Cutting with HST

I prefer 1.5 grams per lb of body weight, in totz ebook it states 'In general, getting more calories from protein helps retain more lean mass than getting less protein. Further, there the thermic effect from higher protein intake. Protein takes a bit more energy to digest than carbs or fats.'

Average day - eggs and bacon for breakfast, protein drink mid morning with 150g tuna, 200g chicken at lunch and again mid afternoon, protein drink with milk post workout and 250g chicken or beef for dinner at night, so I take in excess of 1.5g (approx 300g at 180lbs)

Leonardo. You are cutting on 2700 cals? I wish I could eat that much I would never be hungry. Those cals are near my bulk.

I'm currently doing closer to 2000 now

Last edited:
This is just a starting point. I was bulking on 3500 and was a bit hard to gain in the end so I assumed that my maintenance is around 3000 to 3200. I'll work with 2700 and according with the results I tend to go towards 2500 or less.

I tend to lose weight very easily.

Thats lucky. I have spent the last four weeks hungry all the time. I'm not convinced I am making much difference yet from what I can feel. The scales do show I am 3 - 4 lbs down though. Pants and training belt still feel just as tight

Thats lucky. I have spent the last four weeks hungry all the time. I'm not convinced I am making much difference yet from what I can feel. The scales do show I am 3 - 4 lbs down though. Pants and training belt still feel just as tight
Protein intake? Are you doing IF?

I haven't tried that but I'm trying to do the best to manage hunger and I personally find carbs more filling than protein. My lean body mass is probably around 170 pounds so at 200g I am get over 1lb per lean body mass.

Does going to 1.5lb aid fat loss?

I find the more carbs I eat early in the day the hungrier I feel so at the moment carbs are consumed after evening workout, currently maintaining body weight of just under 180lbs consuming around 3000 calories per day (300+g of protein), once I decide to bulk then will add carbs during the day (maybe).

Four weeks and down 4lbs...sounds like you're doing it right. I am 10 weeks into my cut and so far I am down 14lbs, for the first couple weeks I didn't lose any weight and I didn't look any different for the first 10lbs. But the last few lbs people have started to really notice. I am going to try and do another 10-15 and see where I'm at.

Regarding the hunger, I found it's affects diminished over time as my body got used to the caloric restriction and it doesn't affect me as much at this point. Now I feel a little weird when I eat past satisfaction which makes dieting a lot easier.

Just to chip in on the subject of protein: last years cut I kept protein intake really high (2-3g/kg BW) and got great results. This year I kept it nearer 0.5-0.8g and the results, in the mirror, were near on identical. Obviously I may got even better results with a higher protein intake but my mirror results were no worse with MUCH less protein this time round.

Protein's drastic advantage is satiety. Take 500gms of protein via steak, or take 500gms of carbs via potatoes (probably the best carbs source ever). Which is making you hungrier, sooner?

Actually Jester. For me the 500g of potatoes would leave me fuller for longer. Thanks for the info gblifter.

I'm going for a slightly higher carb and lower fat approach this time to see if I can maintain strength.

On my last cut I was at 150g carbs and 80g fat. This time i'm going for 200g carbs and 50 - 60g fats.

Back