HST newbie plan

Although I think DM's comments and attitude are completely out of line, I will ignore his personal attack and clear up a matter that may be at the heart of this little disagreement:

I am also a gym instructor, and I am talking about giving programs to gym members, who I don't have time to watch over personally and go through their RMs, teach them about the principles of HST etc. Because of time contraints and efficiency a program showthrough should only typically go for 20-30mins, no longer, including showing them every exercise, correcting their technique, and explaining what this exercise program is designed to do for them, and why. Proper HST can't be explained and set up in this time, especially for noobs to lifting. For my PT clients I have the time to go through RMs, change reps, or whatever, which is what I have always done anyway, and I can also take the time to explain to them why what I am doing works.

Sci muscle is right to point out, as Bryan himself points out regularly, that HST is about a set of principles, not a set routine.

I am happy to hear anyone's negative (but constructive) criticisms of my plan as long as they are aware of those two points I just made.

I think the routine is fine. Negatives aren't really suitable for a newbie, I don't think. The main thing you want to focus on with newbs is getting form down, then adding weight slowly while keeping their form good. Peak's routine seems it would be a good primer for that sort of thing. After a couple cycles, they should be ready to do more without killing themselves.

hey guys,

OMG I didn't get emailed that there had been any responses since my last post on page1...lol anyway I've modded my routine a bit more, here goes nothing!

Started Mon 30-10-2006 - 1 Hour 50 Min Workout #A
Wednesday 01-11-06 - 1 Hour 45 Min Workout #B
I'm sure these times will go down when I've mastered the exercises.

#Workout: A

~*Legs*~
Full Squats(Smith) - 2x10 @ 30kg
Deadlift - 2x10 @ 20kBAR+30kg [WU]
Seated Leg Press - 2x10 @ 50kg per leg

~*Chest*~
Assisted Chest Dips - 2x10 @ -47kg
Flat BB Bench Press - 2x10 @ 20kBAR+10kg [WU]

~*Back*~
Bent-over BB Rows - 2x10 @ 20kBAR+10kg [WU]
Lat Iso Pulldowns - 2x10 @ 40kg

~*Traps*~
Shrugs - 2x10 @ 20kBAR+30kg [WU]

~*Shoulders*~
DB Shoulder Press - 2x10 @ 10kg
Seated DB Lateral Raise - 2x10 @ 5kg
Seated DB Rear Lateral Raise - 2x10 @ 5kg

~*Biceps*~
Seated Alt. DB Curls - 2x10 @ 7.5kg

~*Triceps*~
Skull Crushers - 2x10 @ EZ+7.5kg

~*Calves*~
Seated Calf Raises - 2x10 @ 20kg

~*Abs*~
Weighted Crunches - 2x15-20 @ 10kg

#Workout: B

~*Legs*~
Full Squats(Smith) - 2x10 @ 30kg
Deadlift - 2x10 @ 20kBAR+30kg [WU]
Seated Leg Press - 2x10 @ 50kg per leg

~*Chest*~
Incline BB Bench Press - 2x10 @ 20kBAR
Flat DB Bench Press - 2x10 @ 12.5kg

~*Back*~
One Arm Bent-Over DB Row - 2x10 @ 15kg
Lat Iso Pulldowns - 2x10 @ 40kg

~*Traps*~
Shrugs - 2x10 @ 20kBAR+30kg [WU]

~*Shoulders*~
DB Military Press - 2x10 @ 10kg
DB Raise - 2x10 @ 10kg
BB Rear Delt Row - 2x10 @ 20kBAR [WU]

~*Biceps*~
Preacher Curls - 2x10 @ EZ+7.5kg

~*Triceps*~
DB Tricep Ext. - 2x10 @ 12.5kg

~*Calves*~
Seated Calf Raises - 2x10 @ 20kg

~*Abs*~
Incline Crunches - 2x10

--

Felt really good after both sessions, managed to make a nice pool of sweat in the area I was working out in
biggrin.gif
. When my form gets a little better I'll up the weights
wink.gif
Deads and shrugs are really too much like hard work, can't handle it! So I'll do them separately. Sod the chins I'm happy with the exercises I'm doing! Hmmm but with the squats my legs don't really feel worked, like they do with deads and leg press. Think I'll have a bash with the free weight bar. Can't be doing me any good using the fixed position of the smith.

Heres my diet:

09:00 - 3 Large Egg Omelet + 250ml Pure Orange Juice + 30g Dextrose + 5g l-glutamine + Omega 3-6-9 Oils + Multivit.

11:30 - Pre-Workout Shake -- 30g Whey + 100g Ground oats + Skimmed Milk + 5g creatine Mono.

