Cutting with HST

My thought is, if your carbs suffer, so will your workouts...and if you're not grinding out your lifts, it'll be hard to maintain /grow your muscle.
Personally, it is very noticeable the next days workout if I didn't eat enough carbs.
Protein is always the priority... And I think 1g per 1lbs is sufficient (not to start an argument). Fat, I get enough from my meals, if you eat clean... Fish, eggs, fish oil sup, coconut oil (for cooking)...
So in my case, protein, then carbs and fats fill in the rest.

There is no 'clean' or 'dirty' eating ... that myth was killed back in the '90s for crying out loud.

Jeezus.... When I say clean with respect to fats, I mention healthy fats... "Clean" fats.
As opposed to getting your daily fat requirements from bacon, butter, corn oil, lard, margarine etc... In other words, "dirty" fats.
I know where you're coming from... 2000 calories of shit and 2000 calories of raw, healthy food is still just 2000 calories, right?
But you're not in any sense of the word, going to be healthy. [emoji1]

Actually, animal-sourced fats are completely fine for you if the animal itself was fed a 'normal' diet.

You won't catch me eating a diet without saturated fats from meat and legitimate butter. It's not 1976 anymore. Those fats are also "healthy fats". Just eat them in the correct proportion (specific moderation).

Oh, I get my share of saturated fats... Lol
I've always eaten butter... But like you said, moderation. The point I'm trying to get across is, you don't want to be having 70% of your daily intake being fats, no matter if it's healthy or not.
You get lots of fat in most everything we eat... If you're going to add fat, it has to be beneficial.
Processed foods are the real enemy!

The carbs will depend on your dietary approach. You can still lift heavy while on low carbs. Plenty of us have done it here. As Jester said a while ago, you'll just have to reduce volume to a point.

Fats aren't a problem and they aren't what makes one fat or unhealthy unless you have a genetic predisposition towards that. I've done a diet of 50% fats, <50 grams of carbs and the rest protein before and I was fine.

Processed foods also have their place unless you have Crohns or something.

It seems like there is a much stronger correlation between activity levels and health than between diet and health. Obviously diet isn't totally irrelevant but you can have processed foods and high fat levels on a semi regular basis and still be in perfect health if you are active and don't eat totally retarded. I'm definitely not advocating eating deep fried twinkies all day. However, I worked in fast food management for years and bulked on Burger King and stuff like that, eating those foods 5 days a week for two meals a day and my cholesterol has never been bad, my blood pressure is low and I have a low resting heart rate. So obviously even after years of eating a supposedly terrible diet, I was still very healthy. But I was also doing HST 3-5 times a week for all those years and I never let myself get morbidly obese or anything.

But... again, genetics play a significant role. I've done genetic screening of myself and some of my family, it's actually really interesting. I have apparently great genetics for all those health markers (but shitty kidneys, risk of enlarged prostate and guaranteed baldness at some point) so that definitely plays a factor as well.

Hi Mick.

I find the calipers difficult to use and get different readings. The measurement at the hip is easy but I struggle with the measurements at the navel and thigh as the skin doesn't seem very elastic and it is difficult to grip.

I think the weightloss is going ok. I've completed 3 weeks yesterday on the cut. I think I have lost probably 3 pounds going on the scales but It still might be too early to tell yet as my gym belt and jeans are still just as tight. I also did my 3rd workout on the 5's today and strength still seems to be good although I have lost a little strength particularly towards the end of my workout.

Thanks

Charr,

About the loss of strength in the final part of WO I suggest to take some Maltodextrin an hour before training. I started mine last Friday and it seems to be working.

Just looked it up and it has extra calories. How much do you take?

According to the Biorhythm diet (Borge Fagerli) 'It only takes 5-10g of glucose to get blood glucose into a range where performance should be improved, and if you combine it with some fructose (fruits, anyone?) you will also keep liver glycogen topped off (liver glycogen status is also important in anabolic signaling)'

What is your current routine set up?

I usually try to avoid supplements apart from protein powder.

My current set up is.

3 x squat
2 x bench
1 x pendlay (barbel) row.
2 x military press
2 x wide grip pulldown
2 x Dip
1 x Close grip pulldown
1 x tri press.
1 x barbell curl.
1 x deadlift every other workout

The above is what I do on my 15's and 10's. When I move to 5's I switch all pull down movements for their pull up counterpart. I also add 1 more set of benchpress and 1 more set of Pendlay row's. I also add a set of Chinups.

This is what I am doing on my cut. On my gaining routine I do an extra barbel curl and also add lateral raises.

just completed six days on the cut. It's tough. I'm eating 2700 calories a day and despite the excellent workout last Wednesday,today I was clearly burned out.

I hope to be a temporary problem.

22% protein. 30% fat. 48% carbs.

I know I need a little more protein but my Whey didn't arrive yet and I can't get the protein real high with calories reduced. I hope to solve this next week.

Back