Cycle #10 - 2x/week HST + "Caveman" Workout

colby2152

I had moderate success in my last cut, but school work got so tough at the end of my last semester, that my diet got out of hand. I have everything back in gear this time around, and I am aiming at a strict caloric deficit.

Weight: 248
BF%: 14.8%

My goal is to drop a couple points on the bf% and hit the 230's over a course of 6 weeks.

I will lift at random gyms around my local area for a "try out" period on Mondays and Fridays. It really will be a trial test run of all the local gyms so it really isn't that sneaky. On Wednesdays, I will do my caveman workout. For my off days, I will run and perform calisthenics.

GYM WORKOUT
Deadlift
Bench Press
Arnold Press
Pendlay Rows
Dips
CG Chins
Calf Raises

I usually warm up with incline crunches and side DB bends and I end the workout with a few burn sets of Cuban Presses.

CAVEMAN COMETH WORKOUT
*Tricep Extensions / Curls
*Lateral Raises
I know I advocate against iso's, but they are better than nothing. Those exercises are easy to do with anything from bricks to gallon jugs of water.

*Deadlift
My current idea is a cooler filled with water. I would stand up on a 1 foot wall giving me full ROM.

*Shoveling dirt
Decent lat work

*Dips
Using two chairs

*Calf Raises
stand on some platform, hold jugs of water or put a backpack on

I love the caveman setup. Some good ole strongman lifting... kinda
wink.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jun. 07 2007,16:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Push harder.</div>
And I can see my back going out!!

Today was my first day of the cycle. It is the 2nd time that I have even lifted in the past three and a half weeks so naturally you can say I have had a fairly sufficient SD.

I'm trying the gyms around my area starting with some of the closest ones. DISCLAIMER: I won't specifically name any of these gyms, but I will describe the pros and cons about them, so no bad advertisement here!

I warmed up with some pulley crunches and side bends w/DB's. The pulley rack was as simple as they come; there wasn't even a seat to do seated rows. The dumbells were standard old iron DB's.

Deadlifts went okay, but that's what happens for 15 reps - maybe I should lower my 15RM? Once again, they were iron weights not coated with rubber. There was no mat by the power rack, but it was rubber flooring. My body was pretty sore from the weekend (throwing a lot of football) so I only did a couple sets of deads.

I went on to do Arnold Press, Bench Press, Lat Pulldowns, Cuban Press, and Seated Calf Raises. I also did tricep extensions for the hell of it since there were no assisted dips or chin machines.

The location was close, size of the gym was small, the fees were cheap (for students, but I do have an ID still), but the equipment was mediocre. There wasn't even ellipticals or adjustable benches.

Grade: 74.5% (Yes, I have a spreadsheet figuring out such a number)

I did the CAVEMAN workout for the 1st time today and it went much better than originally anticipated. Here are the weights...

Paint Can 3/4 filled - 11 lbs
&quot;Sit Can&quot; #1 filled with paint to some level unknown - 34 lbs
&quot;Sit Can&quot; #2 filled with paint, paint cans, pineapple juice can, and extra water - 56 lbs
24 pack of Pepsi Cans - 17 lbs

1) Deadlift - I used a standard plastic storage container with grips on the side and loaded all of those in there (2 paint cans) which came out to be 135 lbs! I stood on the front of a step with the container on the bottom step below and deadlifted max-stim style for 15 reps. It definitely feels heavier than a barbell w/two 45 plates on which it should because of how the load is distributed.

2) Rows - Used the above container

3) Dips - The two chair method worked great although I am not raised off the floor as much as I wished.

4) Military Press - Plastic container filled with two paint cans and a pepsi cube. The necessary burn was felt which is all that matters in the caveman workout.

5) Cuban Press - Paint can gripped in each hand, a lot tougher than an EZ-Curl bar

Afterwards, I pushed a tractor around the driveway and walked the 135 lb tub over to storage! GREAT WORKOUT!
biggrin.gif

Haha that's incredible. I'm interested in seeing how that goes for you results-wise. Glad it worked out for you , and maybe was a bit more interesting than your standard workout.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 14 2007,22:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Haha that's incredible. I'm interested in seeing how that goes for you results-wise. Glad it worked out for you , and maybe was a bit more interesting than your standard workout.</div>
It was more &quot;interesting&quot;, but it wasn't as good as a workout that I would get at the gym. I tried out another gym today in my town.

It was much better than the 1st one. No rubber coated plates (I think I was spoiled from Penn State) and no seated dips machine. There was a chins machine and everything else that I wanted. The place was very open. There were only two benches which may be a pain when there is high traffic.