Go to GYM @ 12:15

14:15 - Post-Workout Shake -- 40g Whey + 100g Ground oats + Skimmed Milk + Large Banana + 5g creatine Mono + 5g l-glutamine.

17:00 - 139g Tuna W/Burgen Bread + 100g WholeWheat Pasta + Pasta Sauce + 50g Pistachio Nuts + Big Salad.

19:30 - Lean Meat/Fish + 100g WholeWheat Pasta + Pasta Sauce + Greens + Low Fat Yogurt.

5g l-glutamine 1 hour before bed.

3418 kCal

213g Protein
427g Carbs
95g Fat
cool.gif

hello all.
I got introduced to this site by one my collegue at work who is going to try HST.

I did some weight lifting before but i didn't get the result wanted.I was working out like 4 time a week plus doing 5 miles a day of bicycle.
I was getting tone but it seems the strenght was progressing a lil bit to slow. Anyways...

1)From what the site said i need to get more calories into my body  to gain weight right?
What should i take before and after the work out .

2) First i need to figure out my  maximum weight for 15reps 10reps 5reps.  my question my sounds stupid  but how do i figure it out if  i'm a newbie into it.  

If i read right  5reps that's where you  have to use heavy  weights. i guess that where i'm confuse because  a  beginner like me doesn't know is max. i don't want to try and hurt myself  
smile.gif

3)  So after my first  cycle ( meaning doing my 15rep,10reps, 5 reps) i should take a week off for recuperate. In this week can i do cardio ?

By the way  i like to do some cardio can in my rest days ( between workouts) can i do cardio or am i not letting my body to rest

4) From the info i gathered in forums, the site and from some of my gym experiences  i came to this workout. Let me know  if i'm doing it wrong

I'm doing 2 set for each

Legs:
       squat alt leg press
        deadlift + Shrug ( got it from the  early post )
wink.gif

Chest:
         DB incline bench press
         Dip  (  how can i increase  the weight ?? is it with a belt)

Back:
       Close grip underhand lat pul down
        Seated row

Trap:
      I guess with the dead lift

Ab:
   Crunch

Shoulder:
              DB  press or
              Barbell Press Behind Neck (with machine)

Tricep:
          Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension

5) After i've done my 6-8 weeks cycle  is the next one the same or i have to change the set of weight and the exercise?

6) After Each workout  should i eat a full meal ( if i work out during 7 pm )
 If i work out in the morning  should i take a full breakfast or drink a shake . Help me out over here PLZ.
smile.gif

7) my worries is  that i work out alone  and  when i get to the 5rep   i might need some assistance. the thing is people are into there workout and don't really have time to help you out .

What would be your suggestion on that .

I guess i asked anouth question for my first post .

i just checked the HST calculator and i was wondering what was the negs 2RM about . is it the SD?

<div>
(krim @ Nov. 03 2006,16:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">i just checked  the HST calculator and i was wondering what was the negs 2RM about . is it the SD?</div>
From the HST training page

HST utilizes, when practical, eccentric workouts for 2 consecutive weeks. This suggestion is only for exercises that can be performed in eccentric fashion without risk of injury. Eccentric sets are performed with weight that exceeds their 5 rep max. This is done to extend the progression in load, began at the beginning of the HST cycle, for an additional 2 weeks. The fear of over training is no greater during these two weeks than previous weeks if volume is controlled for. Recent research has demonstrated this. (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17, to name a few) Clearly, the effects of eccentric muscle actions on muscle tissue are one of the most well researched subjects in exercise physiology.
As the research continues to explore the facets of load induced muscle hypertrophy, HST will apply the new knowledge and become even more effective. For today, HST represents the state of the art and science of hypertrophy.

I have now used these principles myself, and have used them successfully to train competitive bodybuilders for some time. It is not &quot;specifically&quot; designed for competitive track athletes, Powerlifters or Olympic lifters, although I have had many athletes from different sports apply HST to their off-season training with ground breaking results. It is designed according to research looking specifically at muscle hypertrophy, not muscle performance.

This subject deserves a lot more attention than I am able to give it here. I will cover the topic more thoroughly in the future, including the references that first shed light on the principles that gave rise to HST. In the meantime, if you want to grow as fast as possible, you must apply currently know hypertrophy-specific training principles.

hehe just read over the HST pages again on the main page, its making more sense to me now than it did when I joined this forum
smile.gif
Can't wait to get started on my vanilla routine when I've finished my current cycle!

<div>
(krim @ Nov. 03 2006,21:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">hello all.
I got introduced to this site by one my collegue at work who is going to try HST.

