HST, Arthur Jones, 20 Rep Squats Oh My!

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 17 2008,00:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ooooh, highjack time...
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He had told me once that his arms were so strong that he had a hard time stimulaing his chest and back with pushing and pulling excercises.</div>
I wonder if that's the reason for my small chest and big Pendlay's? I often do skulls at 130+lbs. and am rowing 315...but my bench has usually been weak until lately. I may need some pec iso's added in, as soon as some of my other questions are answered.</div>
It doesn't make sense to me Quad. If your arms are strong you will be able to use more weight for pushing and pulling work and therefore you will be stressing your back, chest and shoulders more.

Take bench, for example: if you have strong triceps, you will be more likely to be able to lock out your elbows at the top of the lift where the tris are more heavily involved. Your pecs and anterior delts are working hard the whole time but particularly during the lower half of the movement. If you are able to lock out a heavier weight because your tris are strong then your pecs and delts are also handling a heavier weight in the range where they are working hardest.

As it is often the arms that reduce the amount of weight that can be handled for upper-body exercises, having strong arms can only be a good thing if you want to get the best out of your upper-body compounds.

If my memory serves me correctly, you can bench about the same as you can row. That sounds like a pretty good balance to me.

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 16 2008,10:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 17 2008,00:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ooooh, highjack time...
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">He had told me once that his arms were so strong that he had a hard time stimulaing his chest and back with pushing and pulling excercises.</div>
I wonder if that's the reason for my small chest and big Pendlay's? I often do skulls at 130+lbs. and am rowing 315...but my bench has usually been weak until lately. I may need some pec iso's added in, as soon as some of my other questions are answered.</div>
It doesn't make sense to me Quad. If your arms are strong you will be able to use more weight for pushing and pulling work and therefore you will be stressing your back, chest and shoulders more.

Take bench, for example: if you have strong triceps, you will be more likely to be able to lock out your elbows at the top of the lift where the tris are more heavily involved. Your pecs and anterior delts are working hard the whole time but particularly during the lower half of the movement. If you are able to lock out a heavier weight because your tris are strong then your pecs and delts are also handling a heavier weight in the range where they are working hardest.

As it is often the arms that reduce the amount of weight that can be handled for upper-body exercises, having strong arms can only be a good thing if you want to get the best out of your upper-body compounds.

If my memory serves me correctly, you can bench about the same as you can row. That sounds like a pretty good balance to me.</div>
Quad why not try a cycle of chest flys and not bench press at all.

Don't get me wrong compounds are the best for overall growth but it sounds to be like you are having a problem isolating the pecs.

I would suggest maybe 2 things.

A cycle of flys only routine, were you increase the weight when you can (or better yet progressively increase the work each workout).

It will be harder to increase weight every workout with fly's but it may play to your advantage.

I am thinking maybe use a little more volume than normal for chest and increase work as often as possible by either at increasing poundages or increasing sets.

I don't think the addes volume in the one isolation exercise will hurt your CNS.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2004 May;36(5):787-93.

Resistance training alters plasma myostatin but not IGF-1 in healthy men.

Walker KS, Kambadur R, Sharma M, Smith HK.
Department of Sport and Exercise Science, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.

PURPOSE: We determined and compared the magnitude of changes in resting plasma myostatin and IGF-1, muscle strength, and size in response to whole body or local muscle resistance training in healthy men. METHODS: Volunteers performed high-intensity resistance exercise of major muscle groups of the whole body (N = 11), or of the elbow flexors only (N = 6), twice per week for 10 wk. Strength was assessed by elbow flexor one-repetition maximum (1-RM) and repetitions at 80% of 1-RM, muscle cross-sectional area by MRI, and plasma IGF-1 by RIA and myostatin by Western analyses, before and after the training program. RESULTS: In subjects of both groups, elbow flexor 1-RM and cross-sectional area increased (P = 0.05) by 30 +/- 8% (mean +/- SD) and 12 +/- 4%, respectively. Individual changes in myostatin ranged from 5.9 to -56.9%, with a mean decrease of 20 +/- 16%, whereas IGF-1 did not change from pre- to posttraining. There were no significant differences in any of the responses of the subjects between the two training programs. CONCLUSION: Myostatin may play a role in exercise-induced increases in muscle size, its circulating levels decreasing with resistance training in healthy men. Exercise of the whole body versus the elbow flexors alone did not provide a supplementary stimulus in altering resting plasma IGF-1 or myostatin, or in increasing muscle strength or size. Thus, by default, growth factor responses local to the muscle may be more important than circulating factors in contributing to muscle hypertrophy with resistance training.
PMID: 15126711 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Br J Sports Med. 2003 Apr;37(2):100-5.

