Cycle #10 - 2x/week HST + "Caveman" Workout

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 26 2007,14:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 26 2007,14:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dang son, 140 DB's?  NICE!  
biggrin.gif
</div>
That's the aggregate weight!  How do I make myself more clear with the DB's...</div>
DB Bench Press: 70's - 5 (2 Sets)

Wasn't trying to offend.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wasn't trying to offend. </div>

No offense was taken. My reply came across wrong. I'll use the 's notation from now on... can you believe I've been here for two years, and I couldn't get that right until now?
wow.gif

anywhere it says MS, it stands for a psuedo-Max-Stim

Caveman Workout - 6/28/07 - 5 reps

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 35 - 15, 55 - 8

HST Workout:
Pendlay Rows: 105 - 5 (4 sets), 125 - 5
Deadlifts: 105 - WU, 135 - 5 (2 sets), 175 - 5
Arnold Press: 85 - 5

Comments:
I figured out a temporarily solution to add more weight. Sixteen pound bowling ball and four weight bands of about five pounds each. Next week, I might have to access the tool box.

I warmed up for ten minutes on a Gazelle, by Tony Little. HAHA... Hey, it got my HR up a bit. Near the end of my workout, I ran sprints up and down my lane (.1 miles) twice.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 29 2007,10:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What are you using the do the arnolds?</div>
The same plastic storage bin that I am using for the rows and deadlift. It's more of a wider starting position at the chest than I would like, but I bend my arms in the same fashion and the ROM is the same.

Hmm, maybe I've been always doing them wrong. I thought you would have to use dumbells (or something separate in each hand), because you had to move your grip from supinated to pronated as you press up? A little more involved than that, but regardless, impossible to do with one single object held in both hands. Or am I just completely lost here lol
rock.gif

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 29 2007,12:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hmm, maybe I've been always doing them wrong. I thought you would have to use dumbells (or something separate in each hand), because you had to move your grip from supinated to pronated as you press up? A little more involved than that, but regardless, impossible to do with one single object held in both hands. Or am I just completely lost here lol
rock.gif
.</div>
No, you are right about the Arnold Press. Like I said, the movement I do is a cross between the Arnold (and how the arms move) and a Military Press.

Workout - 6/29/07 - 5 Reps

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 45 - 15

HST Workout:
Pendlay Rows: 135 - 5 (2 sets), 45 - 15
Deadlift: 135 - WU, 225 - 5, 250 - 5 (2 sets), 135 - 15
Bench Press: 45 - WU, 155 - 5 (5 sets), 95 - 15
Arnold Press: 40's - 5
CG Pulldowns: 180 - 5 (3 sets), 100 - 15

HIT Exhaustion:
Single Leg Extensions: 50 - 15, 75 - 10, 90 - 5

Comments:
Max-Stim wasn't needed at all today. I added in metabolic sets at the end of each exercise. This was one of my best workouts in a couple months! I actually enjoyed cardio for the first time since my appendicitis (Oct06). Shoulders were sore from the day before, so I stuck to one set of Arnolds and skipped the Cubans.

Cardio... I warmed up by walking .1 miles at 3.5mph, then jogged .15 miles at 6.5mph. After my workout, I did sprint training: .1 miles at 3.5mph, 11mph, 3.5mph, 11mph.... totaled 1 mile. That's the way I will be doing cardio for now on... nothing too long so I don't increase catabolism.

I think I need to start improving my grip. I am noticing the bar slip out of my hands during the later reps of a deadlift set!
wow.gif

Also, the leg extensions are bothering me. I do them on a standard seated machine and the padded bar by my shins keeps rolling down my legs at the end of the rep. This wouldn't bother me if it didn't hurt at much.

Colby, if you don't my my asking, what symptoms prompted you to seek medical attention when you had the appendix problem?

I ask because I've been having a pain in my upper abdomen on the right side while running...it's probably not an appendix issue, but I'm still curious to know your experience.

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jun. 29 2007,18:25)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Colby, if you don't my my asking, what symptoms prompted you to seek medical attention when you had the appendix problem?

I ask because I've been having a pain in my upper abdomen on the right side while running...it's probably not an appendix issue, but I'm still curious to know your experience.</div>
It sounds like you are having cramps, which nearly anyone who isn't 100% trained to run will get. I was always worried that I wouldn't realize my appendix was going to burst. Trust me, you will know. It was the most excruciating pain in my life.

I definitely think you're right about the cramps as my water intake hasn't been up to par. Coffee is getting me through &quot;finals week&quot; of the summer semester and I'm sure that's sucking water out of my system.

My endurance is BY NO MEANS excellent, but I've been coming in at under 40 minutes in the 5 mile for the last 6 weeks or so...so maybe adequate.

thanks for the reassurance! I've never been sidelined by cramps before (even when cutting weight for wrestling). I'm getting old....

As usual, my diet got worse around the weekend, but it was mostly due to my sciatica acting up. I aggravated it during a run at the track Saturday, and I have been hurting since. Still, it was my best week yet of the cut. All the ratios improved as well as my protein intake.

Also, my weight went down slightly and my body fat% went down a bit.

