Mad Sniggel 5x5

I dont post very often on this forum any longer.

I am going to compete the 28th november as well as 5-6 december. I am in very good shape already* (last picture is a bit "smooth" compared to what I look like now) and took a PR on the leg press the other day (12*748 pounds, weighing 155 pounds).
I will try to become as ripped as possible, its my only chance to impress the judges, most guys will be bigger than me, just like last time I competed.

* bf lower right now than last time I competed, and I am still planning to lose fat slowly over the weeks up to competition.

Glad things are going well with your prep Sniggel. All the best for the contest.

What body-weight and bf did you enter at last time and what are you aiming for this time?

I'll be interested to hear about your experience and results in trying to get ripped, without the use of drugs to help you hold on to lean mass. From my reading around on different fora, it would seem that a lot depends on your genetics once you reach the point where your bf levels are below 10%.

Thanks lol.

Last time (2 years ago) I weighed in at 70, not sooo ripped:
fls_071209.jpg

I currently actually weigh in on the same weight, in better condition right now than last time. Its amazing how much fat you do have on your body, its often more than you think
tounge.gif

A lot of areas on my body have been easier to shed fat (almost effortless) than before. I still do battle with thighs (mostly the backside) and my glutes are the place where I accumulate most fat. I want to at least continue my diet until I can see some definition on my glutes.
Lower ab fat is long gone. The thickness there is as thick as upper ab fat, maybe around 5-8mm on average.

Its been a lot easier to diet this time (I have almost zero mental challenges following my current diet) and I think its because of the following:

* I know how to reduce calories and still provide the right amount of macro and micronutrients to perform and feel well.

* I know how to train without destroying myself during a caloric deficit.

* Green tea
smile.gif

Makes it easier to eat leass calories, can also be used in case you feel low in energy, which of course can happen on a diet sometimes.

* Cardiovascular shape. I made sure I got into it before I started the diet. This means I do some type of cardio at least once a week, year round. On average I do more than once a week though. The good thing about this is that you can tolerate more training (more recovery between workouts, more adapted to do cardio (obviously)) on a calorie restriction AND you will spend more calories when on the threadmill (or whatever equipment you use).

The last part you say about reaching a certain bf% and having trouble losing fat mass without a good amount of muscle too - I find that that bf% is much lower for me this time around. I can probably only guess, but thats what I will do:

* I have different diet habits even when not on a controlled diet.

* I eat more filling and nutritous foods overall, less calorie dense foods low in micronutrients (like candy/chocolate and so on).

*I have taken fish oil regularly for 2½ year which might contribute.

I have experienced a lot with protein intake over the years and I have gone from "dunno how much is optimal" to "ok, high is very important on a diet" to "Hmm, I´m not sure anymore". At the moment I eat around 160g protein/day, which is very low compared to what I did before on a diet. 20-30g of these are EAA/BCAA, which might make up for the "lower" amount.
Why my opinions have changed a lot with regards to protein might be because there could have been other factors (like too much training or too much calorie restriction) that made me get worse results in some months, and not the (relatively) lower protein intake I happened to had in that month.
Still, I am not sure what protein intake is optimal for me on a diet (or a mass phase for that matter, but it probably is lower).

Another interesting thing I could tell you about is Intermittent Fasting. I dont know if you have read about it before but its an eating style very opposite to the traditional style (you know the 6-8 meals approach) of eating to maintain muscle mass and lose fat.

Intermittent Fasting and its said effects has a lot of research to back it up (as well as people making success with it) while the 6-8 meals approach and its said effects (raising metabolism more than few meals, making sure you dont lose muscle because of constant supply) have no backup in science.

Ok there is probably one study that says 6 "meals" are better than 3. This was a study on boxers who dieted on liquid protein. One group got 3 drinks a day and the other got 6. Both groups got the same protein and caloric intake in total. The group with 6 meals maintained more muscle as they lost weight. Try to find studies where real food is used and you will see that there seems to be no difference between few meals and many meals, as long as macronutrients and calories are the same.

Anyway...

IF means you eat your calories around trainign mostly. The "standard approach" is a small meal pre-wo, a huge binge post-wo, and maybe one more meal before bed (to meet the caloric needs). All meals eaten within about 8 hours. Then you sleep and dont eat again for another 16 hours.

I have found that IF makes it easier to diet (for me). It suppresses hunger during the fast (yes, that might be hard to believe if you havent tried this approach before). It enhances mental clarity during the fast, yes probably also very hard to believe, but it does that for many people who have tried it. I perform better when I study (I get MUCH more work done and I dont get "tired in my head" after several hours of thinking) if I dont eat, compared to when I have a steady breakfast.

