 2.5kg as when I watched the day before there were some long start and press commands. Plus that 3rd attempt squat took A LOT out of me. Had a weird little pause on the way down, for some reason I thought I hadnt heard the start command, but was light enough so no dramas
1:51:10

2nd attempt - 160kg good lift
This was a FIGHT... hand out was awful, just kind of dropped it on my and felt like an age to get the start command but I ground it out
No video link for this one, feed cut out lol

3rd attempt - 162.5kg
A very small jump as I felt this would be all I would have today another fight
2:14:12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygDDwrWOCE

Deadlifts
Opener - 250kg good lift

Dropped my opener by 5 kg. By this point after grinding all day I was getting fried! Was really trying to brace hard but couldnt keep the usual form and rushed the initial start slightly so didnt get all the slack out or as tight as I should of done
3:10:01 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygDDwrWOCE

2nd Attempt - 262.5kg good lift
Big jump because I didnt know how much more I had left in me. As you can see it is a tired lift, and the commentator was right... all low back lol.
3:21:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygDDwrWOCE

3rd attempt - 267.5kg
honestly didn't think I would have this in me, but I really wanted a 650 total I also just wanted 9 for 9. Technique, cueing, bracing had all gone out the window by this point this was just sheer brute force and will power! nearly passed out after that. I can safely say I couldnt have ground out another kilo on any of my lifts! Also haev 2 torn calluses for my effors
3:32:42 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygDDwrWOCE

After that third lift I went into the warm up room and burst into tears. I had been emotional all day as my parents were there watching, it was my dads birthday, my wife and son were there but mainly because it would have been my brothers 31st birthday next weekend and I had been thinking about him all day. Powerlifting since my brothers suicide has been therapy for me... like the saying goes squats are like life, its about standing back up when something heavy gets you down. I wanted to show my kids that it doesnt matter where you finish, all that matters is that when its all done you can put your hand on your heart and say you gave everything. I think I can be proud of myself. There were times during each of those third attempts when I honestly felt like dropping the bar but I kept fighting and made each one. All sounds pretty cheesy and dramatic I know!

So overall I didn't get the lifts I wanted, but I think I can hold my head high. Finished in about 20th place I think out of 27 (yet to be confirmed) and I dont think I looked out of place on a national stage!

Might not train this week at all though! I am FRIED!

Last edited:
Take the week off, you’ve earned it.

Also, before you start paying Blevins, let’s talk programming :D

That 3rd deadlift had c u next Tuesday written all over it, good effort muscling the SOB up.

Take the week off, you’ve earned it.

Also, before you start paying Blevins, let’s talk programming :D

That 3rd deadlift had c u next Tuesday written all over it, good effort muscling the SOB up.

yeah I wasn't letting that deadlift go, would have stayed there all day If I had too!

What did you have in mind programming wise?

yeah I wasn't letting that deadlift go, would have stayed there all day If I had too!

What did you have in mind programming wise?

Re-working project momentum from two cycles back; 4x a week on the major lifts.

Without the infinite various lifts, but using some more regularly in place of the central lift.

I also think as far as general accessory work goes, there should be a health diet of rows and vertical pulling. Upper back is central is all three lifts.

For my $$, running that into Bulgarian is probably ideal for you considering how you’ve responded over the last 6-8 months.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a 400lb bench after 3 months either. That’s where most lifters leave it begging (bench).

Re-working project momentum from two cycles back; 4x a week on the major lifts.

Without the infinite various lifts, but using some more regularly in place of the central lift.

I also think as far as general accessory work goes, there should be a health diet of rows and vertical pulling. Upper back is central is all three lifts.

For my $$, running that into Bulgarian is probably ideal for you considering how you’ve responded over the last 6-8 months.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a 400lb bench after 3 months either. That’s where most lifters leave it begging (bench).

Thanks mate, i'll give it some thought. I think I might still run this Blevins AI thing for a couple of blocks seeing as I'm far out from competition. If nothing else just to gain a few training ideas and broaden my own knowledge.

I think my bench is suited to a Bulgarian style. I also think I need to train it more in competition week as it seems to be detrained come comp day, I also need to get in the habit of really nailing the comp pauses both for the start and press command in training. Im sure those extra couple of seconds waiting for the start command on comp day play a part in me not benching as well in a meet as I do in training.

Time for a post meet re cap.