Claims for the anabolic effects of growth hormone: a case of the emperor's new clothes?

Rennie MJ.
Faculty of Life Sciences, Old Medical School, University of Dundee, Scotland, UK.

This review examines the evidence that growth hormone has metabolic effects in adult human beings. The conclusion is that growth hormone does indeed have powerful effects on fat and carbohydrate metabolism, and in particular promotes the metabolic use of adipose tissue triacylglycerol. However, there is no proof that net protein retention is promoted in adults, except possibly of connective tissue. The overexaggeration of the effects of growth hormone in muscle building is effectively promoting its abuse and thereby encouraging athletes and elderly men to expose themselves to increased risk of disease for little benefit.
PMID: 12663349 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Appl Physiol. 1993 Jun;74(6):3073-6.

Short-term growth hormone treatment does not increase muscle protein synthesis in experienced weight lifters.

Yarasheski KE, Zachweija JJ, Angelopoulos TJ, Bier DM.
Metabolism Division, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110.

The purpose of this study was to determine whether recombinant human growth hormone (GH) administration enhances muscle protein anabolism in experienced weight lifters. The fractional rate of skeletal muscle protein synthesis and the whole body rate of protein breakdown were determined during a constant intravenous infusion of [13C]leucine in 7 young (23 +/- 2 yr; 86.2 +/- 4.6 kg) healthy experienced male weight lifters before and at the end of 14 days of subcutaneous GH administration (40 microgram.kg-1 x day-1). GH administration increased fasting serum insulin-like growth factor-I (from 224 +/- 20 to 589 +/- 80 ng/ml, P = 0.002) but did not increase the fractional rate of muscle protein synthesis (from 0.034 +/- 0.004 to 0.034 +/- 0.002%/h) or reduce the rate of whole body protein breakdown (from 103 +/- 4 to 108 +/- 5 mumol.kg-1 x h-1). These findings suggest that short-term GH treatment does not increase the rate of muscle protein synthesis or reduce the rate of whole body protein breakdown, metabolic alterations that would promote muscle protein anabolism in experienced weight lifters attempting to further increase muscle mass.

PMID: 8366011 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am J Physiol. 1992 Mar;262(3 Pt 1):E261-7.

Effect of growth hormone and resistance exercise on muscle growth in young men.

Yarasheski KE, Campbell JA, Smith K, Rennie MJ, Holloszy JO, Bier DM.
Department of Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri 63110.

The purpose of this study was to determine whether growth hormone (GH) administration enhances the muscle anabolism associated with heavy-resistance exercise. Sixteen men (21-34 yr) were assigned randomly to a resistance training plus GH group (n = 7) or to a resistance training plus placebo group (n = 9). For 12 wk, both groups trained all major muscle groups in an identical fashion while receiving 40 micrograms recombinant human GH.kg-1.day-1 or placebo. Fat-free mass (FFM) and total body water increased (P less than 0.05) in both groups but more (P less than 0.01) in the GH recipients. Whole body protein synthesis rate increased more (P less than 0.03), and whole body protein balance was greater (P = 0.01) in the GH-treated group, but quadriceps muscle protein synthesis rate, torso and limb circumferences, and muscle strength did not increase more in the GH-treated group. In the young men studied, resistance exercise with or without GH resulted in similar increments in muscle size, strength, and muscle protein synthesis, indicating that 1) the larger increase in FFM with GH treatment was probably due to an increase in lean tissue other than skeletal muscle and 2) resistance training supplemented with GH did not further enhance muscle anabolism and function.
PMID: 1550219 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Quad,

I saw an article over at T-nation where it was claimed that calve and chest size are inversely related, presumably most of the time. Entertaining this idea momentarily, what's your calve size and responsiveness like?

