How to SD?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blade @ Aug. 04 2003,1:27)]Is this a joke?
wow.gif
Actually, now that you mention it....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Singleton @ Aug. 04 2003,2:09)]WTF, blade?
So your dumping more crap on my thread, eh restless?
Lose the attitude. There is a reason why you get these kind of reactions, my good man...

This has to be the first time I've encountered someone with these kind of problems on his 3rd day of rest - including professional athletes. I doubt that your problems are as much of a physical as they are of a psychological nature.

You just have to stick it out - make some sacrifices, if you will - to reap more gains once you start over again. The glycogen and fluid loss (aka the "pump") is only temporary. Hydration level will determine how "fat" you look - it is impossible to gain so much fat in 3 days that you can visually notice it - e.g. 1lbs of fat is approx. 4500kcals.

Blade,

1 - I don't care for your ill explained article.
2- You're replies don't give much insight
3 - you are dumping your passive aggressive crap on my thread. Now I do have an attitude and I did apologize. If you still have a problem with my attitude, email me, otherwise, piss off.

dang dude if your not gonna put anything useful in your threads, questions or whatever, stop posting. No need to be jumping peoples #### about a training program. I'm on my 9th day of SD and I haven't lost size or gotten fatter. So unless your mistaking crisco for cottage cheese..... I really think people on here are getting sick of listening to you whine like a little baby.. So either listen to opinions from the more knowlegable about HST and follow the program as it is laid out and find out if it is gonna work for ya.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Singleton @ Aug. 04 2003,4:31)]Blade,
1 - I don't care for your ill explained article.
2- You're replies don't give much insight
3 - you are dumping your passive aggressive crap on my thread. Now I do have an attitude and I did apologize. If you still have a problem with my attitude, email me, otherwise, piss off.

1- What "ill explained article" are you referring to? The two-part article in norwegian Muscle Media? I've gotten loads of compliments via e-mails, phone calls, on norwegian discussion forums, and from publishers. Your opinion is a first, but every opinion is welcome, of course. Would you be so kind as to tell me what parts were ill explained? If you're referring to the FAQ, most of it is parts collected from Bryan's posts - as the title of the FAQ section implies.

2 - A number of people have helped you in this thread... I'm just telling you to calm down a bit, even elite athletes have periods of rest and recovery where the effects are only positive. I was trying to offer support by telling you to stick it out, this is only psychological - but the effects are obviously manifested physically or for your eyes only. The loss of pump is only temporary. The restless sleep and generally "feeling ill" is the psychological effect.

3 - No passive aggressive crap here. I was seriously wondering if this was a joke, and so were others here in this thread. You just need to calm down. It can be tough to believe that years of hard earned gains will be gone in a matter of days of rest, but you just have to trust the words of myself and people who have followed this system for a while now that it absolutely works. And also that elite athletes - we're talking guys who train 2-3hrs 7 days a week here - can take a week or two of rest with no ill effects like the ones you describe. Your "paranoid" fear of losing muscle is deceiving your eyes.

As a mod of this forum I can give you a public warning at any time if and when your attitude offends people here - so that's why I told you to keep your cool, alright?

Regards,
Blade

Singleton, you seem to have some serious psychological problems in there my friend. Imagine my position, I lost 60lb.'s and was down to 180 a lil less then a year ago...Then I went crazy in the weight room and attained a serious ankle injury...Out of the weight room for 1 ####### year! Still not back, imagine lurking around this board, studying everything you pick up and not being able to do it. I love HST even tho it has been nothing more than a tease to me. I have never attempted it (Actually I will: beginning in Sept.,) but the 9 days off should be a godpraise. ONLY 9 DAYS...I HAVE HAD OVER 365 AND IM BACK TO 210LB. (still 30lb's lighter, but ####### fatter than usual). AND MY MINDSET IS PERFECTLY FINE, I KNOW THAT ONCE I GET BACK, AND I HIT IT NOTHING CAN STOP ME. Please go see a physician, your pscyhological problems can be harming your *potential* gains.

And If I were you, dont flame Blade...He can be your best friend and worst enemy. Go look at his pics
tounge.gif

That green is hard to read.
--

I wasn't looking for opinions, I was looking for a better understanding of the strategic decoditioning portion of the HST program. A body of knowledge is not based on opinion.

As for whining, well. I apologized. And again.
--

I did get on the scale today during my workout. I started 15's.

-6lbs
I couldn't believe it. I don't know how it is possible, but yes, I am 183 lbs now and last week I was 189. The 189 was pretty consistent for the previous month; dipping as low as 187 and going up to almost 190 at times.

