Cutting with HST

1lb a week is not 30lb a month.

I would say somewhere between 0.5 - 1.5kgs of muscle for a month for non-newb gains is about all you can expect, and it is 100% dependent on your training, diet, genetics.

Timing does not muscle gain - intermittent fasting should be proof enough of this for you. You cannot gain on maintenance - the very definition of "maintenance" is that it isn't enough for you to gain weight (of any kind), and is enough for you not to lose weight (of any kind).

Pipe dreams are fun, I suppose ... ?
Oops! Back to school! Lol
4-5lbs a month :p

So in theory how much muscle should I have gained using HST for 3 cycles. I put on 17 - 19lb over the 3 cycles. I've read alot how HST is the fastest way to gain muscle.

Also does anyone know why I put on roughly 14 - 16 lb on the first two cycles and only 3lb on the last cycle despite eating the same calories? This will help me when trying to bulk again. 3-4 lb per cycle might be a good aim but I want to know why I gained so much so fast at those calories.

If you put on 19lb of muscle over three cycles, you wouldn't be here with issues, I promise you that.

You gained so fast because you don't need that much food - you overestimated and didn't monitor yourself as you kept eating at that excess amount.

Also does anyone know why I put on roughly 14 - 16 lb on the first two cycles and only 3lb on the last cycle despite eating the same calories?

Pretty easy to see why you gained only 3 lbs last cycle if you were eating the same calories as the first two cycles.

That discussion leads me to a question...how do you estimate maintenance at different bodyfat levels? Obviously a 220 pounder at 25% will need less calories than someone the same weight at 10%. AFAIK fat doesn't consume calories, so probably the actual methods to calculate maintenance can be wrong at higher (or very low) BF levels.

Makes sense?

That discussion leads me to a question...how do you estimate maintenance at different bodyfat levels? Obviously a 220 pounder at 25% will need less calories than someone the same weight at 10%. AFAIK fat doesn't consume calories, so probably the actual methods to calculate maintenance can be wrong at higher (or very low) BF levels.

Makes sense?

The Sterling-Pasmore Equation supposedly deals with this issue as this equation is based on your body composition. You need 13.8 calories to support 1 pound of lean muscle mass.

BMR= Lean body mass (lbs) x 13.8 calories

Once you calculate your BMR factor in activity to account for calories burned during exercise.

BMR x 1.2 for low intensity activities and leisure activities (primarily sedentary)

BMR x 1.375 for light exercise (leisurely walking for 30-50 minutes 3-4 days/week, golfing, house chores)

BMR x 1.55 for moderate exercise 3-5 days per week (60-70% MHR for 30-60 minutes/session)

BMR x 1.725 for active individuals (exercising 6-7 days/week at moderate to high intensity (70-85% MHR) for 45-60 minutes/session)

BMR x 1.9 for the extremely active individuals (engaged in heavy/intense exercise like heavy manual labor, heavy lifting, endurance athletes, and competitive team sports athletes 6-7 days/week for 90 + minutes/session)

I wouldn't really worry too much about the effect of lbm on bmr though. The main factor is going to be overall bodyweight. Fatter people's organs use about the same calories as a muscular person, and the organs are where most of the calories go anyway. The adjustments for activity level more than make up for any effect of increased lbm. Also, the amount of calories used by carrying extra muscle really isn't significant anyway. The calories to BUILD muscle are significant but the calories to fuel moving around a 230 lb body on a day to day basis are going to be about the same regardless of how much of that 230 is lbm and how much is fat.

Wow, that algorithm points to a 3600kcal maintenance for someone like me. Way over the results from other methods. I'm aiming for an average 3500kcal to bulking what could explain why it's being so difficult to break the 220 lbs barrier.

Yeah I have it coming up pretty high too. 191lbs 20%bf (though I think thats a lil high but whatevs), that puts my BMR at 153lbs x 13.8 puts me a little over 2100. Even if I am a 1.2 activity level that puts me at 2500. I'd say 2500 is a mild bulk for myself. If my bf is closer to 15% then it's 2700 and if it's 25% then it's 2400. I can run 2k for a while without losing weight so I dunno.

I was just going to start dropping 100cals a week until I sustain 1lb a week loss.

