HST with Clustering Log (goal: 148 to 160lbs)

Workout #16 (Monday 2/14/2010)
Morning weigh-in: ---

Squat
150lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
110lbs x 14+4+3+3+3

Chinups
BW+7.5lbs x 7+4+3+3+2+2

DB Shrugs
45lbs x 16+8+6+6

------------

Workout #17 (Tuesday, 2/15/11)

Overhead Press
70lbs x 14+4+3+3+3

Inverted Rows
BW x 11+4+4+4+3+3

Deadlift

150lbs x 5,5,5

Narrow Pushups
BW+15lbs x 12+6+4+4

No weigh-ins the past few days.

Workout #18 (Wednesday, 2/16/11)
Morning weigh-in: 152.4 lbs.

Barbell Curl
48.75 lbs x 19+5+3+3+3
------------------

Workout #19 (Thursday, 2/17/11)
Morning weigh-in: 152.8 lbs.

Squat
152.5lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
112.5lbs x 12+5+3+3+3

Pullups
BW+7.5lbs x 6+4+3+3+2 (dropped extra weight) +3

DB Shrugs
46.25lbs x 19+7+6+5

---

Chinups/pullups are an endurance test. I get fatigued quickly but I can probably continue with 2 rep clusters for a long time. Not sure what that means..

Chinups/pullups are an endurance test. I get fatigued quickly but I can probably continue with 2 rep clusters for a long time. Not sure what that means..
Perhaps it means you should wait just a bit longer between attempts. When you begin your clustering, give yourself 20 or 30 seconds between pullups. See if that makes a difference.

Alternatively, you might want to try the Max-Stim method, using an adjustable M-time between attempts.

Alternatively, you might want to try the Max-Stim method, using an adjustable M-time between attempts.
I second the recommendation of trying Max-Stim’s M-Time for Chin/Pull-Ups and for most any other heavy compound movement for that matter. For me it changes the exercise from an endurance test to a strength test. For the endurance or burn side you can throw in some complementary isolation exercises. But having just tried M-Time I think it’s great. Using the variable M-Time seems to make this much more effective than just doing singles without regard to time between reps.

I really strongly debated doing Max-Stim instead of my current routine before starting.

My issue with heavy weight/moderate reps is that my entire body feels like it breaks down before my target muscle group fatigues. Not to make excuses for myself, but I'm a small, non-muscular guy. Ectomorph, probably nasty genetics, whatever. But having worked out consistently for over a year, I'd like to think I can understand my body's reaction to lifting weight.

When doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program, 5x5 squats near my 5rm made me want to die. I felt more stress in my bones and joints than I did my muscles. Blamed form initially, then realized it was just too taxing on my nervous system. Taking 5 minute breaks between sets seemed very counter productive. Made me want to take a nap by the time those 5 minutes elapsed.

I will read more into this Max-Stim. It may be exactly what my body-type needs to lift heavy weights for reps without feeling like death.

Workout #20 (Friday, 2/18/11)
Morning weigh-in: 153.2

Overhead Press
72.5lbs x 13+4+4+3+3

Inverted Rows
BW x 11+5+5+4+3+3

Deadlift

152.5lbs x 5,5,5

Reverse Grip Bench

75lbs x 18+6+5+4+3

Switched out the pushups with reverse grip bench. After reading some stuff about how it stimulates upper chest better than regular incline bench, I wanted to give it a shot. Flat bench, set the pins as low as possible, starting with the bar at my chest. Felt great.

If you get a chance post what you think of the reverse grip bench. I’ve read some people saying it hit’s the upper chest while other say it hit’s the triceps more.

No problem - I actually threw it in the routine instead of the narrow grip pushups because I was doing those for triceps anyway. Seems the reverse grip bench may be a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone. Have to read up a little bit more on proper form, grip width, etc.

Workout #21 (Monday, 2/21/11)
Morning weigh-in: 152.4 lbs.

Squat
155lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
115lbs x 11+4+4+3+3

Chinups
BW+10lbs x 7 (30 second rest) +8 (10 seconds between reps) +7 (15 seconds between reps) = 22 reps total

DB Shrugs
47.5lbs x 15+9+6+7

----------------

Tried a combination of myo-reps + max-stim today for chinups. Did an activation set to close to failure followed by a 30 second rest. Single reps with 10 second and 15 second breaks followed that.

I calculated the 10 and 15 seconds from the time I started the rep to the time I started the next rep inclusive of performing the rep. After reading up a bit more on max-stim I think that is an incorrect way to calculate m-time. The m-times were actually 7 and 12 seconds or so if you calculate it based on when one rep ends and the next one begins.

Either way, I absolutely loved it. Took a little less time to complete the same number of reps with much less cardiovascular fatigue.

After reading up a bit more on max-stim I think that is an incorrect way to calculate m-time. The m-times were actually 7 and 12 seconds or so if you calculate it based on when one rep ends and the next one begins.

M-time is whatever works for you. I usually start with 2-3 seconds, then add about a second per rep. I try to keep my M-time under 30 seconds if at all possible.

Week #5, workout #22 (Tuesday, 2/22/11)

Overhead Press
75lbs x 11+4+4+3+3

Inverted Rows
BW x 8+6+5+4+4+3

Deadlift

155lbs x 5,5,5

Reverse Grip Bench

80lbs x 15+6+5+4+4

---------

Trying to figure out how to get rid of the inverted rows and add in bent over barbell rows. I'm afraid it will beat my lower back to death before deadlifting. Maybe swap it with chinups so my days look like this instead:

Day A
------
Squat
Inc. bench
Bent over barbell rows
Shrugs

Day B
------
Overhead press
Chinups/pullups
Deadlift
Reverse grip bench

Also it might be time to switch up the order and move deadlift to the top of the heap that day. It's clearly supposed to be the most taxing exercise and it will be when I get closer to 200lbs.

