Cycle #10 - 2x/week HST + "Caveman" Workout

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">For your knees, try doing single-leg leg extensions. They really helped to strengthen everything around my knees and seemed to keep the size in check. I know it's a dreaded iso move, but just as you said, with a quad-hammy imbalance, bad things happen to your knees. </div>

That is some great advice, but why single-leg and not both?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Caveman? More like Heath Robinson/Rube Goldberg!
laugh.gif
</div>

Cartoonists? I don't really have any machines... just trying to lift heavy stuff!

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jun. 19 2007,11:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That is some great advice, but why single-leg and not both?</div>
For me, single-leg seems to isolate the quad, and especially the fibers all around the knee better than double-leg. Also, when I do double-leg, my right leg almost always takes over. With single-leg, that issue disappears and my left side gets hit just as hard. I can focus on form better and destroy imbalances.

I'm rather opinionated on the matter, my friend.
tounge.gif

Tim, the single leg extensions went well; I did them HIT style.

Went to one of my old gyms today because it is really close and I was running short on time.

I tried to do deadlifts without shoes. It was neat; that's about all I can do to describe the experience. Max-Stim is going okay as I am still trying to adjust to it. I've been doing a psuedo mix between regular sets and Max-Stim. For example, today I worked out with 80% of my 10RM. I did 10 reps in a regular set for a given exercise. I took a half minute break and then went to do another 10 reps, but Max-Stim style. I came up with a good rythym for M-Time too...

After each Nth rep, rack and rest for the N seconds. I may eventually turn this into full blown Max-Stim, but I am following Slapz log a bit as he is working out Max-Stim only half of the time too.

Workout - 6/20/07

HIT Warmup:
DB Side Bends: 35 - 15, 45 - 10, 55 - 5

HST Workout:
Deadlifts: 200 - 10, 200 - 10 (MS)
Pendlay Rows: 135 - 10 (2 sets), 135 - 10 (MS)
Bench Press: 135 - 10 (2 sets), 155 - 10 (MS)
Arnold Press: 35 - 10 (2 sets)
Seated Calf Raises: 50 - 10, 70 - 10 (MS)
*Dips and Chins too, not listing weights

HIT Exhaustion:
Cuban Press: 35 - 10 (2 sets)
Single Leg Extension: 50 - 15, 70 - 10, 90 - 5, 110 - 3

Comments:
It was a great workout! I am feeling some DOMS today; albeit not an important factor to muscle growth, I know I had a solid workout. I lifted for over an hour and warmed up with a 5 minute walk &amp; run. Approximate calories burned during workout was 838.88.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I tried to do deadlifts without shoes.  It was neat; that's about all I can do to describe the experience.</div>
Yeah, I think I might permanently do my DL's without shoes.  Granted, if I ever get to a high enough weight where I feel like I am risking injury without the support I might decide otherwise.  But unlike squats, you really don't have to get &quot;set&quot; while supporting a bunch of weight, since we get our stance ready before moving any weight.  So I don't really see too much possibility for wobbling our ankles.  Any of you guys pulling 400+ feel differently?  I just really feel like I get a whole lot more drive off the ground without the shoes.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I did 10 reps in a regular set for a given exercise.  I took a half minute break and then went to do another 10 reps, but Max-Stim style.....I may eventually turn this into full blown Max-Stim, but I am following Slapz log a bit as he is working out Max-Stim only half of the time too.
</div>
I don't have anything to back this up... but just thinking about it some, if you could get all 20 reps with doing half and half (conventional and MS), why would you want to bother going full MS?  You are still doing the same amount of work, but you keep the endurance gain of doing a full set which might come in handy when the weights gets heavy.  

I almost look at MS as medicine.  Use it only when needed.  I almost want to give MS a full cycle's try just to know how it really feels to use it in its entirety.  I guess I'm just trying to say that, if you have a desired rep total, and you know how much weight you are going to use, why not get what you can with normal reps, THEN use MS to get to your goal.

Not criticizing your routine by any means, I'm just interested in getting other opinions on that as I'm getting close to building up by second routine next week.  
smile.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Yeah, I think I might permanently do my DL's without shoes.</div>

I am thinking the same as it feels comfortable, and I have less tendency to lean forward.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You are still doing the same amount of work, but you keep the endurance gain of doing a full set which might come in handy when the weights gets heavy. </div>

I have the same philosophy. I'm not really practicing MS at all. All I really am doing is clustering. To truely call your workout a MS workout, you must follow its additional principles and not just clustering.

When I approach post-5's, that will be the point that I truely practice MS, but once again it is just cluster training to me.

