HST newbie plan

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Oct. 30 2006,21:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks for the backup Faz,

the_dark_master no disrespect but those comments were a bit ignorant, I don't know how long you've been lifting for but do you remember what it was like when you first walked into the gym, never lifted a weight or even used a machine in your life.

And to insult my skills as a personal trainer, well that **** I just take personally...that was harsh...</div>
Did you expect the Dark Master to be any less than harsh?!  
biggrin.gif

Of course, that Avatar of MaxBs is there to lull you into a false sense of security and then, while you are squinting to try and get a better look, that's when DM is gonna get ya!  
ghostface.gif

Your routine is perfect for a newby. It has all the principles of HST, so it is HST! Don't forget that HST is a set of principles, not a routine set in stone. There is nothing inferior about peakpower's routine. Why is vanilla HST better? They both have mechanical load, progressive loading, proper frequency, low volume, SD, etc.

There is absolutely no scientific proof that undulating progression like Bryan's basic HST uses is superior to other traditional progression routines. Progression itself is what is important and not the particular format. ESPECIALLY FOR NEWBIES! I would think newbies would actually gain better using traditional linear progression due to neural gains in strength.

If the Dark Master thinks that the routine Peakpower presented is not HST, then obviuosly he doesn't even understand HST.
rock.gif

Mmm, well I reiterate; either you need to brush-up on your coaching skills and/or your clients are dipsh1ts.
SOTDM aged 11 (2yrs ago) went on HST (Vanilla)
Asked:
1 What are reps - reps are the number of times you lift a weight
2 What is a set - a set is a given number of reps
3 What weights do I use - look on the printout
4 Can you guide me thru' the workout - yes (as any good coach would)

He's now 5'11 ripped to shreds and has abs to die for.

TDM ...doesn't know HST - edit
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Aw Jeez. I must have logged onto the wrong forum this morning. We don't need or tolerate personal attacks on the HST forum. Go somewhere else if that is your agenda. We are here to learn and share in a constuctive and instructive way.
cool.gif

darkmaster...that is out of line!
sad.gif

Stop the silly behaviour, this is not the site to display insults, neither personal nor of any other kind!

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Oct. 30 2006,07:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Getting back to the original question/proposal: - What's difficult about the Vanilla HST program? The lifter is presented with an 8 week program that tells him what to lift &amp; when, for so many reps; if you as a personal trainer cannot explain that - then I suggest it's you who's complicating matters by starting them off on an &quot;inferior&quot; workout regime.
IMHO this newbie program is akin to sprinkling glitter (HST) on dog **** (the traditional program)
Use full HST &amp; they can apply all the principles &amp; have access to the science behind it, here - all in one place.
Look on HST as the wheel - and stop trying to re-invent it
wink.gif
</div>
Ok personally I don't see any personal attacks or HST injustice going on in TDM's post here. He's only stating that HST isn't that complicated and since PeakPower is a PT and by now an experienced HST'r he shouldn't have a problem instructing some newb on how to use it properly.

So what's all the hub bub..........bub

Dan

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Oct. 31 2006,07:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Either you need to brush-up on your coaching skills and/or your clients are dipsh1ts.

- Go Fcuk yourself :</div>

Not my problem! I love everybody.

smile.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

The personal insults are tasteless at best, and uncalled for.

As usual, O&amp;G is way ahead of the rest of us, cutting through the BS to the heart of the matter:
<div>
(Old and Grey @ Oct. 30 2006,15:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Forget about Max's program. I'm more interested in meeting his avatar.
cool.gif
</div>

biggrin.gif

Not disagreeing that they aren't called for but in TDM's orignal post he made none, his questions were concise and respectful, the replies that came after is the problem, from both sides.

So can't we just all get along

and let's move on.

Bryan Haycock intro. to HST-
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST) is based on physiological principles of hypertrophy first discovered in the laboratory. These principles were then organized into a &quot;method&quot; of mechanically loading the muscle to induce hypertrophy. Of course, translating these principles into applicable methods (sets &amp; reps &amp; schedules) brings in some possibility of error. As the science continues to explore the exact mechanisms of muscle hypertrophy, this error will be whittled away.</div>

The principles are what matters, not the exact details of the routine. That is what I meant by 'not understanding HST.' I didn't intend it to be an insult. IMO TDMs original post was way off likening peak's routine to 'glitter on dog****.'
Just my opinion, no hard feelings....moving on.
cool.gif

IMO, some of the comments are out of line and not in line with HST phylosophy...as O &amp; G points out, <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not my problem! I love everybody.</div>

It is just unnecessary, so far if we had to vote...DM would be out voted as insulting and unnecessary!
cool.gif

Thanks Dan for taking time to actually READ my original reply, which I still stand by.
As an ABA coach I know it's frustrating just trying to get a boxer into his &quot;stance&quot; - but hey that's part of the job. Part of the job.
It'd be remiss of me if I didn't persevere until he &quot;got it.&quot;
So stop it with all the &quot;ooohh naughty boy&quot; crap and get real - and don't get me started on ad hominem

A verbis ad verbera...

I am not mad at you DM, disagreeing and argueing is fun! (for me anyway
mad.gif
)
An occasional insult thrown in doesn't bother me either, but for some people it might, so I try to be careful.  Some of us are confrontational types, some of us aren't.  I am a pretty straight-forward, say-what-I-think type of guy, and obviously so is dark master.  It can be hard to hold the tongue sometimes!
biggrin.gif

We have lost good writers and web mates thorugh this crap so it is worth taking care of...just go easy on the type &quot;A&quot;...written word thing!
laugh.gif

It's not that hard to screen your posts before you submit them. I happen to a bull-headed jerk who states his opinion baldly most of the time, but I make a conscious effort to at least be somewhat decent to people and I think everyone else should too.

It's called tact. If you aren't sure what that means, check dictionary.com

Well this thread got WAY off topic!
tounge.gif
 Anyway, I like peakpower's suggestion for newbies, When I first started all I knew how to do was chin-ups, curls and bench press!  I had no idea what to do to gain muscle and reading books and muscle mags just confused me!  Finally after years of research and testing different methods on myself, I found this site and also Daniel Moore's excellent site hypertrophy-research.  Since then my gains have been light-years better than when I started out confused by all the different methods out there.

I would have been so grateful to have Peakpower as a personal trainer back then to guide me through a basic workout and get me started in the right direction.  After a month or three of learning the basics, getting familiar with the exercises and developing neural strength in my untrained muscles, he would start me on a 'regular' HST routine, and that would be great too!  Nothing 'dog****' about that!
laugh.gif

Back