HST, Arthur Jones, 20 Rep Squats Oh My!

Oh man, this has totally gotten out of hand.

Redrooster,

Arthur Jones was a great man. Believe me when I say I was depressed for two days after I learned of his death. If I had known earlier that he lived in Florida I would have pressed for a visit with him because I have family in that area. Jones brought my weightlifting up by a quantum leap and, more importantly, he helped teach me how to think and to question the status quo.

Many of his ideas are correct and many of them are not. Jones' thinking, structured though it was, was a structure of pseudo-science. He often explained exercise much like you have here, using general, abstract statements and metaphors using terms like "alarm bells" and "negative stress." In the 1970's, this kind of thinking was lightyears ahead of what most bodybuilders thought and preached when it came to lifting. That is the historical significance of HIT and Arthur Jones. If you study the history of science you will find many ideas and beliefs that in their time were taken as legit but in today's time are antiquated and in some instances, outright ridiculous. For example, physicists once believed that heat was a fluid that could flow through an object. Thanks to Lord Calorie, we now have a different conception of heat and heat transfer. Another example would be phrenology - the study of how a person's head shape influences things like temperment, intelligence, creativity, etc. At one time you could get a PhD in phrenology from Harvard. Nowadays of course, the idea is laughable. Most people have never heard of phrenology because some time ago, now mostly forgotten, phrenology was proven to be bunk. It didn't happen overnight to be sure. Many many people had invested themselves into phrenology, and many many people had likewise invested themselves into the belief that heat is a fluid. Those people did not let go of their beliefs willingly. That's how it always goes, people being people.

If you wish to take your understanding up a notch you will have to let go of hearsay and pseudo-science and begin thinking in terms of empirical evidence and scientific rigor. That is how most of this forum thinks about exercise and that is what sets it apart. Some of the members are busting your chops for making the claims that you have. I wish it weren't so rough, because you can't successfully interact with someone by attacking them. You've worked to support your claim with evidence - studies in this case, and I think you should be commended for that. Welcome to the demands of HST thinking.

I for one hope you can prove that breathing squats entail a full body hypertrophic response. I am always looking for ways to get bigger.

I tend to agree here both AJ and VG used lots of pseudo-science and we definitely need to get to the bottom of this by using proper science.
wink.gif

Well, a lot has been said since the start of this thread but we are starting to clutch at straws if we don't get empirical proof of our arguments.

RR - you'll ruffle a lot of feathers by using AJ as an argumentative starting point
biggrin.gif
kind of reminds me of the DOMS threads we had going here, and the J-reps, Blow reps, X-reps, darn a whole lot of pseudo science once again.

As for breathing squats...darn...we have enough trouble getting through a set of 15's for crying out loud, and since it is not for the purpose of causing hypertrophy why bother
wow.gif
muscles respond to stimuli via increased loads over time, that is I think the bottom line.
wink.gif

All we need now is for the Real Deal to come back. I'm no labcoat, but I am still wondering how Squats let your body "leak" out hormones for successive exercises to take advantage of. There has been a lot of studies thrown back in forth, but RR's haven't come out on top. I for one agree with the sentiments of Quantum and Fausto. RR, you are no Real Deal, so do not be discouraged by such a debate!
laugh.gif

I'm not going to get into the debate but I will post up relevant reviews that if RR wishes I will email him (or anyone else for that matter) to help along his/their understanding.

Journal of Endocrinology (2006) 191, 349–360
Solomon, A.M.
Modifying muscle mass – the endocrine perspective

Br. J. Sports Med. 2003;37;100-105
M J Rennie
Claims for the anabolic effects of growth hormone: a case of the Emperor’s new clothes?