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Jan. 17 2008,15:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quad,

I saw an article over at T-nation where it was claimed that calve and chest size are inversely related, presumably most of the time. Entertaining this idea momentarily, what's your calve size and responsiveness like?</div>
How would calves and chest be inversely related? Bigger people have bigger calves. Bigger chest generally equates to bigger person?

<div>
(QuantumPositron @ Jan. 17 2008,15:23)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quad,

I saw an article over at T-nation where it was claimed that calve and chest size are inversely related, presumably most of the time.  Entertaining this idea momentarily, what's your calve size and responsiveness like?</div>
T-nation articles are varied quality, and the majority are garbage.  That calf/chest thing just sounds retarded.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 16 2008,23:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Joe, why remove Bench Press?  Flys' in addition to the press should be a good fix.</div>
Well you don't have to remove the bench press you could definatly leave it in the routine it just seems to me that its not working to well for him at this point.

If you did want to leave the bench press in her is what I would recommend.

Warm up extremely well in the shoulder girdle area.

Then perform one set of dumbell flys with a slow and deep stretch for say 10 reps, followed immediatly by a dumbell bench press set of say 10 reps followed immedialty by flys again for a deep stretch.

This is one giat set and should do the trick.

Vicious back when he posted 3 years or more ago recommended them to me and well it was a tough chest workout.

The only thing I didn't like about it is I never have felt comfortable with dumbell flys'. I have always preferred pec dec or cable crossovers.

but it tough to do them in giant set fashion at a popular gym unless you do the dumbell fly ( cable crossover machine is always busy)

Muscle media did report back in the day around year 2000 that some research studies showed that cable flys and crossover do not work well for growth though???

Not sure how reliable that is b/c I ton of people have had great success from them.

Anyway its all food for thought....or clear as mud!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Jan. 17 2008,11:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Lol @ Jan. 16 2008,10:26)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>

If my memory serves me correctly, you can bench about the same as you can row. That sounds like a pretty good balance to me.</div>
Quad why not try a cycle of chest flys and not bench press at all.

Don't get me wrong compounds are the best for overall growth but it sounds to be like you are having a problem isolating the pecs.

I would suggest maybe 2 things.

A cycle of flys only routine, were you increase the weight when you can (or better yet progressively increase the work each workout).

It will be harder to increase weight every workout with fly's but it may play to your advantage.

I am thinking maybe use a little more volume than normal for chest and increase work as often as possible by either at increasing poundages or increasing sets.

I don't think the addes volume in the one isolation exercise will hurt your CNS.</div>
Some good suggestions here.

The problem woth overly strong arms is that the chest or back muscle dont get proper stimulation as the arms are carrying the load, thus removing stimulus from the excercise.

Casey still prescribes the super setting stye ala Jones which is to prefatigue the chest with a isolation excercise , then go directly into a compound excercise. So do a set of flyes and immediatly go into a bench press. the chest is already fatigue by the time the bench starts and the press itself is pushing the chest beyond fatigue levels.

The problem is that you wont be hoisting as much on your bench which to me is more important,the super set is really extending a set rather than adding intensity IMO.

Theres a lot of debate about this, frankly I think this type of stimulation is uneeded and leads to overtraining.

RR

I always get a better pectoral workout using a slight decline on the bench press, less delts and less shoulder problems using a decline, really pumps up the pecs like mad too.

Joe,

I would have to laugh at someone who said pec flys and cable crossovers were not good for hypertrophy. You have a good recommendation for LOL. BTW, I miss Viscous, Blade, and many other HST vets that are no longer active here!

RR,

IMO, with proper form, the chest will be stimulated enough from the Bench Press, Pec Flys, or any other chest exercise despite the strength and size in the arms. Big arms or not, you are still pressing the barbell with your chest in the bench press. Hmm, this sounds like a good question for Mark Rippletoe!