I did some weight lifting before but i didn't get the result wanted.I  was working out like 4 time a week plus doing 5 miles a day of bicycle.
I was getting tone but it seems the strenght was progressing a lil bit to slow. Anyways...

1)From what the site said i need to get more calories into my body  to gain weight right?
What should i take before and after the work out .

2) First i need to figure out my  maximum weight for 15reps 10reps 5reps.  my question my sounds stupid  but how do i figure it out if  i'm a newbie into it.  

If i read right  5reps that's where you  have to use heavy  weights. i guess that where i'm confuse because  a  beginner like me doesn't know is max. i don't want to try and hurt myself  
smile.gif

3)  So after my first  cycle ( meaning doing my 15rep,10reps, 5 reps) i should take a week off for recuperate. In this week can i do cardio ?

By the way  i like to do some cardio can in my rest days ( between workouts) can i do cardio or am i not letting my body to rest

4) From the info i gathered in forums, the site and from some of my gym experiences  i came to this workout. Let me know  if i'm doing it wrong

I'm doing 2 set for each

Legs:
       squat alt leg press
        deadlift + Shrug ( got it from the  early post )
wink.gif

Chest:
         DB incline bench press
         Dip  (  how can i increase  the weight ?? is it with a belt)

Back:
       Close grip underhand lat pul down
        Seated row

Trap:
      I guess with the dead lift

Ab:
   Crunch

Shoulder:
              DB  press or
              Barbell Press Behind Neck (with machine)

Tricep:
          Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension

5) After i've done my 6-8 weeks cycle  is the next one the same or i have to change the set of weight and the exercise?

6) After Each workout  should i eat a full meal ( if i work out during 7 pm )
 If i work out in the morning  should i take a full breakfast or drink a shake . Help me out over here PLZ.
smile.gif

7) my worries is  that i work out alone  and  when i get to the 5rep   i might need some assistance. the thing is people are into there workout and don't really have time to help you out .

What would be your suggestion on that .

I guess i asked anouth question for my first post .</div>
it seems this thread has got a little out of hand (not been online for a bit)
but if DM seems to think its so easy to explain why are people like KRIM still asking these questions
rock.gif

simple because we all seem to forget how little we knew when we started,we can talk about protein-synthesis,doms,rbe,etc,but as i stated before newbies know next to nothing.
and DAN it was the way DM asked the question as though peak-power was a retard or something as TOT said there are etiquetes(spelling) on forums and there are also smillies for jokes and sarcasms as not to offend.
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Nov. 07 2006,09:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">faz; my comment was applicable to a one-on-one situation, and nothing to do with reading comprehension ergo Krims' questions... QED
cool.gif
</div>
i was pointing out that even guys like krim who has done some lifting still has to ask questions about HST.
total newbies even one on one could find it very difficult to understand and give up.
i personaly think its better to give them a couple of months of a routine ..along the HST lines but without al the technical stuff first then ween them onto HST.
if you tried to explain everything about HST to every newbie every session you would be in the gym all day and not got through much work IMO
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Well i started HST pretty much straight away as the first weight lifting ive ever done and have had very good results, took a small while to get the form down for most of the lifts which i practised most days for a few weeks. The gradual increase in weight with hst seems pretty suited to making sure beginners dont sacrifice bad form for heavier weights they cant control.
Why not just send these people to this site, any questions anyone has are quickly resolved and they easily gain a better understanding of how it works quickly enough. If someone really wants to know how to do something they'll do their own work &amp; if they dont care how it works you dont need to explain the reasoning behind hst anyway.  
smile.gif

faz just what is all this &quot;technical stuff&quot; pertaining to?; the actual routine? That aint technical, mate. Now if you're referring to the actual science behind HST - by knowing this would your muscles grow any better? I don't think so, it would however enable you to build on the base workout program and implement strategies to enhance your training - tailored for individual preferences...

to a newbie sets,reps,progressive load,strategic deconditioning, zigzaging,are all technical stuff.
these are all basics of a vanilla HST woprkout you would have to explain all this to him,whereas if he just did the same weight for 15s for 3wks then increased the weight for 10s 3 more wks then the same with 5s,at least that way he will understand
sets,reps,progressive load,then he could sd and while he is doing all this you could either point him to here or explain it to him.a newbie will grow doing almost anything anyway.
and BTW if HST can be tweaked why cant the vannila routine be tweaked,its only a plan anyway its doesnt have to be done that way even bryan said that.

to a newbie sets,reps,progressive load,strategic deconditioning, zigzaging,are all technical stuff.

Quo usque tandem abutere, faz, patientia nostra?
rock.gif

Back