J Appl Physiol 93: 1159-1167, 2002
Gregory R. Adams
Exercise Effects on Muscle Insulin Signaling and Action
Invited Review: Autocrine/paracrine IGF-I and skeletal muscle adaptation

Journal of Endocrinology (2005) 186, 21-31
Yue Chen
Androgen regulation of satellite cell function

Endocrine Reviews Vol. 17, No. 5
JAMES R. FLORINI
Growth Hormone and the Insulin-Like Growth Factor System in Myogenesis

Wow Dan, that just totally blew my mind. Especially that last article. It looks like GH could potentially stimulate satellite cells in skeletal muscle by signaling the liver to release IGFs. The article though, continues on and on about how IGFs can be supressed and how their uptake can be affected by so many things. Its mind boggling, even for an economist
biggrin.gif

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Jan. 15 2008,13:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wow Dan, that just totally blew my mind. Especially that last article. It looks like GH could potentially stimulate satellite cells in skeletal muscle by signaling the liver to release IGFs. The article though, continues on and on about how IGFs can be supressed and how their uptake can be affected by so many things. Its mind boggling, even for an economist
biggrin.gif
</div>
For those of you that were interested:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Growth hormone and the insulin-like growth factor system in myogenesis

JR Florini, DZ Ewton and SA Coolican
Biology Department, Syracuse University, New York 13244, USA.

It is very clear that the GH-IGF axis plays a major role in controlling the growth and differentiation of skeletal muscles, as it does virtually all of the tissues in the animal body. One aspect of this control is unquestioned: circulating GH acts on the liver to stimulate expression of the IGF-I and IGFBP3 genes, substantially increasing the levels of these proteins in the circulation. It also seems that GH stimulates expression of IGF-I genes in skeletal muscle, although there are a number of cases in which skeletal muscle IGF-I expression is elevated in the absence of GH. It is substantially less clear that GH acts directly on skeletal muscle to stimulate its growth; the presence of GH receptor mRNA in skeletal muscle is well established, but most investigators have been unsuccessful in demonstrating any specific binding of GH to skeletal muscle or to myoblasts in culture. It has been equally difficult to show direct actions of GH on cultured muscle cells; the only positive report concludes that the early insulin-like effects of GH can result from direct interactions between GH and isolated muscle cells. The effects of the IGFs on skeletal muscle are much clearer. It is well established by studies in a number of laboratories on a variety of systems that IGFs stimulate many anabolic responses in myoblasts, as they do in other cell types. IGFs have the unusual property of stimulating both proliferation and differentiation of myoblasts, responses that are generally believed to be mutually exclusive; in myoblasts, they are in fact temporally separated. The stimulation of differentiation by IGF-I is (at least in part) a result of substantially increased levels of the mRNA for myogenin, the member of the MyoD family most directly associated with terminal myogenesis. As levels of myogenin mRNA rise, those of myf-5 mRNA (the only other member of the MyoD family expressed significantly in L6 myoblasts) fall dramatically, although myf-5 expression is required for the initial elevation of myogenin. The effects of IGFs are significantly modulated by IGFBPs secreted by myoblasts in serum-free medium, inhibitory IG- FBPs-4 and -6 are expressed and secreted by L6A1 myoblasts, while expression of IGFBP-5 rises dramatically as differentiation proceeds. Other myoblasts also secrete IGFBP-2. Even if exogenous IGFs are not added to the low-serum &quot;differentiation&quot; medium, myoblasts express sufficient amounts of autocrine IGF-II to stimulate myogenesis after a period of time; some myogenic cell lines, (such as Sol 8) are so active in expressing the IGF-II gene that it is not possible to demonstrate effects of exogenous IGFs. This autocrine expression of IGFs is by no means unique to skeletal muscle cells; indeed, it is so widely seen in cells responding to mitogenic stimuli that we suggest that IGFs can be viewed as extracellular second messengers that mediate most, if not all, such actions of agents that stimulate cell proliferation. The component of serum that suppresses IGF-II gene expression under &quot;growth&quot; conditions appears to be the IGFs themselves, which exhibit a very high potency in the feedback inhibition of IGF-II expression. In addition, IGFs have effects on the expression of other genes related to differentiation. Treatment of L6A1 cell with IGFs suppresses their expression of the myogenesis-inhibiting TGF beta s with a time course consistent with an initial proliferative step followed by differentiation, i.e. expression is first increased and then very substantially decreased. It is not established that this plays a role in control of differentiation, but experiments with FGF antisense constructs suggests that this may well be the case. Until recently, IGFs were the only circulating agents known to stimulate myoblast differentiation, in contrast to the relatively large number of growth factors that inhibit the process. It is now clear that thyroid hormones and RA also stimulate myogenesis, and that IL-15 enhances the stimulatory eff </div>