-Colby

RR,

I am not saying I believe in pre-fatigue...there is a lot of debate about pre exhausting.

IMO im not sure if it works or not.

Secondly...Ovetraining? I seriously doubt that?

How is one going to overtrain from a giant set of isolation exercises. There are two many people worried about overtraining.

My guess is that there are many people who undertrain just as there is some that ovetrain.

And yes you will not be able to use as much load on the bench press.

But I somewhat know Quadancer b/c I have been here for a long time.

Quad has tried Max-ot and other programs such as HST and 5x5 so if he is still platued from high volume traditional routines...platued from max-ot with hurt joints and platued from HST and 5x5 it time to try something different.

Pre exhaust is not what I am recommending...what I am recommending is a good stretch movement!

I don't believe in preexhaustion either. Waste of energy that could be moving elbees. Now giant sets...I haven't considered them in a long time and I'll say why: I don't feel like I've really HIT a muscle with one set in one direction; it takes two to go deep. So we would be talking about a 6-set giant...ugh. But maybe that's exactly what I should try.
The calve / chest relation is probably bunk...I have big calves and never even work them at all. Possibly from hiking/hunting as a kid and now ladder climbing, skating and racing dirt bikes.
The pecs just never grew regardless of what I've tried except for incline db's with HST over 2-3 cycles. And that was just the upper portion.
Incidentally, there may have been some growth when on Musclenow's program by doing cable crossovers - using around 90's on each side, which is why I was thinking of building one. I can always walk up to any pec dec and do the stack. Got pulling strength, just not size. I have no idea why my bench has been so weak for most of my lifting days. I've always thought it was the shoulders. (joint problems)

What is best in life Conan?

&quot;Crush the enemy, watch him driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women&quot;

What is best in life Sci?

&quot;Crush Redrooster, watch him driven from the forum and to see the lamentations of his new friends&quot;

I have to admit Sci was under myskin before but I actually enjoy his enthusiam and vitality ( no doubt due to an outstanding hormonal terrain!).

The honest truth is these discussions help not only general learning but also for me self clarification, Ive learned some new things and rehashed things forgotten.

Now to the studies posted. I opened the door to the posts about exogenous GH. that is injected synthetic GH, when I brought up steroids making an analogy about the hormonal terrain. Injected GH is a dangerous thing as the method doesnt take into account hormones react upon each other balancing each other out. Without balance there is a breakdown in the system and thats precisely what happens when synthetic GH is administered, people get very sick and people die. The synthethic G H industry is now full of shady operators and con men. While once promising it just goes to show there is no magic pill for the fountain of youth.

So lets not waste time with these 3 studies. Im not interested in injected GH are you?

Short-term growth hormone treatment does not increase muscle protein synthesis in experienced weight lifters.

Effect of growth hormone and resistance exercise on muscle growth in young men.

Claims for the anabolic effects of growth hormone: a case of the emperor's new clothes?

That leaves this study:

Resistance training alters plasma myostatin but not IGF-1 in healthy men

I know this is going to upset Sci but this study is about IGF-1, not Growth Hormone.

IGF-1 isknown as a growth factor I believe. Its not a hormone, Its a quasi-hormone. It is the offspring from the interaction between GH and Insulin.

Having said that, it is however part of the hormonal terrain I speak of. It has its place in health and anti aging too.

This business of hormonal terrain is complex and all interconnected. In fact Gh and insulin are quite dependent on each other for their anabolic qualities, so any study on GH and hypertrophy must by its nature speak of insulin as well.

This leaves out testosterone which is a big part of the matrix as well.

But lets step back for  moment and remember what were talking about. I stated that the hormonal terrain added value to HST. It does.

Growth hormone is called GROWTH hormone for a reason, thats its function, more GH in the proper combination with the other hormones adds value to HST and to your muscle.

Heavy leg work adds GH to your sytem 10x normal amounts according to the study posted. When combined with insulin the anabolic properties are realized. Alone its results are considerably less.