WORKOUT - 1ST MAX STIM EVER @ 15RM
Deadlifts = 185
*I changed my stance making it much closer. I felt no pain in my knees, but more strain on my lower back which tells me that my prior form was cheating a bit. My first set was a regular 15 rep set, and the next one was Max-Stim with 5 second M-time. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but it WAS the 2ND set.

Bench Press = 135, 165
1st set at 135 was regular, 2nd was Max-Stim, probably should have done 155

Arnold Press = 30, 35
1st set was regular, 2nd set was Max-Stim but I only managed 7 reps, my shoulders were hurting!!

Pendlay Rows = 95
1ST TIME EVER DOING THIS EXERCISE
I like them, but I feel I can work on my form (of course). Max-Stim was fun and easy to do.

CG Chins = (120 lbs assisted), (100 lbs)
On the chins machine, both the normal set and the Max-Stim went well

Seated Calf Raises = 90
Performed Max-Stim w/static holds

I had a quick warmup and ended with Cuban Presses. I think I would have felt better with Max-Stim if I didn't do normal sets at first, but I wanted to guage the weight correctly.

I also must add that the compliments keep pouring in.

One of my best friends the other night was showing me off to other people because he was so proud that I was 250 lbs.

Today, after the gym while standing in line at the bank, an older gent turned around and started staring at me and scoping me down. I asked him why he was looking at me, and he replied, &quot;You look like Atlas!&quot;
laugh.gif
cool.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Time for some pics, Atlas! Let us all bask in your reflected glory!!!!
laugh.gif
</div>

Unfortunately, I am not at a comfortable enough bf% to post a picture of myself, but since you asked...

atlas5.jpg

Calipers came in on Friday, and I changed up my diet today by utilizing my ULW assumption because I suspected the figure was a bit too low (2000 cal BMR). ULW gives me 2400 calories for my BMR.

Last week's diet was rough on the caloric side, but high in protein (215g/day) nevertheless! I also maintained a 4:1 ratio for Omega 6:3 fatty acids. My potassium/sodium ratio went up, fat (unsaturated-saturated) ratio went down to 1.63, and cholesterol went up a bit as I ate eggs every other day.

It's about time I go outside, take out the trash, and perform my caveman workout Max-Stim style! M-time = 3 seconds
cool.gif

Funny how Charles looked BIG to us when we were kids! Look at those arms and legs! Even I have better than that! Of course, he had the knowledge of the day and applied it. Monster chest there.

Yeah, I quite agree Quad. I still have my Atlas course that I sent off for as a youth. At least you can definitely say he was a natty. Looks like he never even smelt a roid. Mind you, looks like he didn't spend much time in a squat rack either.
biggrin.gif
At 250lbs, I hope your quads are better than that Colby?
laugh.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Mind you, looks like he didn't spend much time in a squat rack either.
biggrin.gif
At 250lbs, I hope your quads are better than that Colby?
laugh.gif
</div>

I had to recently quit (for the 2nd time) squats because my legs are too big. Genetics are a huge factor in my big legs. The only problem about lack of squats is the lack of strength in my quads. Another problem I worry about is throwing my knee out due to imbalance between quads/hamstrings.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Paint Can 3/4 filled - 11 lbs
&quot;Sit Can&quot; #1 filled with paint to some level unknown - 34 lbs
&quot;Sit Can&quot; #2 filled with paint, paint cans, pineapple juice can, and extra water - 56 lbs
24 pack of Pepsi Cans - 17 lbs</div>

Yesterday's Workout - 10 reps - CAVEMAN! MaxStim STYLE
Pendlay Rows - Sit Can #2, Pepsi Cube, and Two Paint Cans = 100 - I swear I did 6 sets
Deadlift - all of the above + Sit Can #1 = 135 - 2 sets
Military Press - Pepsi Cube + 2 Paint Cans = 40 - 3 sets
Lateral Raises - 2 Paint Cans = 11 lbs in each arm
Dips = no added weight, clustered 1 set between chairs as it hurt my wrist

This is such a cool idea, colby! I truly hope that you see the results you want! Max-Stim caveman - great stuff!

I have a similar issue with my legs - they grow very, very quickly. I guess I just don't care anymore as my wife has relented and bought bigger pants. For your knees, try doing single-leg leg extensions. They really helped to strengthen everything around my knees and seemed to keep the size in check. I know it's a dreaded iso move, but just as you said, with a quad-hammy imbalance, bad things happen to your knees.

Back