Ah, but Colby, don't forget these passages of the article:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Growth hormone and the insulin-like growth factor system in myogenesis

JR Florini, DZ Ewton and SA Coolican
Biology Department, Syracuse University, New York 13244, USA.

It is very clear that the GH-IGF axis plays a major role in controlling the growth and differentiation of skeletal muscles, as it does virtually all of the tissues in the animal body. One aspect of this control is unquestioned: circulating GH acts on the liver to stimulate expression of the IGF-I and IGFBP3 genes, substantially increasing the levels of these proteins in the circulation. It also seems that GH stimulates expression of IGF-I genes in skeletal muscle, although there are a number of cases in which skeletal muscle IGF-I expression is elevated in the absence of GH. It is substantially less clear that GH acts directly on skeletal muscle to stimulate its growth; the presence of GH receptor mRNA in skeletal muscle is well established, but most investigators have been unsuccessful in demonstrating any specific binding of GH to skeletal muscle or to myoblasts in culture. It has been equally difficult to show direct actions of GH on cultured muscle cells; the only positive report concludes that the early insulin-like effects of GH can result from direct interactions between GH and isolated muscle cells. The effects of the IGFs on skeletal muscle are much clearer. It is well established by studies in a number of laboratories on a variety of systems that IGFs stimulate many anabolic responses in myoblasts, as they do in other cell types. IGFs have the unusual property of stimulating both proliferation and differentiation of myoblasts, responses that are generally believed to be mutually exclusive; in myoblasts, they are in fact temporally separated. The stimulation of differentiation by IGF-I is (at least in part) a result of substantially increased levels of the mRNA for myogenin, the member of the MyoD family most directly associated with terminal myogenesis. As levels of myogenin mRNA rise, those of myf-5 mRNA (the only other member of the MyoD family expressed significantly in L6 myoblasts) fall dramatically, although myf-5 expression is required for the initial elevation of myogenin. The effects of IGFs are significantly modulated by IGFBPs secreted by myoblasts in serum-free medium, inhibitory IG- FBPs-4 and -6 are expressed and secreted by L6A1 myoblasts, while expression of IGFBP-5 rises dramatically as differentiation proceeds. Other myoblasts also secrete IGFBP-2. Even if exogenous IGFs are not added to the low-serum &quot;differentiation&quot; medium, myoblasts express sufficient amounts of autocrine IGF-II to stimulate myogenesis after a period of time; some myogenic cell lines, (such as Sol 8) are so active in expressing the IGF-II gene that it is not possible to demonstrate effects of exogenous IGFs. This autocrine expression of IGFs is by no means unique to skeletal muscle cells; indeed, it is so widely seen in cells responding to mitogenic stimuli that we suggest that IGFs can be viewed as extracellular second messengers that mediate most, if not all, such actions of agents that stimulate cell proliferation. The component of serum that suppresses IGF-II gene expression under &quot;growth&quot; conditions appears to be the IGFs themselves, which exhibit a very high potency in the feedback inhibition of IGF-II expression. In addition, IGFs have effects on the expression of other genes related to differentiation. Treatment of L6A1 cell with IGFs suppresses their expression of the myogenesis-inhibiting TGF beta s with a time course consistent with an initial proliferative step followed by differentiation, i.e. expression is first increased and then very substantially decreased. It is not established that this plays a role in control of differentiation, but experiments with FGF antisense constructs suggests that this may well be the case. Until recently, IGFs were the only circulating agents known to stimulate myoblast differentiation, in contrast to the relatively large number of growth factors that inhibit the process. It is now clear that thyroid hormones and RA also stimulate myogenesis, and that IL-15 enhances the stimulatory eff</div>

QP, what exactly can we conclude from this study?