So what does that mean? It means that all these things are interelated , muscle stimulation via progressive load stimulates ala HST, doing heavy leg and back work helps establish a terrain that has POTENTIAL to be be very anabolic. The realization of this potential is wrapped up when insulin enters the mix, this comes through proper nutrition and time to heal.

What is the oldest body building maxim?

Train

Eat

Rest

These are all needed to grow optimally. Optimizing is all Im talking about here. A healthy and strong hormaonal terrain helps you grow better,amongst other factors it maximizes metabolic action, making nutritional uptake better. Same amount of food will be utilized better and youll be able to eat more as well, which is always adds value.

Bottom line here is that you cant study these things effectively without understanding how they relate to each other. Reading a study, any study, that has a limited scope is working in a vacuum.

What works in the gym is the only thing that counts.

RR

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Casey still prescribes the super setting stye ala Jones which is to prefatigue the chest with a isolation excercise , then go directly into a compound excercise. So do a set of flyes and immediatly go into a bench press. the chest is already fatigue by the time the bench starts and the press itself is pushing the chest beyond fatigue levels.</div>
With the greatest of respect RR, I am sure Casey is a great chap and all that but you often can't rely on training advice from a steroid user if you are a natural trainer (unless they really understand the differences that AAS make to training). Fatigue, for a natural trainer, is not where hypertrophy is at. All the typical HIT fatigue type ideas don't really fit well in a natty's hypertrophy orientated workout; load and frequency are much more important variables to play with.

I still say that strong arm muscles actually help you to work your upper-body muscles harder (back, chest &amp; shoulders), just as weaker arm muscles would hinder you from doing so. During the most popular upper-body compound movements, the arms do not totally remove the load from the main agonists being worked at any time and for much of the time the main agonists are the hardest working muscles in the kinetic chain. If I am wrong about this I would like you (or someone) to explain why.

An individual's anthropometry will determine how the forces on the muscles vary over the course of a single repetition, as will the form used. Then there's the persons genetic makeup. Some folks have naturally big pecs (lots of fibres) and some don't. Maybe Casey just didn't have the genetics for really big pecs, even with roids on his side? (Of course, it could have been all that fatigue training he did that never let him reach his true potential!  
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
)

I found a pretty good article that is based on studies that talks about a great deal of the HST principles as well as the issue of hormonal terrain. While the specifics of what this author is espousing may be somewhat different than HST , the underlying points are related.

Likewise he is relfecting a good deal of what Ive written in this thread.

This is edited to be germane to the subjectat hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Igniting the Muscle Building and Fat Burning Stimulus

As stated, it is the type of program utilized that ultimately dictates the corresponding hormonal response. Both muscle and fatty tissue adapt to the fluctuating concentration of circulating hormones. In the case of a muscle fiber, it must be broken down systematically through resistance training. The fiber, in turn, responds with an increase in the synthesis of new contractile proteins that result in the fiber becoming larger and stronger. This growth response is the result of the presence of potent anabolic (muscle-building) hormones whose function is to promote protein synthesis. As more fibers are involved, a greater hormonal response is necessary, and thus greater changes in whole muscle are possible (1).

Related to this concept is the motor unit, defined as a motor neuron and all the muscle fibers that it innervates. To involve the greatest number of muscle fibers, the largest motor units must be stimulated. Upon excitation of these motor units, numerous signals are sent from the brain to various endocrine (hormone-producing) glands (1). As the number of activated muscle fibers increases, a multitude of responses occurs which prime the muscle for the acceptance of the anabolic hormones that result in muscle growth and strength (1). Recruiting these large motor units demands utilization of heavy resistance training with exercises involving multiple muscle groups. This means applying exercises such as the squat, deadlift, bench press, and shoulder press into the routines of those seeking improved muscular development.

Gaining appreciable muscle mass is a constant internal struggle between protein synthesis and protein degradation. Influencing the conflict are numerous external factors, such as recuperation, intensity of training, diet, and genetics. These elements also have an astounding effect on the hormonal environment. The specific hormones involved can be grouped into anabolic and catabolic (growth inhibiting) categories. The objective of exercise is to apply the precise stimulus to induce an anabolic response. However, if the stress is too great, the catabolic hormones will supersede their anabolic counterparts and overtraining will invariably result. To avoid this, strict attention must be paid to appropriate recuperation and diet. Furthermore, intermittent layoffs and periods of decreased training intensity are necessary to augment future muscle hypertrophy, since the hormonal response is increased after these intervals.

