lcars's training log.

lcars

this will be my first and last log at the gym im at now.
as the lack of (quality)weights/machines has finally forced me to uproot and go to another gym.

many of the weights are unbalenced and old,the gym/cellar has been open over 50 years with some of the original equipment.while old is not bad,rusty and/or covered in lead paint is  
biggrin.gif

ive spent alot of time changing and tweaking my routine and for this 6 week cycle i have chosen to go back to a short and somewhat basic rep scheme:

week 1 15's
week 2 15's
week 3 10's
week 4 10's
week 5 5's
week 6 5,s

only 6 weeks as im going to the states soon.
also each week will be progressive rather than each workout.

i started this cycle two weeks ago so im just gonna fill in what ive done so far.

week 1

mon 25/06

chest

incline dumbell 3 sets of 15@90lb  done  slow and strict with explosive contraction.as i consider these slightly submaximal.

flat dumbell 3 sets of 15@90lb as above.

decline dumbell 3 sets of 15@90lb  as above.

biceps

hammers dumbell 3 sets of 15@40lb strict form.

zedbar wide grip  3 sets of 15@80lb  slow strict.

done.

wednesday

back

deads 3 sets of 15@260lb strict.

rows dumbell 3 sets of 15@90lb

lat pulldowns machine 3 sets of 15@120lb  

pull overs dumbell 3 sets 15@70lb

tri's

cgb 3 sets 15@140lb

dumbell pull over/french press lying down
3 sets of 15@75lb

friday

legs

squats 3 sets(1 set done atg)of 18@250lb

legpress 3 sets 15@400lb

calves(on leg press machine)3 sets 20@400lb

saturday

shoulders

seated dumbells hammer style 3 sets of 15@75lb

military press barbell***  3 sets 15,12,8@110lb

rear laterals/row hybrid 3 sets of 15@65lb

shrugs barbell 3 sets of 15@220lb

abs cable/rope crunch 3 sets

***miltary press barbell,i start off from my waist reverse grip then curl up and press,one of you lot can tell me the proper name for these?
blush.gif

still having trouble with my shoulders so im a little restricted to the types of exercises at the moment.

week 2

mon 2/07

chest

incline dumbell 3 sets of 15@100lb  done  slow and strict.

flat dumbell 3 sets of 15@100lb as above.

decline dumbell 3 sets of 15@100lb  as above.

biceps

hammers dumbell 3 sets of 15@45lb strict form.

zedbar wide grip  3 sets of 15@90lb
done.

wednesday

back

deads 3 sets of 15@300lb

rows dumbell 3 sets of 15@100lb

lat pulldowns machine 3 sets of 15@140lb  

pull overs dumbell 3 sets 15@70lb

tri's

cgb 3 sets 15@150lb

3 sets of 15@80lb

friday

legs

squats 3 sets(1 set done atg)of 15@270lb

legpress 3 sets 15@420lb

calves(on leg press machine)3 sets 20@400lb

saturday

shoulders

seated dumbells hammer style 3 sets of 15@75lb

military press barbell***  3 sets 15,12,8@110lb

rear laterals/row hybrid 3 sets of 15@65lb

shrugs barbell 3 sets of 15@260lb

week 3

mon 9/07

chest

incline dumbell 3 sets of 10@100lb  done  slow and strict.

flat dumbell 3 sets of 10@110lb as above.

decline dumbell 3 sets of 10@110lb  

biceps

hammers dumbell 3 sets of 10@55lb

zedbar wide grip  3 sets of 10@100lb
done.

wednesday

back

deads 3 sets of 10@360lb

rows dumbell 3 sets of 10@100lb

lat pulldowns machine 3 sets of 1@170lb  

pull overs dumbell 3 sets 10@70lb

tri's

cgb 3 sets 10@170lb

3 sets of 10@100lb

friday

legs

squats 3 sets(1 set done atg)of 10@330lb

legpress 3 sets 10@500lb

calves(on leg press machine)3 sets 15@420lb

saturday

shoulders

seated dumbells hammer style 3 sets of 10@90lb

military press barbell seated type 3 sets 10@180lb

rear laterals/row hybrid 3 sets of 10@75lb

shrugs barbell 3 sets of 10@280lb

jeez writing all this stuff out after the fact is a pain,maybe i should keep upto date next time lol.

week 4

mon 16/07

chest

incline dumbell 3 sets of 10@110lb  done  slow and strict.

flat dumbell 3 sets of 10@120lb as above.

decline dumbell 3 sets of 10@120lb  

biceps

hammers dumbell 3 sets of 10@55lb

zedbar swapped for chins so body weight 10@220lbs

im trying to nail down my diet alittle more,but im in limbo at the moment as i want to cut alittle for my holiday,when originally i was bulking.and i much prefer to go one way or the other as i find it confuses things.

today is wednesday
rock.gif
duh.

well shoulders are aching from the heavy workout yesterday.

ok some diet stuff,i will add in what i plan to eat throughout the day.

8 a.m breakfast consisted of 6 eggs(2 yolks) and beans,i try to eat something every couple of hours as otherwise my stomach begins to gripe.

10am cottage cheese and rivta(cardboard type snack)

12pm chicken breast and basmati rice.banana

i have protien shakes twice a day usually consisting of 1 pint of semi-skimmed milk,1 banana,2 eggs and half a cup of oats.

230pm protein shake.

5pm lamb and vegatables,followed by fruit.

7pm protein shake minus oats and banana.