To the OP, RedRooster, if GH is triggered from an exercise such as Squats at 20 reps, then why not at some other major compound exercise such as Bench Press or Rows? Why 20 reps?

Forgive me for my innocent curiosity!
blush.gif

If I recall, the document in question is a review, not a study. What it states without question is what it states without question: GH does not appear to directly influence muscle anabolism, but it does 1: influence IGF-1 receptivity of the muscle, and 2: stimulates the liver to release IGF-1 and IGF related compounds. The review goes on to state, with great clarity, that IGF does affect myoblast anabolism positively and significantly. That is all I can make out of the article with what I know at present. The question before us is whether this ultimately leads to a hypertrophic effect in other muscle tissues. Judging from what I have read, I conclude that the answer to the question is: Maybe. My reasoning is that IGF released by the liver is able to be taken in by any tissue capable of receiving it, quads or otherwise.

Lets put Arthur Jones to rest here.

I greatly admire his mind and his contribtution tot he science of the Iron Game. Arthur was in the iron Game but not of the Iron Game. he was by all accounts a maverick. He made more money than God with his Nautilus machines, having private planes (he was a pilot also) from Cessnas to a Boeing 747(?). He had the largest private reptile farm in the world. He was no ones fool and unashamedly chased younger women. He was my kind of guy.

Having said that I really believe most of his protocols for lifting are quite congruent with what has been laid out as HST priciples.

The foremost and glaring difference is the way in which load is applied. Artur had it wrong, and I believe HST has it right.

Enough said on AJ.

As for the rest of the discussion I hope that we have all learned something along the way here, although contentious at times these types of discussions help keep up sharp and clarify truth. Im not sure that has happened here but hopefully we have all learned a little about something.

My only point I am interested in continuing to pursue is that hormonal response accelerates growth.

This should be obvious. As Ive pointed out, if you took twins and had them do the same HST workout, one with steroids ( an artificial hormone) and one without, the steroid trainee will gain better with all else being equal, whether there are studies to prove this or not. This is due to the anabolic terrain established by the rising levels of hormones.

The same thing would happen if one twin was male and one was female. The hormonal terrain would be the difference.

Since we have seen from the brief study outline I posted 7 sets of 7 reps of relatively heavy squats produce both GH and testosterone we need only to put 2 and 2 together to figure this aspect of the equation.

Heavy leg work = positive hormonal response

Positive hormonal response accelerates growth potential.

Hormonal response to excercise is both local and systemic. Studies indicate new brain cells are manufactured via hormonal response to excecise. This is systemic growth. Casey Viators arms growing from heavy squating is systemic growth. Older folks who recieve GH injections and see improvements in musclular growth and muscle to fat ratios without working out are seeing systemic growth.

Systemic growth also can happen during a training layoff. How many here have stopped trainjng for a week or two (SD) and came back stronger, yet there was NO load applied.  

The flip side is equally true. You can overtrain your bicep and you can overtrain your body. I would rather overtrain my bicep. The systemic response to your body overtraining takes along time to get over.

Just to be clear, I am not saying that this takes the place of any HST principle, I am saying this adds value. In fact the way the vanilla program is set up allows for this as it works legs first.  Whether this is intentional or whether Brian accidentally put legs first is irrelevant to the effacacy of this excercise order.

As pointed out to me numerous times on the 6x6 HST thread, HST is a starting point of principles. Max Stim flows from these priciples for example. But the studies cited in the articles section are not all inclusive. There is a great deal of intellectual wealth to be discovered outside of this website.  