Although fat burning is a welcome by-product of larger muscles, there also exist hormones (some that are also anabolic) that dramatically slash body fat percentages and midsections alike. Their release is correspondingly spawned through strenuous activity and specific training protocols. For instance, intense running or a decreased rest interval between sets of weight training has proven to be very effective at maximally stimulating fat-burning hormones. Remarkably, an advantage it has over muscle building is the fact that as training experience increases, the propensity for lipolysis is additionally enhanced (3, 4, 13, 16).

The Hormonal Contestants
Well practiced in the art of muscular growth is testosterone. A remarkably potent hormone, it directly increases protein synthesis and exhibits an intimate relationship with the nervous system. It is testosterone that is activated by exercises involving large motor unit stimulation that result in increased structural changes within muscle (11). In short, testosterone spurs extraordinary muscular growth and strength. In addition to its vaunted effects on protein synthesis, it may also indirectly stimulate the release of another anabolic substance, growth hormone.

Growth Hormone (GH), as its name implies, is another powerful stimulant of anabolism that also sprinkles in a few favorable twists. Not only does it promote muscular growth, but it is also involved in increasing lipolysis, lowering blood pressure, and improving the immune system. Though not fully understood, many of its actions also involve the excitation of a third set of anabolic hormones, the insulin-like growth factors (IGFs). Stimulating the release of IGFs increases the availability of amino acids for protein synthesis and results in greater tissue repair and growth (1). As was the case with testosterone, it appears that the recruitment of large motor units is necessary for GH to exert its anabolic and lipolytic effects (17).

The catecholamines are an interesting group of hormones. Among their vast array of effects are an increased use of fat for energy, increased contraction rate and force production of muscle, and an augmentation of other hormones such as testosterone and the IGFs. The catecholamines, mainly epinephrine and norepinephrine, may also inhibit the release of insulin, a hormone that pushes free fatty acids back into fat cells (13). Through this inhibition and their influence on the liver to cause adipose tissue lipolysis, the catecholamines make stripping a much less embarrassing proposition.

Unfortunately, a continual rise in anabolic hormones triggers counteractive mechanisms to maintain the body's present state. This drawback is effectively accomplished by the representative catabolic hormone, cortisol. Though it may increase the mobilization of free fatty acids, this effect is largely overshadowed by its protein breakdown activity. With cortisol, which is released under physical and emotional stress, amino acids are burned for energy instead of utilized for growth. This increases the likelihood of muscular atrophy in the face of strenuous exercise, which for some is a free ticket to insanity. In the long term, excessively high cortisol levels can even diminish physical health.

Unleashing the Hormonal Arsenal
It is never too late to take advantage of the benefits of the preceding hormones. With effort comes progress, and with progress comes motivation. Initiating an exercise program and adhering to it are very difficult without proper planning and goals, but it soon becomes instinctive as obstacles are surmounted and character is elevated. With adequate knowledge of how hormonal monopoly is achieved, the keys to the internal framework are revealed and mastery is gained.

Since muscle growth is a primary objective, taking command of testosterone and GH is mandatory. In the gym, this translates to using large muscle group exercises, heavy resistance, short rest intervals, and moderate to high volume. It is very rare to see this combination of factors employed consistently by most weight trainers. Why? Because it's often excruciating and requires a mind bent on pillage! Leg extensions and concentration curls have their place, but nothing will stimulate shocking whole-body reconstruction like squats and deadlifts. Remember, with large motor unit stimulation and exhaustion comes an unparalleled release in anabolic hormones.