&quot;You say tomato, I say tomatoe?&quot;

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not criticizing your routine by any means, I'm just interested in getting other opinions on that as I'm getting close to building up by second routine next week.
smile.gif
</div>

You were not criticizing, but simply complimenting, commenting, and giving your advice. Welcome to the HST forum! That is what we do! You already seem like a great member, so keep up the good work... with training and eating that is!
laugh.gif

anywhere it says MS, it stands for a psuedo-Max-Stim

Workout - 6/22/07 - 10RM

HIT Warmup:
DB Side Bends: 35 - 15, 45 - 10, 55 - 5

HST Workout:
Pendlay Rows: 135 - 10, 115 - 10
Deadlifts: 135 - 10, 225 - 10 (MS), 200 - 10 (MS)
Bench Press: 135 - 10, 150 - 10, 155 - 10, 165 - 10 (MS)
Arnold Press: 35 - 10 (2 sets)
CG Pulldowns: 100 - 10, 110 - 10

HIT Exhaustion:
Cuban Press: 35 - 10 (2 sets)
Single Leg Extension: 50 - 15, 70 - 10, 90 - 5, 110 - 3

Comments:
I'm not sure what happened with the rows today. I'm still tweaking with the form, so that may be part of the issue. Bench Press workout was fantastic. It seems like those Cuban Presses are doing their magic trick! I tried to do dips, but was a bit too tired. I forgot about the calf raises. Overall, it was a pretty good workout. I successfully hit a new 10RM on my Bench Press, so that's always great news!
cool.gif

You might find that the Pendlays and deads in the same day might get to be a little much once the weights get really heavy.  Might be just me, so if you can pull it off then great!  I just know that after I do either one, my lower back is pretty exhausted.. so if I ever tried doing the other afterwards I wouldn't be 100%.  Squats don't seem to be so taxing on the back, so I try putting my Pendlays with those.

Congrats on the bench number, Colby! That's great!

I'm also glad that the single-leg extensions are working out for you. That's the one exercise that really helped me to regain strength around my knees. I hope it does the same for you, not to mention keeping your quads and hammy's proportionate.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 22 2007,13:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">You might find that the Pendlays and deads in the same day might get to be a little much once the weights get really heavy.   I just know that after I do either one, my lower back is pretty exhausted.. so if I ever tried doing the other afterwards I wouldn't be 100%.  Squats don't seem to be so taxing on the back, so I try putting my Pendlays with those.</div>
I'm exactly the opposite! I also like the bar being right there, loaded to go for deads after pendlay's or vice-versa.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm also glad that the single-leg extensions are working out for you. That's the one exercise that really helped me to regain strength around my knees. I hope it does the same for you, not to mention keeping your quads and hammy's proportionate. </div>

It seems to be a good exercise. If I can lift more and more each week through HIT method, then I will be gaining strength. As long as I don't gain size I will be happy. Maybe I should decrease the frequency?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">
I'm exactly the opposite! I also like the bar being right there, loaded to go for deads after pendlay's or vice-versa. </div>

That was my idea - I can just go from rows to deadlift or vice-versa.

New week....

Last Week's Diet Analysis
Average Caloric Difference: -200.36 (hmm, bad weekend turned it into a slow cut)
Macro: 22.9% / 38.6% / 31.7% / 6.81% (F/C/P/A)
O-3/O-6 Ratio: 3.06 (lowest yet)
K/Na Ratio: 10/7 (highest yet)
Fiber: 23.83g/day (highest)
Protein: 215.46 (about .85g/lb)

anywhere it says MS, it stands for a psuedo-Max-Stim

Caveman Workout - 6/25/07 - 5 reps

HST Workout:
Pendlay Rows: 105 - 5 (2 sets)
Deadlifts: 135 - 5 (2 sets)
Arnold Press: 85 - 5

Comments:
135 lbs is about all I have. The physical size of the weights gets too big after that, but at least I am lifting weights.

Previous posts when I listed Arnold Press - 35, that means two 35 lb DB's.

I'm not an advocate of slow rep training or massive fatigue work, but in this case, perhaps some technical changes could increase intensity. What might work as a guess is doing two reps counting as one, but what you would possibly do is one explosive rep followed by one slow rep. I'll bet that raises the bar for you, and perhaps would recruit more motor units from the fatigue, mitochondria from the volume, and slow twitch fibres from the explosives.
It's just something that came to mind.

Quad, I may have to stick with specializing techniques such as static holds, longer TUT, change of rep tempo within set, and other methods. I'll take your advice for my next caveman workout by varying up the tempo. I'll also add in some static holds.

Workout - 6/26/07 - 5 Reps

HST Workout:
Seated Rows (Straight Back): 110 - 5 (2 sets), 130 - 5, 150 - 5
DB Deadlifts: 140 - WU, 180 - 5 (2 sets), 220 - hands lost grip of DB's (much easier with a barbell!)
DB Bench Press: 90 - WU, 140 - 5 (2 sets)
Arnold Press: 35 - 5 (2 sets), 45 - 5
CG Pulldowns: 110 - WU, 135 - 5 (2 sets), 150 - 5

Comments:
I was teaching a buddy of mine some of the basic lifts, so I didn't bother with my warmup/exhaustion exercises. The gym he goes to is the local YMCA. It is everything I expected: free weights limited to DB's, mostly machines and cardio, no racks at all.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jun. 26 2007,14:13)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dang son, 140 DB's? NICE!
biggrin.gif
</div>
That's the aggregate weight! How do I make myself more clear with the DB's...

Back