NOTE: THESE ARE ABSTRACTS BUT COVER ALL THAT IS NEEDED. I HOPE.

Robert R. Kraemer1 , Daniel B. Hollander1, Greg V. Reeves1, Michelle Francois3, Zaid G. Ramadan1, Bonnie Meeker3, James L. Tryniecki1, E. P. Hebert1 and V. Daniel Castracane2, 4

(1)  Department of Kinesiology and Health Studies, Southeastern Louisiana University, SLU 10845, Hammond, LA 70402, USA
(2)  Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Amarillo, TX 79106, USA
(3)  Department of Nursing, Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, LA 70402, USA
(4)  Present address: Foundation for Blood Research, Scarborough, ME 04070, USA

Accepted: 27 October 2005  Published online: 21 December 2005

Abstract  Conventional resistance exercise is performed using sequential concentric (CON) and eccentric (ECC) contractions, utilizing the same muscle load. Thus, relative to maximal CON and ECC resistance, the ECC contraction is loaded to a lesser degree. We have recently shown that at the same absolute load, CON contractions are associated with greater growth hormone (GH) but similar total testosterone (TT) and free testosterone (FT) responses compared with ECC contractions and attributed the larger GH response to greater relative CON loading. In the present study, we have examined the same endocrine parameters to six different upper and lower body exercises using relative loading rather than absolute loading, hypothesizing that GH responses would be similar for CON and ECC actions, but TT and FT responses would be greater after ECC contractions. Seven young men with recreational weight training experience completed an ECC and CON muscle contraction trial on two different occasions in a counterbalanced fashion. The exercises consisted of four sets of 10 repetitions of lat pull-down, leg press, bench press, leg extension, military press, and leg curl exercises at 65% of an ECC or CON 1–RM with 90 s between sets and exercises. CON and ECC actions were performed at the same speed. ECC 1-RMs were considered to be 120% of the CON 1-RM for the same exercise. Blood samples were collected before, immediately after, and 15 min after the exercise. GH significantly increased across both trials but was not different between the two trials. Total testosterone was not significantly altered in response to either trial; however, free testosterone concentrations increased in response to both ECC and CON trials. Data suggest that CON and ECC muscle contractions produce similar GH, T, and free testosterone responses with the same relative loading.
Keywords  Growth hormone - Testosterone - Free testosterone - Muscle contraction

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------

THIS ONE POINTS OUT WHAT I WAS SAYING ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN INTENSITY OF EXCERCISE BEING PROPORTIONATE TO GH RELEASE.

Leslie A. Consitt1, 2 , Richard J. Bloomer1, 3 and Laurie Wideman1

(1)  Department of Exercise and Sport Science, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC 27402-6169, USA
(2)  Human Performance Laboratory and Department of Exercise and Sport Science, East Carolina University, 363 Ward Sports Medicine Building, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
(3)  Present address: Department of Health and Sport Sciences, The University of Memphis, Memphis, TN 38152-3480, USA

Accepted: 15 February 2007  Published online: 15 March 2007

Abstract  The purpose of this study was to compare the growth hormone (GH) response, including the immunfunctional (IF) GH response, between an acute bout of aerobic and resistance exercise in the same subjects. Ten cross-trained males (24.3 ± 1.2 years) performed both 30 min of continuous cycling at 70% of VO2max, and intermittent free weight squatting at 70% of 1-RM, in a randomly assigned crossover design, separated by at least 1 week. Blood samples were collected at 10-min intervals for 2 h (30 min rest, 30 min exercise, 60 min recovery) and analyzed for total human and IF GH. After adjusting for the amount of work performed per minute of exercise, integrated GH AUC was significantly greater during the resistance session than the aerobic session as measured by both the total and IF GH assays (P = 0.008 and P = 0.014, respectively). Peak GH concentrations were significantly greater during the resistance session than the aerobic session (P = 0.05). A similar overall GH pattern was observed in response to both types of exercise, with peak values occurring at the end of exercise, regardless of the GH assay used. These data demonstrate that in young, cross-trained males, intermittent resistance exercise elicits a greater response of GH, including IF GH, compared to a continuous aerobic session, when controlling for the work performed per minute, intersubject variability, relative exercise intensity and session duration.
Keywords  Aerobic exercise - Resistance exercise - Growth

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------THE FIRST ONE I POSTED AGAIN. NOTE THE LAST LINE WHICH HELPS US UNDRSTAND WHY THE BREATHING ASPECT OF SQUATING MAY BE IMPORTANT.