The next factor to consider is the amount of weight lifted, including the number of repetitions performed. For optimal testosterone release, a resistance that is 85-95% of a one-rep maximum should be utilized (1). For instance, 90% of a 200 lbs. maximum bench press is 180 lbs., and this weight would allow approximately five repetitions, an ideal range. To further augment testosterone release, a one to three minute rest interval between sets is necessary (1). The release of growth hormone closely parallels that of testosterone; however, higher repetitions are optimal, along with short rest periods. The most prolific regimen for GH release appears to be a ten rep maximum approach with one minute rest intervals, which can increase production 20-40 times above baseline levels (1, 13). One research study displayed an even greater increase from a set of 25-rep squats (9). These fluctuations in optimal hormone release conveniently point to the necessity of training variability.

Variety in training may be one of the most important but overlooked concepts in all of exercise. Given the body's tremendous ability to adapt to physical stress, continual variation between individual workouts is imperative. For instance, the differences in the optimal release of testosterone and GH provide an excellent basis for modifications between training sessions. Applying a 5/1 (five rep max, one minute rest) approach for one workout and a 10/1 approach on another prevents plateauing and boredom; it also more efficiently allows for progressive increases in resistance to be maintained between workouts. Also, a 5/1 approach may be optimal for maximum testosterone release, but it may require a decrease in the amount of resistance used on subsequent sets. In this case, a 5/3 protocol adds the spice of variety. Other profitable tips for avoiding the humdrum of training include periodically changing exercises, the speed at which repetitions are performed, and hand/foot placement.

A final factor influencing muscle gain, which can also be manipulated for variety, is the volume of training. This most readily refers to the amount of sets to be performed in a given workout, as well as the amount of recuperation permitted between training sessions. These conditions appear to be largely influenced by individual variation. As a general rule, however, weight training sessions should be limited to approximately 45 minutes. This is due to the fact that the anabolic/catabolic hormonal ratio begins to tip in favor of cortisol at this time. With this in mind, the amount of sets to be performed should be dictated by the chosen rest interval. For example, a one minute rest interval will allow the performance of numerous sets, while a three minute interval will permit using greater resistance.

Generally, however, larger muscle groups (i.e., legs, back, chest) require a greater number of sets than smaller groups (i.e., biceps, triceps). Given this notion, larger muscle groups should comprise 60-75% of the total work sets. For example, if a high intensity workout (5 rep max, 3 minute rest, 45 minutes total) consists of 14 total sets (not including warmup), the large muscle groups would account for approximately 8-10 sets, while the smaller groups would take 4-6 sets.

Determining the number of days between workouts of the same body part is subject to tremendous variation. Some thrive on training five to six times weekly, while others can withstand only two or three. The factors influencing this variable of training volume are innumerable, but the most important ones appear to be training experience, intensity of training, diet, and the exercises employed. Beginners will experience a great degree of delayed onset muscle soreness when initiating a weight-training program and hence will require more rest. Additionally, more recovery is required after sessions of high intensity training. High intensity, in this case, refers to training to muscular failure with near maximal poundages. When choosing exercises, also bear in mind that larger muscles require more recuperation. Thus when training with movements that recruit a great number of muscle fibers (i.e. squats and deadlifts), more rest is necessary