Diet Analysis of Last Week
Daily Caloric Deficit = -375 kcal
Protein/day = 251g
Omega-6 to Omega-3 = 2.67
K/Na = 1.48
U:S = 1.79
Macro% (F/C/P/A) = 21/38/38/3

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 29 2007,18:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I think I need to start improving my grip. I am noticing the bar slip out of my hands during the later reps of a deadlift set!
wow.gif

Also, the leg extensions are bothering me. I do them on a standard seated machine and the padded bar by my shins keeps rolling down my legs at the end of the rep. This wouldn't bother me if it didn't hurt at much.</div>
Hey Colby - my grip was a huge issue. I've since purchased the Ivanko Super Gripper, and train my grip at minimum once per day with a little workout that I put together.

Bottom line - the bar didn't slip out of my hands today during my SLDL's and I used the heaviest weight yet in my cycle.

For your extensions - I HATE when that happens!
mad.gif
Do you have any machine alternatives?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Colby - my grip was a huge issue. I've since purchased the Ivanko Super Gripper, and train my grip at minimum once per day with a little workout that I put together.

Bottom line - the bar didn't slip out of my hands today during my SLDL's and I used the heaviest weight yet in my cycle.</div>

I am unable to buy some super gripper at this moment. I found one of those spring loaded hand grippers that I am using time to time. I may also try some reverse curls and farmer's walks at the gym.

anywhere it says MS, it stands for a psuedo-Max-Stim

Caveman Workout - 7/3/07 - 5 reps

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 35 - 15, 45 - 10, 55 - 5
Lateral Raises: 16 - 10

HST Workout:
Pendlay Rows: 120 - 5 (3 sets)
Deadlifts: 120 - WU, 180 - 5 (2 sets), 190 - 5 (3 sets - MS)
Military Press: 80 - 5

Comments:
I got caught up in some other stuff amidst my workout. My plan was to do some farmer's walks and HIIT afterwards. However, I got some decent cardio doing yard work this morning.

Workout - 7/5/07 - 5 Reps

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 45 - 15, 55 - 10, 65 - 5

HST Workout:
Deadlift: 135 - WU, 225 - 5, 260 - 3 (2 sets)
sad.gif
, 160 - 15
Pendlay Rows: 150 - 5 (2 sets), 150 - 5 (MS), 70 - 15
Bench Press: 135 - WU, 165 - 5 (4 sets), 95 - 15
Arnold Press: 40's - 5 (2 sets), 20's - 10
CG Pulldowns: 180 - 5 (2 sets)

HIT Exhaustion:
Cuban Press: 35 - 15, 40 - 10, 45 - 15
Reverse Curls: 40 - 15, 45 - 10

Comments:
Once again, I had a great day on bench. Unfortunately, the story wasn't the same for deadlifts. My grip (left hand) started to fail after my 3rd rep of 260 lbs. The strength is there in my lower back, hamstrings, and arms. I think I need to be serious about grip training. That is why I added reverse curls at the end of my WO. I'm not particularly sold on them though.

I did my standard walk &amp; jog warmup, but I skipped my HIIT afterwards. I did some calf work near the end of my WO though.
biggrin.gif

I went back to &quot;try out&quot; the gym where my first HST cycle was this time two years ago! They are quite expensive - $49/month + $125 enrollment fees. They didn't even have bumper plates or a swimming pool. Oh well, at least I got a free workout out of them!

Try those reverse curls with your thumbs on top of the bar. You find you have to grip a lot harder with your other fingers and always gave me a good burn on the forearms.

Workout - 7/6/07 - 5 RM

HIT Warmup:
Side Bends: 50 - 15, 60 - 10, 70 - 5

HST Workout:
Deadlift: 135 - WU, 225 - 5, 270 - 5 (MS) , 155 - 15
Pendlay Rows: 150 - 5 (2 sets)
Rack Pulls (5 second hold): 225 - 5, 315 - 5 (MS)
Bench Press: 135 - WU, 170 - 5 (2 sets), 180 - 5 (MS), 135 - 12
Arnold Press: 45's - 5 (2 sets), 22.5's - 15
Chins: BW-70 - 5 (2 sets)

HIT Exhaustion:
Cuban Press: 35 - 15, 55 - 5
Reverse Curls: 35 - 15, 55 - 5
Seated Calf Raises: 45 - 15, 70 - 10, 90 - 5
Farmer's Walk (1/12 mile): 40's - 3/4 around, 22.5's - full lap, 17.5's - full lap

Comments:
Another great day at the gym! I pushed my 5RM on my bench a bit further thanks to Max-Stim. I'll see if I can get a spotter come Monday when I try a regular set at 180 lbs. My grip is still a big question mark with the deadlifts. Max-Stim should help me with strength gains while my grip is lacking. Farmer's walks were pretty tough. My forearms burned a lot more with them than any hand crunching or reverse curl exercise that I have done before.

What are everybody's opinions on rack pulls for grip strength?

I did my standard one mile HIIT after my WO.

The gym I tried out was very big and nice. Once again, no bumper plates were to be had, but the plates they did have were coated. The membership price was the most outrageous I have seen so far at $90/month! The indoor track (1/12 mile long) was a nice bonus.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice rack pulls.. should help you get up to your new DL goal. Did you try those thumbless reverse curls? </div>

I put my thumbs over like you said, but not holding them off the curl bar?

Diet Analysis of the past week
Daily Caloric Deficit = -384 kcal (best yet)
Protein/day = 232g
Omega-6 to Omega-3 = 3.75
K/Na = 1.24
U:S = 2.11
Macro% (F/C/P/A) = 29/31/34/6

Back