W. P. VanHelder1, 2, K. Casey1, 2 and M. W. Radomski1, 2

(1)  Department of Physiology, and the School of Physical and Health Education, University of Toronto, Canada
(2)  Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Downsview, P. O. Box 2000, M3M 3B9, Ontario, Canada

Accepted: 22 May 1987  

Summary  Five normal men performed seven sets of seven squats at a load equal to 80% of their seven repetition maximum. Plasma growth hormone (GH) and lactate levels increased during and after the completion of the exercise. A significant (r=0.93, P&lt;0.001) linear correlation was found between GH changes and the corresponding oxygen Demand/Availability (D/A) ratio expressed by  (where f=[lactate at time x]/[lactate at time 0]). A retrospective examination of previously published data from our laboratory and others also demonstrated the existence of a significant correlation between changes in plasma GH levels and the D/A ratios over a wide variety of exercise; aerobic and anaerobic, continuous and intermittent, weight lifting and cycling, in both fit and unfit subjects under normoxic and hypoxic conditions. It is suggested that the balance between oxygen demand and availability may be an important regulator of GH secretion during exercise.

--------------------------------------

Another on work vs power in hgh relaese

The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 270–275.

Growth Hormone Release Following Single Versus Multiple Sets of Back Squats: Total Work Versus Power
Bruce W. Craig

Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana 47306

Ho-Youl Kang

Department of Physical Education, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas 78703

ABSTRACT

-->Human growth hormone (hGH) is required for normal development, but its role in exercise-induced muscle hypertrophy is not well characterized. The purpose of this study was to determine how total work and mean power affect hGH secretion. Male weight trainers with more than 2 yrs experience in the half squat performed three half-squat exercise trials: one set at 75% 1-RM, one set at 90% 1-RM, and a progressive routine of 75% and 90% sets. The latter dealt with total work by allowing the subjects to lift at their own pace until volitional fatigue, with loads and rest periods controlled. The single-set protocol dealt with power output; the subjects performed as many lifts as possible in 15 sec, using the same workloads as in the progressive routine. Immediate postexercise blood levels of hGH were significantly elevated in the progressive protocol, but not in the single-set protocol, regardless of exercise intensity employed. It was found that the progressive workout involved significantly more work whereas the single bouts were more power oriented. The results demonstrate that total work during exercise is a more important component of hGH release than the amount of power generated

Im tired of cutting and pasting now, thers a ton of this out there. Most of these studies are looking at the relationship of types of excercise or length of excercise etc.. on GH release, not whether it is released or not because this has already been established decades ago.

It has occured to me while reading this that the effecacy of the 20 rep breathing squat and Max Stim, as I understand it , may be at least partially due extending the set and making it more of a progressive stimulant than merely one set of traditinal reps ever could.

It may also explain the effecacy of Girondas wayof doing 6x6 with 15 seconds between sets and forced breathing during that 15 seconds, this method also closely mirrors the tabata protocol of 20 seconds on 10 seconds off.

VERY Interesting....

Its good reading all.

RR

Great. I am still not convinced that 20 rep breathing squats will boost overall hypertrophy, or that working back and legs first will. That is the original argument by redrooster. Which is a crock of doody imo.
I work back and legs first because they are big muscle groups that require a lot of energy, thats the only reason.

