FF's Log .1

• Thread starter imported_fearfactory
  • Start date
<div>
(nipponbiki @ May 29 2008,4:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">175-pound press.... that is simply amazing.</div>
thanks nippon! I'm hoping to get a strict press w/ 200 soon. it'd be more amazing if I were pressing bodyweight...

5-30-08
Squats
1x5x170
1x3x350 (took a vid &amp; will probably post it Mon)
1x1x370

Bench
1x5x175
1x3x255
1x1x280

notes - my father is injured and I am running his business. which means I am/will be super busy from sun up to sun down 7 days a week. it's good to have work as I need it, but depressing having him injured. at any rate, I'll pick up cleans when I get off work tonight.

I'm a lot happier with squat form now from the standpoint of buttwink/ham relaxation/lower back flexion. 350 was not taken ATG, but I am still happy w/ the effort. I'm very optimistic about the prospect of 400 pounds.

280 bench is very close to my 1RM. maybe I can get 285 next week. putting up 300 is going to take a while...
sad.gif

<div>
(fearfactory @ May 31 2008,7:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">notes - my father is injured and I am running his business. which means I am/will be super busy from sun up to sun down 7 days a week. it's good to have work as I need it, but depressing having him injured.</div>
Yup, take care of your dad and the business. The iron will still be there waiting for you.

depressing day today. a local factory scheduled a demonstration for the same Saturday I had intended to do a powerlifting meet. that's out the window.

also, I took a video of myself failing a clean attempt w/ 250 that ended ugly. still debating on whether to post it. and I failed trying to deadlift 480 today. twice.

Squats
1x5x175
1x5x225
1x5x275
1x2x365
0x1x385
0x1x385 - I really thought I'd get this...but didn't

Clean &amp; Push Press
1x5x145
1x5x165
1x5x195
0x1x250 - ended up flat on my back, fell backwards after an awkward catch
1x1x225 - didn't feel very redeeming

Deadlifts (only done out of anger)
0x2x480 - complete failure achieved

I'm not really so down about today as I let on...it just sucked.

Sorry to hear about your pop and that the meet is a no-go. There will be other chances and by then you will be a 500+ deadlifter. All your lifts are really going well. Even being able to attempt a 250 clean is a sign of good things to come soon.

All in all, that looks like it was a great workout. (Secretly, I'm rather glad you flunked the squats. [jk
biggrin.gif
]) My guess is you will get or exceed that deadlift weight if you deadlift before squatting next time.

Oh yeah, gotta see that vid! Purely for educational purposes of course.  
wink.gif

Echoing Lol, you've had a great run and will bounce back no problem. Hope your father gets better soon. Man, that power clean incident sounds pretty scary!!

F@$#in' A dude, I'm not laughing!!  Laying back with 250 across the front of your shoulders looked smooth I must say!
wow.gif

Hey Fear, amazing that you made that look so balletic!
laugh.gif
I love the way the guy says &quot;You all right?&quot; once you've been lying on your back for several seconds.

Good effort and I'm glad no harm done.

I'm no expert but for what it's worth: I noticed that your arms aren't straight during the first and second pull which is probably robbing you of some of the impulse from your jump and shrug. But maybe that's as straight as your arms can go? Still, you are getting the bar plenty high enough so it's no biggy.

My other thought: I'm not so sure that rolling the bar towards you for cleans is a good idea? It's just that when you rolled it towards you and then pulled, it's almost as if you set yourself up for the bar to move back towards you during the pull. Then you were put off balance for the catch. As I don't see any Oly lifters do this I can only assume that it is not a good idea for Oly lifts. I don't see a problem doing it for deads but, for Oly lifts, the initial pull on the bar needs to be in a vertical plain so anything you do to disrupt that probably isn't going to help you.

Anyway, you definitely have the height. It's just a matter of getting under the bar quicker and snapping those elbows up. It did look as if the bar fell quite a long way before you racked it which means you are going to have to work harder to slow it down whilst keeping your balance.

You have to marvel at the speed of some of the heavyweight Oly lifters. Grease lightening comes to mind!

yeah...I made several eggregious mistakes on that clean attempt.  part of it was nervousness, part of it was stubborness, and part of it was plain stupidity.

that's alright, that's the way I learn.