9pm 60g tub of cottage cheese,couple of glasses of wine,ok ok 3 glasses.

some history:

im just not built for strength
sad.gif
 and i will hold my hand up to this,although i have done fairly well,the reality is i dont have fantastic genetics(unlike my bro-inlaw)and its been a very long struggle to get where iam now.i was around 160 at the age of 21 and decided to try weight lifting with limited success,due to lack of knowledge,so inevitabliy i packed it in.

a few years later i met a freind who was into lifting and gave it another go,but i was stop and start from the begining often having 6-8 month breaks at a time,which was a waste really.it wasnt until i hit 30 that i started to lift a little more seriously.then not long after i found this site and took it from there.

in the past id slog my guts out in the gym with constant sets to failure,assisted reps and heavy low reps,but still the weight went on painfully slow.
once i adjusted my diet started to experiment with other training programs,i found that things were falling into place.

once i got into hst i definitley noticed a big difference,both in my attitude to lifting and in gaining weight.
some of you may know that last year i did a test cycle,which went really well,i was pleased with the results,but after careful consideration i decided that it would be my only cycle apart from a short nandrolone cycle.
reason being is that i like my hair too much(vanity?hell yeah!)and not to mention i didnt like the unwanted hairgrowth i got with test.but most of all,im looking to start a family soon and although i have done extensive research into steroids and dont worry about their side effects too much,im just not willing to jeopardise our efforts into baby making
biggrin.gif

anywho i have no interest in competing and im finally getting close to the goals i set from the beggining so i just need some fine tuning and 10%bf to achieve them
smile.gif

Some great numbers for deads and squats there Lcars. That's a lot of work. Considering that you did 30 reps with 330lbs for squats how are you going to approach 5s? Are you going to stick to 3 sets and drop reps or are you going to up the sets for a bit more volume?

thanks Lol.
more often than not i fall a couple of reps shy on squats on the 2nd and 3rd set.but coming from a background of high volume,dont tend to miss that often.

i also drop a set of deads on occasion when im going heavy with high reps.my squat however has improved greatly this year as ive been sticking to it.working from 20 reps down,and pushing harder than ever(my legs are naturally skinny).

as far as volume,im not sure i was just going to stick to 3 sets and push heavy,but im begining to realise that ive overlooked total reps in the past,maybe ill look at that when i get to the 5's.

6 sets totaling 30 reps though ouch thats brutal.any suggestions Lol?

Take all this with a pinch of salt:

For legs, I think if I was hitting them once a week I'd start off the 5s with 20 reps (4 sets) per exercise and take it from there, perhaps dropping down to sets of 3 or less after the first set once the loads are around your 5RM (eg. something like 5, 3, 3, 2, 2). I don't think I'd drop below 15 total reps per exercise unless I carried on incrementing the loads past 5RM.

For the last few cycles, during 5s, I've been adding a final set of 10 reps with my 15RM and going as fast as possible (concentric) while keeping good form. So that means around 15 total reps with my heavier working load and then the 10 lighter power reps. I have no idea whether this is really beneficial or not but it gives me a great pump, which I don't get from the heavy sets alone. It definitely helps to keep the level of work done per session higher but by doing only 10 reps I'm not pushing my fatigue levels too high. Seeing that you do more leg exercises you may feel that the heavy sets are enough.

ok Lol.

last cycle i was doing 2 sets of 5 parallel and then 2 sets of 5-10 atg to finish off,and i think this is what has pushed my squat up more noticably,combining the 2.i then did leg press for 2 sets only.

yeah i might fit this in to adjust my total reps for 5's,thanks for your input Lol.

wednesday

back

deads 3 sets of 10@400lb

rows dumbell 3 sets of 10@110lb

lat pulldowns machine swapped for wide grip chins 3 sets of 10@220lb

pull overs dumbell 3 sets 10@8100lb

tri's

cgb 3 sets 10@200lb

3 sets of 10@110lb

deads were a real grueller yesterday,i dropped a coulple of reps on the last set.i really need to get some chalk now,as the hot weather is making me lose grip,im not ready to give into straps yet.

must have got the rows bang on as my upper back and lats are feeling sore.

ive been off work this week and the extra rest has helped me hit the gym harder,which is a good thing.
not looking forward to next week slogging my guts out again.

i wish i had someone to prepare all my meals for me.as im lazy when it comes to cooking.even though im able.the wife works fulltime so she cant do it.when i read some of the diets posted up other boards i just dont know how they do it.some of them must spend £200(380$ish) a week on food.i mean 3-4 portions of chicken,salmon,steak and fresh fish,everyday not including the side orders and supps.jesus plus many of them run aas or gh.not only that but having the time to prepare all of the meals also.

anyway its time for a protein shake.

''i wish i had someone to prepare all my meals for me.as im lazy when it comes to cooking.even though im able.the wife works fulltime so she cant do it.when i read some of the diets posted up other boards i just dont know how they do it.some of them must spend £200(380$ish) a week on food.i mean 3-4 portions of chicken,salmon,steak and fresh fish,everyday not including the side orders and supps.jesus plus many of them run aas or gh.not only that but having the time to prepare all of the meals also.
''

I tend to make a BIG portion of food first thing in the morning, put what I dont eat of that in the fridge, and eat it all day.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So that means around 15 total reps with my heavier working load and then the 10 lighter power reps. I have no idea whether this is really beneficial or not but it gives me a great pump, which I don't get from the heavy sets alone. It definitely helps to keep the level of work done per session higher but by doing only 10 reps I'm not pushing my fatigue levels too high.</div>
I do this myself sometimes in order to make sure that I increase both the load AND the total work done during the course of a cycle.

friday

legs

squats 3 sets(1 set done atg)of 10@350lb

legpress 3 sets 10@530lb

calves(on leg press machine)3 sets 15@420lb

saturday

shoulders

seated dumbells hammer style 3 sets of 10@100lb

military press barbell seated type 2 sets 10@200lb

rear laterals/row hybrid 3 sets of 10@85lb

shrugs barbell 3 sets of 10@300lb