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Jan. 15 2008,16:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If I recall, the document in question is a review, not a study.  What it states without question is what it states without question:  GH does not appear to directly influence muscle anabolism, but it does 1: influence IGF-1 receptivity of the muscle, and 2: stimulates the liver to release IGF-1 and IGF related compounds.  The review goes on to state, with great clarity, that IGF does affect myoblast anabolism positively and significantly.  That is all I can make out of the article with what I know at present.  The question before us is whether this ultimately leads to a hypertrophic effect in other muscle tissues.  Judging from what I have read, I conclude that the answer to the question is:  Maybe.  My reasoning is that IGF released by the liver is able to be taken in by any tissue capable of receiving it, quads or otherwise.</div>
I believe your quite correct, which is why I said earlier:

Having said that I do believe the carry over effect is limited due to the following.

Logically we would see the following IF the subject did a set of 20 rep breathing squats ( adequate to set off growth factors), a set of curls, and had lets say a strained rotator cuff.

Most of the hormonal and other healing elements would address the directly worked areas in order of most need.
The squat would induce the most serious need in the body, not only would the glutes, quads etc.. be the most affected by the excercise but they are also the most needy in terms of survival, the body distinctly reacts to survival type situation first and foremost.

Then, next,the directly stimulated arms would be addressed as they had been most recently injured.

Third would be the rotator cuffs and  the rest of the body where percieved injury exists.

Finally the rest of the body.

The body will deal with the most threatening injuries first then on to the least. How much of this scenario that actaully would come to fruition would be dependant on how much growth factors are available in the system. How much GH and testostrone in the system, how much nutrients, how much electrical energy etc....  

This conclusion is from my study of naturopathic medicine and eastern medical traditions and holds true universally. If you look at any scenario that deals with the body you must consider its affect in relation survival systems which are hard wired.

What we should draw from this is NOT more progressive stimulation is better, because we then run into overtraining, another hard wired adaptation response. We must seek to do what is needed to stimulate growth and no more !!

Jones used to make the analogy that if your hunting why would you continue to shoot your prey after youve already killed it?

RR

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 15 2008,14:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">QP, what exactly can we conclude from this study?

To the OP, RedRooster, if GH is triggered from an exercise such as Squats at 20 reps, then why not at some other major compound exercise such as Bench Press or Rows?  Why 20 reps?

Forgive me for my innocent curiosity!
blush.gif
</div>
Benches and lat pulldowns would evoke a response to a lesser degree as stated by the priciples stated in the studies I posted.

The bottom line here is that smaller muscles illicit a smaller hormonal response.

The 20 rep squat as prescibed by itschampions back in the day were unbelievably grueling.

Stack a bar with the weight you would normallly do as your 10rm max.

After a few reps take 3 deeps breathes, you wont need them now but you will. As you progess the reps become less and less fun. Getting past ten is hell but you take your time between reps with the bar on your back and breathe like a frieght train, at this point you wont have a choice. Getting to 20 is ana dventure in pain and discipline- 20 or puke, those are your options.

As we learned from the studies progressive set produce a greater gh response, this 20 rep breathing squat will fit that bill. When your done you will have wished you would have done many sets of 10. I can remember a set taking 5 minutes. Heres your heavy weight , TUT, and oxygen to availabilty maxed, maximizing the GH response, also cited in the study.

Its a bitch.and i believe excessive. I dreaded doing them, but boy did you grow for awhile!. In my mind the load was not properly administered and wold be much betterover the course of a cycle if the HST load progression was used, working up to your 10rm at the end of you first two weeks or however youve configured your cycle.

Its the difference between maximal stimulatation ( not max Stim)vs. optimal stimulation.

To address your unasked question Colby, I wouldnt worry about doing 20 reps on my benches etc , unless you doing a Max Stim protocol W/O.

Less is beter when youve already got the hormones flowing. Just do enough to signal injury in the muscle and get out of the gym, anything more is counter productive in terms of possible overtraining.

When the Gh is flowing you get a bump in testosterone by bolstering gonadotropins, which suppresses cortisol. If you overtrain this is ALL lost.