I think you're correct to say that I shouldn't roll the bar towards me, that's a nervous habit.  Also, you're right on about snapping the elbows forward.  My mind was fixed on catching the bar and perorming a deep front squat...but I caught the bar in a nice high position and had my elbows been forward, I could have easily stood up w/ the bar racked nicely on my shoulders.

then the video might've been of a failed press attempt!  lol.  I'll give it a shot again at the end of my next cycle and we'll see how it goes.

edit- Those guys in the video are good dudes. They were massively entertained by my failure, which they had every right to be. I've ribbed them a bit too much probaby and I know they don't appreciate my cleaning &amp; pressing in such close proximity to their curl rack.

Deads
1x3x315 (DOH)
1x2x365
1x2x425 (alternate grip)
0x2x480 (had it past my knees both times, couldn't lock out)
1x1x460 (no hitch)

SOHP
1x5x135
1x1x185
1x1x200 (goal reached)

Push Press
0x1x250 (close, couldn't quite lock out)
1x1x240

Squats
1x20x225

notes-
I'm taking a break now. Leaving on vacation this weekend, so it's a good time. Glad that I did the 5x5, got kind of loose at the end, but overall was conservative and made good progress. It felt good to stick to the program and be patient. Learned a lot conceptually and kinesthetically.

reasons/excuses that I didn't make as much progress on strength:
- started running the last 3 weeks of the program
- slacked off on eating a bit lately, been spending more time out in the heat
- the running caused some bodyweight loss, I'm down to 240 today
- lack of self-confidence
- should've taken a brief break before starting the 5x5, I think it's been something like 22 weeks since I last took a break.

upside
- laid a foundation for future gains
- learned a lot about what I'm capable, the importance of using good technique, set-up, and consistency

Wohoo! A 200lb SOHP! Well done Fear. That's a great achievement.
cool.gif

I reckon you might have got the first 480lb dead too if you hadn't lifted 425 twice. Once I am well warmed up, I find working up with singles is a better way to get a new PR. Getting that 460 after the 480 attempts was pretty darn impressive too.

How do your maxes on the big three stack up now?

Hope you have a very enjoyable and well earned vacation.

thanks Lol. that 200# strict press meant a lot to me. I'd have to say it's my most improved lift over the last 5 months or so...

my 1 rep maxes look something like:

Squat - 365
Bench - 280
Dead - 460
total - 1105

my total before the 5x5 was 1010...so definite improvement. can't complain. still have plenty of work to do though!

also, I appreciate your thoughts on warming up for a dead pr. I will employ your advice next time.

Congrats on the 200 ohp. That's just outstanding!! Great cycle for you and great gains. Enjoy your well earned vacation!!

6-16-08

Squats
2x15x245

Bench
2x15x185

Bent Row
2x15x165

15 Pull ups

2x15xbw incline situps

notes- used ~ 80% of my 1RM on the lifts. first sets felt like serious effort and the second wasn't bad at all. woke up last night w/ the familiar low back fatigue. back at it.

PLAN- Mon &amp; Fri will look like the above. 15's for 2 wks, then 10's, and then 5's. It'll be a 6 week HST cycle, 5's will be extended (if necessary) until progressive load is no longer an option.

Weds will see Clean + Presses, Deads and a couple other exercises (don't have my notes at the moment). I might alternate Cleans &amp; Deads if I'm feeling lazy.

I was just watching some of your videos on you tube. Quite impressive my HST friend! You had some solid form pushing those high weights. For example, your back squats had a great bar to feet line as it stayed straight up 90 degrees, most of the time or at least, until the last rep. If you have a chance, you should post a video of your bent over rows.

very many thanks Colby! hope your honeymoon went well!

I will definitely post a video of bent over rows on Friday. were it not for posting videos on this site, I think that my form would be even worse than it already is.... was watching that video of Rippetoe squatting in another thread here. the way he dives down (bar speed on descent) and takes advantage of the stretch reflex....that's what I'm working on now.

Clean &amp; Press
1x15x180 (first 5 presses were strict)

Deads
1x15x260 (DOH)

Front Squats
1x15x215

incline situps 2x15xbw
5 chins

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jun. 18 2008,6:46)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">very many thanks Colby! hope your honeymoon went well!

I will definitely post a video of bent over rows on Friday. were it not for posting videos on this site, I think that my form would be even worse than it already is.... was watching that video of Rippetoe squatting in another thread here. the way he dives down (bar speed on descent) and takes advantage of the stretch reflex....that's what I'm working on now.</div>
Thanks FF - it was the most amazing vacation of my life! I look forward to your Friday posting. I usually do not log on to HST on the weekends, but I may do so (to post in my log) after a planned workout on Saturday, so we'll see how things go.

About the Squat, when you are going down, just keep on thinking of going up. The same follows through for bench. It's what Rippletoe advises, and, I must say, it works!

Back