I think I look fatter because I have lost muscle tone due to lack of neural stimulation. This made me look fatter. THe weight loss was from freakin up on the diet and not being able to sleep.

So if I gain 6lbs, I'll be right back where I started.

The workout felt great, but made me very exhausted. I got a good pump (I always do). It was a very light workout with 15's I was conservative in my estimations, so the weights were a little lighter than expected. I got a great pump, but none of the burn blade mentioned. I did two sets on the chest and shoulders exercises and I did actually 16 reps instead of 15. This type of training should strengthen my tendons for when I get into heavier weights.

This whole thread has been 100% honest.

My weight can fluctuate 5lbs in one day according to what I eat and drink.

So you got exactly 3 days of SD before you started your HST program? For reasons I shouldn't have to go into if you've read the articles and FAQ section, your results will be diminished - just so you know...

But I suspect that there is nothing I can say or do to hold you back, so

Good luck.

My wife ordered me to "go to the f'n gym and workout," (emphasis hers) so yes blade, you are correct in your analysys: nothing you say will prevent me. Although I must say: based on the articles in the FAQ section, I do agree that it is consistent advice.

Last week I was doing some other stuff. I had my last real weights workout on saturday. It was 5's. I had tried to do HST, but I had estimated my weights too heavy and I did not SD before, so it was a mixed bag. The pullovers I did popped my tris out a lot and I did continue to cut up.

So, I did a little SD this time. I have planned a little more volume for my chest. How much will I gain? I don't know. Hopefully I'll get a halfway good result and then, back to my old style of training.

Again, sorry for going nuts on here. Thank you all for the information. I am totally obsessed, as I am sure some others are. I'm going on 30 and I have little going for me. I am usually pissed off and this always leads to killer workouts, which keep me sane.

ah - back to my work.

Man you guys!
crazy.gif
Let's try to keep this stuff in perspective. There are so many more important things than lifting in life (i.e. "real" life). We should get so worked up over this stuff.

Singleton, everybody is welcome here, but we all try to be a little more laid back about things... Sure, there are a few Type-A personalities, but even they come here for some peace of mind, not to go nuts. It's all good. If you don't like to decondition your muscles for the sake of faster growth, that's ok. 99.9% of lifters don't do it. They are happy banging away at it day after day just as long as they can at least keep what they've got, their fine.

I think you already understood why a person would want to incorporate SD into their training, you just didn't like the thought of it. I'm not trying to tell you what you're thinking or anything, I am just speculating from your posts.

Here is a picture (reference from the HST book) that explains why we SD. In these cells, a sustained mechanical stress leads to assembly of two distinct structures: contractile elements containing actin filaments that create an opposing force and an elastic network that resists subsequent application of the external stress. As the stress is transmitted to the newly formed three-dimensional cytoskeleton, it is directed away from the plasma membrane, and the deformation of membrane elements near the site of force is now insufficient to activate Ca2+ influx. (Janmey PA. The cytoskeleton and cell signaling: component localization and mechanical coupling. Physiol Rev. 1998 Jul;78(3):763-81.)
jnp.jy06f2.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bryan Haycock @ Aug. 04 2003,4:26)]In these cells, a sustained mechanical stress leads to assembly of two distinct structures: contractile elements containing actin filaments that create an opposing force and an elastic network that resists subsequent application of the external stress. As the stress is transmitted to the newly formed three-dimensional cytoskeleton, it is directed away from the plasma membrane, and the deformation of membrane elements near the site of force is now insufficient to activate Ca2+ influx. (Janmey PA. The cytoskeleton and cell signaling: component localization and mechanical coupling. Physiol Rev. 1998 Jul;78(3):763-81.)
once this happens, satellite cell activity drops considerably. This is when you stop growing... I mean, you get bigger over time, but it is nothing like when you first started. So, we dicondition in order to try to "undo" this adaptive response to loading. Sure, SD isn't perfect, but it works.

I'm only bumping this because so many people have questions about SD. It would be good if as many people saw this as possible.

How to SD:

Materials:

1 Couch or Leather Chair
1 TV or Computer
1 Bed

Optional:

1 Cat
Stockpile of Food

Step 1:

Sit on couch, watch TV
or

Sit in Chair, play computer games, post on this message board.

Step 2:

Walk to Fridge, eat something

Step 3:

Get into bed, sleep

Optional steps include:

Going out to eat
Going out to club
Movies

Do each step for 9-16 days.

Back