RR

<div>
(redrooster @ Jan. 14 2008,21:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">WHATEVER YOUR DOING TOTENTANZ KEEP IT UP, BUT TRYTO KEEP AN OPEN MIND. HST GOT HERE BY PIONEERS WHO THOUGHT OUTSIDE THE BOX!</div>
I do have an open mind, however, I also use critical thinking. You are the one who might want to take your own advice - you need to be continually open to new ideas and to reexamining old ideas, discarding them when new evidence shows that they are not correct.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Jan. 15 2008,16:51)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Great.  I am still not convinced that 20 rep breathing squats will boost overall hypertrophy, or that working back and legs first will.  That is the original argument by redrooster.  Which is a crock of doody imo.
I work back and legs first because they are big muscle groups that require a lot of energy, thats the only reason.</div>
It doesnt matter what you believe, it appears as though youve reaped the benefits.

Your a true believer bro. Facts arent relevant
smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_True_Believer

Keep up the good work!

RR

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jan. 15 2008,17:27)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(redrooster @ Jan. 14 2008,21:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">WHATEVER YOUR DOING TOTENTANZ KEEP IT UP, BUT TRYTO KEEP AN OPEN MIND. HST GOT HERE BY PIONEERS WHO THOUGHT OUTSIDE THE BOX!</div>
I do have an open mind, however, I also use critical thinking.  You are the one who might want to take your own advice - you need to be continually open to new ideas and to reexamining old ideas, discarding them when new evidence shows that they are not correct.</div>
Apparently you didnt read the studies.

I like reading the studies but lets face facts, this thing welove known as HST is merely a set of priciples that has been proven true in GYMS far longer and better than in studies at universities.

The old school pre steroid guys knew how to illicit growth naturally by manipulating progressive overload and by optimizing the hormonal terrain. i dont know why this fact is such a hard pill to swallow.

I do NOT have all the answers. NEVER claimed to, but i do have an analytrical mind and years of studying the iron game under my belt.

I am currently FAT. I am currently researching not just hypertrophy but fat burning protocols as well. Tabata principles are interesting to me in this regard. It is new to me, but the more I read it, the more I recognize what was old is new again under a differnt name and perhaps a better technical way of administering the excercise.

Im still studying with an openmind, are you?

RR

I'm still onto the idea that breathing squats could. As I mentioned earlier, breathing squats are a kind of exercise I have seen called breathing ladders. The idea is the same: do a lift with enough weight and repetition to cause an oxygen debt. Breathing ladders are a typical exercise in some athletic circles. And squats are a good candidate for breathing ladder work because the legs, being so very large, use up lots of oxygen.

Redrooster has posted an article, which I have verified (http://www.springerlink.com/content/u38415t148656m12/) demonstrating that oxygen debt, or more scientifically speaking, oxygen demand to oxygen supply ratio, is an important factor in GH secretion. I have it from other articles I have read that lactic acid and workload are also factors in secreting GH. So here we have a direct link between breathing squats and plasma GH secretion.

The next step is to look for a link between plasma GH secretion and muscle anabolism. The last article in Dan Moore's post clearly states that GH secretion leads directly to plasma IGF and IGFPB secretion by the liver. Moreover these compounds have an undeniable positive effect on myoblast (satellite cell) proliferation and differentiation - required steps for muscle hypertrophy. This article by HST founder Bryan Haycock (http://www.mesomorphosis.com/steroid-profiles/human-growth-hormone.htm) explains two established theories of how GH can affect muscle tissues: the Somatomedin hypothesis and the Dual Effector theory. It also states, in big bold type, that directly injecting IGF-1 into a muscle will cause it to grow.

I have not yet read enough to conclude for my own purposes that breathing squats are a way to cause accelerated muscle growth via endocrine response, but I have read enough to reasonably think its possible, and to continue reading about the topic to hopefully conclude one way or the other.

Back