The biggest problem in calculating BMR and therefore TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is the various calculators out there giving different results, I have used 3 different calculators based on 49 years old at 5ft 10 with current weight of 180lb with a body fat level of between 7.5 and 10%

Harris Benedict has my BMR @ 1750

Katch-McArdle has my BMR at between 1957 and 2001

Stirling-Pasmore has my BMR at between 2235 and 2297

Earlier this year on a slow bulk I increased body weight by 11lbs (177 to 188) over 15 weeks (average 0.73lbs per week) based on an average daily calorie intake of 3325 and training full body 5/6 times per week – this would suggest my maintenance calorie intake should be circa 3000 calories per day.

This then gives me the following activity multiplier – Harris Benedict = 1.7 (Very Active) , Katch-McArdle = 1.53/1.5 (Moderate) and Stirling-Pasmore = 1.35/1.3 Light Exercise) – so it really depends on what you consider training full body 5/6 times per week is in respect of activity, but this pretty much rules out the Stirling-Pasmore equation for me (unless working in an office and training 5/6 days per week is still considered sedentary).

Last edited:
100kcals a week, or 100kcals per day ... ?
Right now I am losing about 1lb a week without tracking my cals. Once that stops I will figure out where my average maintenance rests then each week I will subtract 100 cals from my daily total, so if I find my maintenance is 2k then week 1 - 1900, week 2 - 1800, week 3 1700 etc until I start losing 1lb a week again.

I am not sure what my goal weight is but at 191 I am starting to look athletic so I am guessing low 180s to high 170s I should start to look pretty defined. At that point I will try and hold my weight for about a month and then begin a small bulk.

Honestly I am still learning to deal with being hungry but fortunately the weight loss has been pretty consistent. It's been a hard realization that my appetite was basically a spoiled brat, because sometimes the hungries are a pain to deal with but I am getting better at dealing with it.

Yeah I have it coming up pretty high too. 191lbs 20%bf (though I think thats a lil high but whatevs), that puts my BMR at 153lbs x 13.8 puts me a little over 2100. Even if I am a 1.2 activity level that puts me at 2500. I'd say 2500 is a mild bulk for myself. If my bf is closer to 15% then it's 2700 and if it's 25% then it's 2400. I can run 2k for a while without losing weight so I dunno.

I was just going to start dropping 100cals a week until I sustain 1lb a week loss.

I would be surprised if 2500 calories would be a mild bulk at 191lbs (while regularly lifting weights), I would think for me this would be at the beginning stage of weight loss at that body weight as currently maintaining body weight between 178 and 180 consuming between 2600 and 3000 calories per day - do you count your calories?

Right now I am losing about 1lb a week without tracking my cals. Once that stops I will figure out where my average maintenance rests then each week I will subtract 100 cals from my daily total, so if I find my maintenance is 2k then week 1 - 1900, week 2 - 1800, week 3 1700 etc until I start losing 1lb a week again.

I am not sure what my goal weight is but at 191 I am starting to look athletic so I am guessing low 180s to high 170s I should start to look pretty defined. At that point I will try and hold my weight for about a month and then begin a small bulk.

Honestly I am still learning to deal with being hungry but fortunately the weight loss has been pretty consistent. It's been a hard realization that my appetite was basically a spoiled brat, because sometimes the hungries are a pain to deal with but I am getting better at dealing with it.

Yep, appetites are a$$holes. It's basically just like Totez said; willpower is the order of the day.

I would be surprised if 2500 calories would be a mild bulk at 191lbs (while regularly lifting weights), I would think for me this would be at the beginning stage of weight loss at that body weight as currently maintaining body weight between 178 and 180 consuming between 2600 and 3000 calories per day - do you count your calories?
I don't regularly count them, but I do when I am trying to make a weight shift. In the past I have tracked for 2-3 month periods. I usually fall off the carb-counting wagon after a few months when I get into the swing of things. That being said I can usually gain 1/2-1lb a week at 2500.

For the last year I really only focused on losing weight once and it didn't go great. For quite a while I lifted at maintenance and was able to achieve some body recomposition. While I have been training for a 10k I was able to lose about 11lbs. So when I start at the end of the month again I am going to try and lift at a deficit and hopefully drop another 10lbs by the time I get into December and then move to maintenance for a month and start a light bulk in January and hopefully make it to a 455lb deadlift by July. Anyways that's the plan.

If you plan on lifting in a deficit, make sure carbs get enough priority... As much priority as your protein intake. Which will likely mean you'll really have to watch your fat intake to stay in deficit.

I definitely would not prioritise carbs in a deficit. Protein first, fat requirements (these are far more important from a health perspective - hormones, joints, CV health, organ health, brain function), carbs just fill in the remainder.

What the level of protein should be is an ever-ongoing debate, of course, but it's still priority #1.

Back