How Much Omega 3?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I like spinach.  With vinegar on it.</div>
I had to put vinegar on the canned stuff to choke it down. The fresh stuff is OK, though.

Most people think I am a bit strange with the vinegar, but I like it on a lot of green veggies.  Even liked it when I was a kid.  But then, I loved sauerkraut, too.  
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Bulldog @ Jan. 18 2007,09:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I haven't tried this yet but this is what I will be purchasing when my Flax oil runs out.

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product....id=03a9

http://www.amazon.com/Carlson....8&amp;s=hpc

From what I have heard this &quot;Lemon&quot; flavored fish oil is supposed to be the best tasting fish oil on the market.  Of course if you don't like lemon then you probably won't like this oil.  But read the reviews and their comments regarding taste.

They also have an &quot;Orange&quot; flavor but it did not win the &quot;Superior taste award&quot; like the &quot;Lemon&quot; flavor, whatever that is.</div>
Well, I went ahead and ordered a bottle of the lemon flavored Carlson Labs fish oil.  I have never used liquid fish oil before so I can't really compare the taste to another oil.  As far as the taste goes, it doesn't taste bad really but I wouldn't say it tastes good either.  Meaning If I wasn't taking it for nutritional benefits then I wouldn't take it.  It just tastes like a heavy oil with a hint of lemon flavor but you can hardly taste the lemon.

I usually take one teaspoon after breakfast and one after dinner.  One teaspoon contains 1,600mg of Omega 3.  800mg EPA, 500mg DHA and 300mg of &quot;other&quot;.  No matter what I eat before I take it I seem to have the fish oil burps.  Luckly they don't taste too bad but you can tell that you have taken fish oil.

The bottle says nothing about shaking it, but I did after I had opened it and the cap leaked quite a bit because it doesn't seal very tight after it has been opened and made a little bit of a mess.  So I don't recommend shaking it.

I'm thinking of getting a bottle of the kids formula to see if I can get my 7 year old to start taking it.  He is ADHD and from what I read the fish oil should help after a few months.  But if it tastes like the stuff I'm taking then he won't touch it.

Actually after taking it a few more times it doesn't taste bad at all and does taste more lemony that I originally thought it did. It is just the burps that drive me nuts.

Wonders how they get the oil...squish the fish? Anyway, $21.00 and shipping for a bottle? YOW! But I get it about comparing caps to liquid.

bulldog- have you tried adding the oil to a shake or smoothy? This might do a better job of disguising the taste, and smoothies or milkshakes might be more appealing to your 7yo...

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 20 2007,21:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wonders how they get the oil...squish the fish? Anyway, $21.00 and shipping for a bottle? YOW! But I get it about comparing caps to liquid.</div>
Quad,

It is a 500ml bottle, each teaspoon is 5ml so that is 100 servings per bottle at 1,600mg of Omega 3. I don't think you can touch that value with any capsules.

Wasn't Udo's oil developed to be the &quot;exact&quot; amounts/ratios needed of 3's and 6's?

If not, IS there anything out there that does?
And I specifically refer to athletic needs, not everyjoe daily routine diets.

re. taste in shakes - yeah, might be nasty. Might taste OK though (only a teaspoon...how bad can it be ;) ) Actually, I like 'dressing' food with olive olive - makes it very easy to eat the stuff
biggrin.gif

quad- you get a few pills that claim to offer an 'ideal' ratio of 3/6. imho, there's not a great deal of need for that, though - unless you eat a *very* restricted/disciplined diet, you'll get plenty of omega 6 fats; if you're worried about getting omega 6, just eat some of the seeds with lots of omega 6 (e.g. sunflower seeds or oil tastes nice), or most nuts are good sources too. No real need for an omega 6 pill when it's in so many nice foods imo.

I might be odd, though - I much prefer a tin of pilchards to a fish oil pill
biggrin.gif

I'm taking flaxseed oil capsules. Each one is 1000mg and contains 500mg of ALA, 123mg of linoleic acid and 140mg of oleic acid. It says to take two a day and I'm taking six. Does that sound OK to you guys?
TIA,
J
smile.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Mar. 21 2007,20:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wasn't Udo's oil developed to be the &quot;exact&quot; amounts/ratios needed of 3's and 6's?

If not, IS there anything out there that does?
And I specifically refer to athletic needs, not everyjoe daily routine diets.</div>
I think so as it comes out 2:1. Personally, there are enough Omega 6 fats in the diet that you don't need the 460 mg of Omega 6 it supplies per serving. Then again, this probably means more $$$ for Udo because people will take more.

Then I reiterate Jazzer's question because I do exactly the same thing - 6 caps flax, but a couple fish caps too.
JMM, what is a pilchard? That like a sardine?

In terms of flax oil, the conversion from ALA to EPA isn't that great and you don't really need to omega 6 it contains. Unless you're vegetarian, you're probably best eating fish/taking fish oil. I mean, if you like flax on salad etc.
wow.gif
fair enough, but I'm not sure the supplements are that worthwhile?

quad - yep, very similar species to sardines. 1-1.5g omega 3 per tin, and don't cost much more than supplements
biggrin.gif

Interesting, thanks jmm. I will get some fish oil caps when I run out of flax caps. Only 220 to go then... gulp
blush.gif

J
smile.gif

My son tried the lemon flavored fish oil (1/2 teaspoon) and said &quot;I didn't even taste it&quot;. Which was great. However about 15 min. after he took it he said &quot;I keep burping and it tastes funny&quot;. I didn't tell him about the burping problem before he took it because I didn't want to scare him off so I know it was actually happening to him. So now he doesn't want to take it again because he said he burped all day long the last time he took it. Which I believe is a slight exaggeration. Anyhow, is there anything that can be taken with the fish oil to help eliminate the burping?

bulldog- sorry for stating the obvious, but you can't persuade him to eat fish? That might be a neat solution...

Have you tried mixing the oil with other drinks, salad dressing, etc - that might help with the burps? Not sure if there's any 'full' solution, though.

I wonder if those pills you take before eating that keep gas down would work? &quot;Gasso&quot; or something like that. OTC.

Back