References:
1. Baechle, T. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. 1994. pp. 86-107
2. Bell, G., D. Syrotuik, T. Socha, I. Maclean, H. Quinney. Effect of strength training and concurrent strength and endurance training on strength, testosterone, and cortisol. J. Strength and Cond. Research. 11(1), 57-64. 1997
3. Bloom, S.R., R. Johnson, D. Park, M. Rennie, W. Sulaiman. Differences in the metabolism and the hormonal response to exercise between racing cyclists and untrained individuals. J. Physiol. Lond. 258:1-18. 1976
4. Coggan, A. Plasma glucose metabolism during exercise in humans. Sports Medicine. 11:102-124. 1991
5. Craig, B., Kang, H. Growth hormone release following single versus multiple sets of back squats: total work versus power. J. Strength and Cond. Research. 8(4), 270-275. 1994
6. Guezennec, Y., L. Leger, F. Lhoste, M. Aymonod, P.C. Pesquies. Hormone and metabolite response to weight-lifting training sessions. Int. J. Sports Med. 7:100-105. 1986
7. Hakkinen, K. A. Pakarinen, M. Alen, H. Kauhenen, P.V. Komi. Daily hormonal and neuromuscular responses to intensive strength training in 1 week. Int. J. Sports Med. 9:422-428. 1988
8. Issekutz, B., H. Miller. Plasma free fatty acids during exercise and the effect of lactic acid. Proceedings of the Society of Experimental Biology and Medicine. 110:237-239. 1962
9. Kang, H., P. Martino, V. Russo, J. Ryder, B. Craig. The influence of repetitions maximum on GH release following the back squat and leg press in trained men: preliminary results. J. Strength and Cond. Research. 10(3), 148-152. 1996
10. Kiens, B., B. Essen-Gustavsson, N. Christensen, B. Saltin. Skeletal muscle substrate utilization during submaximal exercise in man: effect of endurance training. J. Phsiol. Lond. 469:459-478. 1993
11. Kraemer, W.J. Endocrine responses to resistance exercise. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 20 (suppl.):S152-S157. 1988
12. Lewis, S., W. Taylor, R. Graham, W. Pettinger, J. Schutte, C. Blomqvist. Cardiovascular responses to exercise as functions of absolute and relative work load. J. Appl. Physiol. 54:1314-1323. 1983
13. McMillan, J., M. Stone, et al. 20-Hour physiological responses to a single weight-training session. J. Strength and Cond. Research. 7(1), 9-21. 1993
14. Potteiger, J., L. Judge, J. Cerny, V. Potteiger. Effects of altering training volume and intensity on body mass, performance, and hormonal concentrations in weight-event athletes. J. Strength and Cond. Research. 9(1), 55-58. 1995
15. Pruett, E. Glucose and insulin during prolonged work stress in men living on different diets. J. Applied Physiol. 28:199-208. 1970
16. Rennie, M., R. Johnson. Alteration of metabolic and hormonal responses to exercise by physical training. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. Occup. Physiol. 33:215-226. 1974
17. Rogol, A.D. Growth Hormone: Physiology, therapeutic use, and potential for abuse. In: Exercise and Sport Science Reviews, K.B. Pandolf, ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins. 1989. pp. 353-377
18. Romjin, J., E. Coyle, L. Sidossis, et al. Regulation of endogenous fat and carbohydrate metabolism in relation to exercise intensity and duration. Am. J. Physiol. 265 (Endocrinol. Metab. 28):E380-E391. 1993

RR

<div>
(Lol @ Jan. 17 2008,19:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Casey still prescribes the super setting stye ala Jones which is to prefatigue the chest with a isolation excercise , then go directly into a compound excercise. So do a set of flyes and immediatly go into a bench press. the chest is already fatigue by the time the bench starts and the press itself is pushing the chest beyond fatigue levels.</div>
With the greatest of respect RR, I am sure Casey is a great chap and all that but you often can't rely on training advice from a steroid user if you are a natural trainer (unless they really understand the differences that AAS make to training). Fatigue, for a natural trainer, is not where hypertrophy is at. All the typical HIT fatigue type ideas don't really fit well in a natty's hypertrophy orientated workout; load and frequency are much more important variables to play with.

I still say that strong arm muscles actually help you to work your upper-body muscles harder (back, chest &amp; shoulders), just as weaker arm muscles would hinder you from doing so. During the most popular upper-body compound movements, the arms do not totally remove the load from the main agonists being worked at any time and for much of the time the main agonists are the hardest working muscles in the kinetic chain. If I am wrong about this I would like you (or someone) to explain why.

An individual's anthropometry will determine how the forces on the muscles vary over the course of a single repetition, as will the form used. Then there's the persons genetic makeup. Some folks have naturally big pecs (lots of fibres) and some don't. Maybe Casey just didn't have the genetics for really big pecs, even with roids on his side? (Of course, it could have been all that fatigue training he did that never let him reach his true potential!  
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
)</div>
I agree 100% with what youve said. All of it.

I was never fond of preexhaustion either. Never felt
right to me fro whatever reason.

I preferred doing the compound and tacking on an isolation directly after it. Burn that muscle!

RR

Back