I switched to single arm Supported DB Rows which pretty much takes my lower back out of it. I also feel I get a better back workout with DB Rows because of the greater range of motion.

I prefer to do all strength work, Dead Lift, Squat, Bench Press at the beginning when I’m the strongest. I know some people prefer to Dead Lift last because it wipes them out. Just have to figure out what works best for your needs.

I prefer to do all strength work, Dead Lift, Squat, Bench Press at the beginning when I’m the strongest. I know some people prefer to Dead Lift last because it wipes them out. Just have to figure out what works best for your needs.
I like to do my squats or deads first, while I am still fresh. I think Totz likes to do them last. Mileage varies.

Those dummbell rows will save your lower back a bit. I usually do lying rows, either with dumbbells or with a barbell. The trick is to get your lower back out of the equation.

after Totz' recommendation i switched from doing squats/deads from first to last. if i do them 1st i'm pretty screwed for everything else. especially after deads all i can do is crawl back upstairs to the office and pretend to work while my head spins.

2 very distinct schools of thought then on placement of squats/deads. Guess I'll have to test and see which works best.

Form has always been my issue with one-arm rows. Seems like it should be the easiest exercise in the world to keep proper form, but I can never tell if I'm cheating or completing the full range of motion as fatigue starts to set in. When my chest bumps the bar doing inverted rows I know I've complete a full rep. When it doesn't bump, time to stop. Any thoughts on this? You've all been a huge help so far.

-------------

Week #5, workout #23 (Wednesday, 2/23/11)
Morning weigh-in: 152.8 lbs

Barbell curl

55lbs x 20 reps (5 second m-time)

-------------

My biceps (arms in general) have never shown any growth. Never.

P90X, traditional sets/reps, HCT-12, myo-reps, HST principles - it does not matter. No growth. Dropping 20 pounds from skinny-fat to skinny and a little less fat allowed a solitary vein to pop out of my bicep on occasion. That was my growth measurement.

Major compound movements don't seem to have much effect. Bodyweight and lift weights are increasing, so I'm getting stronger. Found a few stories out there of max-stim working well for arms when everything else failed.

2 very distinct schools of thought then on placement of squats/deads. Guess I'll have to test and see which works best.

Form has always been my issue with one-arm rows. Seems like it should be the easiest exercise in the world to keep proper form, but I can never tell if I'm cheating or completing the full range of motion as fatigue starts to set in. When my chest bumps the bar doing inverted rows I know I've complete a full rep. When it doesn't bump, time to stop. Any thoughts on this? You've all been a huge help so far.

-------------

Week #5, workout #23 (Wednesday, 2/23/11)
Morning weigh-in: 152.8 lbs

Barbell curl

55lbs x 20 reps (5 second m-time)

-------------

My biceps (arms in general) have never shown any growth. Never.

P90X, traditional sets/reps, HCT-12, myo-reps, HST principles - it does not matter. No growth. Dropping 20 pounds from skinny-fat to skinny and a little less fat allowed a solitary vein to pop out of my bicep on occasion. That was my growth measurement.

Major compound movements don't seem to have much effect. Bodyweight and lift weights are increasing, so I'm getting stronger. Found a few stories out there of max-stim working well for arms when everything else failed.

Can't help you much with the bicep growth. I have the opposite 'problem' - my biceps respond to virtually anything. I don't do curls much because of that. When I first started lifting and doing all the different muscle groups, my biceps were the first to start growing and within a month or so I looked freakishly disporportionate like Popeye, if he had huge bis instead of forearms.

For DB rows, I just start with my arm fully straight and lift until it's fully bent at the elbow. And I don't think about it too much either. I've found that heavy db rows are effective for me no matter what. I've gone super heavy on plenty of occasions and used momentum and jerked it up and still got a great response. I think there are some exercises where form isn't extremely important. And it's not like your subject to hurting yourself doing sloppy bench supported DB rows.

Workout #24 (Thursday, 2/24/2010)
Morning weigh-in: 153.0 lbs

Squat
157.5lbs x 5,5,5

Inc. Bench
117.5lbs x 10+4+3+3+3

Pullups
BW+10lbs x 6+10(10 sec m-time)+6(15 sec m-time)

DB Shrugs
50lbs x 16+7+5+4

----------

Really like the max-stim reps. Thinking I may do MS style reps once my first activation set drops below 10 reps on any of these exercises. Will be easier to keep the volume consistent.

Week #5, workout #25 (Friday, 2/25/11)
Morning weigh-in: 153 lbs.

Overhead Press
77.5lbs x 11+4+3+3+3

Inverted Rows
BW+5lbs x 9+5+4+4+4+4

Deadlift

157.5lbs x 5,5,5

Reverse Grip Bench

85lbs x 16+6+4+4+3

About your biceps...

The fact that your bi's don't grow could be due to a ton of different things - genetics, overtraining and nutrition being my prime suspects. I had much the same problem and basically took a no-focus approach to 'em. I almost never do curls, and just rely on compound movements to give them the stimulus needed to grow. As a result - they grew, and have been growing now for about the past 4 years on a steady basis. Maybe the thing to to, iwealth, is to ensure that your arms get enough work with compounds and leave it at that. If the cause of your no-growth is genetic, there's nothing you can do about it. I think you're a nutrition nut, so that should rule that suspect out. So - go on the hunch that you may be overstimulating them and see what happens.

So - go on the hunch that you may be overstimulating them and see what happens.
Yes, sometimes instead of more work, you need more rest.

Food is the fuel. Exercise is the trigger. But growth takes place while you are resting.

Back