Overall I am pretty happy with how it all went. Went 9 for 9 and a PR total of 650kg which is 45 kg more than what I manged in April so I think I can be happy with that.

It was a strange day, was anxious and nervous af the day before, more so than any other event I have done!

Squats
Opener - 200kg good lift

Warm ups didnt feel great, luckily I had already dropped my planned opener by 5kg. I was watching the day before and the judges were soooo strict on depth, i decided to drop my opener and just bury it. This actually moved ok, not as quick as i would have liked but was happy to be off and running
16:25

2nd Attempt - 215kg good lift

All I can say is that I cant the lift. When I un racked it it felt like 300kgs, and I panicked in my head a little bit but it moved ok
29:26

3rd Attempt - 220kg good lift
I had hoped to take 225 for my third but after the way 215 moved I knew it just wasn't there. This is a comp PR and equalls my gym PR and this was the grind of my life. Some say I'm still on the platform grinding. It wasnt the squat I hoped for but so proud of myself for the fight I put up with this one. Had @Jester in my head reminding me to BRACE
40:40

Just wanted to share this, although the guy missed weight so could only lift as a guest, man this was impressive to watch! 337.5kg!!
1:26:50

Bench
Opener - 152.5kg good lift

Dropped my planned opener by 2.5kg as when I watched the day before there were some long start and press commands. Plus that 3rd attempt squat took A LOT out of me. Had a weird little pause on the way down, for some reason I thought I hadnt heard the start command, but was light enough so no dramas
1:51:10

2nd attempt - 160kg good lift
This was a FIGHT... hand out was awful, just kind of dropped it on my and felt like an age to get the start command but I ground it out
No video link for this one, feed cut out lol

3rd attempt - 162.5kg
A very small jump as I felt this would be all I would have today another fight
2:14:12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygDDwrWOCE

Deadlifts
Opener - 250kg good lift

Dropped my opener by 5 kg. By this point after grinding all day I was getting fried! Was really trying to brace hard but couldnt keep the usual form and rushed the initial start slightly so didnt get all the slack out or as tight as I should of done
3:10:01 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygDDwrWOCE

2nd Attempt - 262.5kg good lift
Big jump because I didnt know how much more I had left in me. As you can see it is a tired lift, and the commentator was right... all low back lol.
3:21:05 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygDDwrWOCE

3rd attempt - 267.5kg
honestly didn't think I would have this in me, but I really wanted a 650 total I also just wanted 9 for 9. Technique, cueing, bracing had all gone out the window by this point this was just sheer brute force and will power! nearly passed out after that. I can safely say I couldnt have ground out another kilo on any of my lifts! Also haev 2 torn calluses for my effors
3:32:42 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HygDDwrWOCE

After that third lift I went into the warm up room and burst into tears. I had been emotional all day as my parents were there watching, it was my dads birthday, my wife and son were there but mainly because it would have been my brothers 31st birthday next weekend and I had been thinking about him all day. Powerlifting since my brothers suicide has been therapy for me... like the saying goes squats are like life, its about standing back up when something heavy gets you down. I wanted to show my kids that it doesnt matter where you finish, all that matters is that when its all done you can put your hand on your heart and say you gave everything. I think I can be proud of myself. There were times during each of those third attempts when I honestly felt like dropping the bar but I kept fighting and made each one. All sounds pretty cheesy and dramatic I know!

So overall I didn't get the lifts I wanted, but I think I can hold my head high. Finished in about 20th place I think out of 27 (yet to be confirmed) and I dont think I looked out of place on a national stage!

Might not train this week at all though! I am FRIED!
Ah mate... well done. Awesome effort, and yeah I can imagine being emotional. A great attitude to have, and what a beautiful thing to share with your family. Am sure everyone was incredibly proud of ya. Yeah I think comps have so much value like that, they can really bring out something deep within you.

Congrats mate [emoji106]

So just seen on my gyms insta story that wenow have a reverse hyper machine

We have a saying here down under for instances like this ...

Can’t
U
Not
Tell me that

;)

(We’re bred from adventurers and convicts ... my bad if offended)

At least you can give me some feedback now :p

We have a saying here down under for instances like this ...

Can’t
U
Not
Tell me that

;)

(We’re bred from adventurers and convicts ... my bad if offended)

At least you can give me some feedback now :p

haha... dont worry, I'm not offended. I'll keep you posted

Back