I havent used IF as the only way of dieting because I have had problems with performing physically when its time for workouts. I have adjusted the portions pre-wo to see if I need a bigger meal, which I seem to do (this has nothing to do with glycogen stores which are filled the day before, its more related with blood pressure and stimulating CNS that might explain why I perform better afer a medium- or larged-sized meal).
That, or it could just be that I am dieting and should accept some performance loss eventually.

Some reading about Intermittent Fasting:
http://avidityfitness.net/2008/01/12/interview-martin-berkhan/
www.leangains.com

Hey Sniggel, thanks for all the info. Very interesting.

I have read quite a few articles and a lot of posts by Martin Berkhan over the last year or so. As you probably know, he posts regularly over on Lyle's forum (Monkey Island) and has discussed IF at great length with Lyle. I haven't tried IF yet myself but I will definitely give it a shot next time I get around to having to shift some fat.

All the very best with the last phase of your dieting. I look forward to seeing some new contest pics for a comparison - although I'm not fussed about seeing the ripped glutes. I'll take your word for that!
laugh.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Oct. 12 2009,10:20)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hey Sniggel, thanks for all the info. Very interesting.

I have read quite a few articles and a lot of posts by Martin Berkhan over the last year or so. As you probably know, he posts regularly over on Lyle's forum (Monkey Island) and has discussed IF at great length with Lyle. I haven't tried IF yet myself but I will definitely give it a shot next time I get around to having to shift some fat.

All the very best with the last phase of your dieting. I look forward to seeing some new contest pics for a comparison - although I'm not fussed about seeing the ripped glutes. I'll take your word for that!  
laugh.gif
</div>
5 weeks out or so
smile.gif

db_091017_70.jpg
abs_091017_70.jpg

looks good sniggle. your real lean for still having 5 more weeks to go. even your quads are coming in which for many is just about the last thing to lean out.

very nice work and good luck.

Well done Sniggel. Hope the next one goes well.

You should give yourself a pat on the back. What you've managed to achieve is fantastic and you evidently lost out to the others not on conditioning but just a bit of muscle mass.

I had a look through more of the pics for the 70kg weight class at this link:

http://www.muscle.se/gallery/index.php?gallery_sindex=0

Few questions: What was your contest body-weight compared to your 5-weeks out pics?

Because lighting and tanning can make things appear different to reality, it's not easy to tell how much things changed over the last 5 weeks of your prep. It looks to me like like your condition improved a little but not a great deal from the 5-weeks out pics. Did you feel like you were carrying a bit more water under your skin than you would have liked? It looks like you may have lost a little vascularity because of this.

I'd be interested to hear how you handled the last few days of contest prep, carbing up etc.

Anyway, well done again!

<div>
(Lol @ Dec. 01 2009,9:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Well done Sniggel. Hope the next one goes well.

You should give yourself a pat on the back. What you've managed to achieve is fantastic and you evidently lost out to the others not on conditioning but just a bit of muscle mass.

I had a look through more of the pics for the 70kg weight class at this link:

http://www.muscle.se/gallery/index.php?gallery_sindex=0

Few questions: What was your contest body-weight compared to your 5-weeks out pics?

Because lighting and tanning can make things appear different to reality, it's not easy to tell how much things changed over the last 5 weeks of your prep. It looks to me like  like your condition improved a little but not a great deal from the 5-weeks out pics. Did you feel like you were carrying a bit more water under your skin than you would have liked? It looks like you may have lost a little vascularity because of this.

I'd be interested to hear how you handled the last few days of contest prep, carbing up etc.

Anyway, well done again!</div>
Thanks. Yes I guess it was the muscle mass, and probably bad color (too light) same problem as last competition. My skin wont absorb it.

To answer the bold:
I lost 1½ kg since last picture. So that isnt very much and from all the places around my body were I look for signs of improvement I noticed a couple of changes and on competition day I actually was my hardest.
I just think the color didnt help me much, in the mirror I looked harder before the color.

I have bought another color for the next show, dream tan, that is very popular but also expensive.

I also expeced to lean out much more the last 1½ kg. thats why i took it easy the last weeks. But I havent been this lean before and you never know just how much it takes to get really ripped.

I am a bit tired atm from speeding up the fat loss this week so I´ll tell you about the loading process another time. its called skiploading though and is the first method I tried that actually works as it is supposed to!

New pictures

Im the one furthest to the right for those who do not recognize me with all the colour
smile.gif

http://www.muscle.se/gallery/index.php?gallery_submenu=484

I placed in 8th (of 9). Its tough to compete against all those big guys but I am impressed with my own results. I was in the best shape of my life so far.

And most importantly, it was a very fun weekend, I had a great time and most of the competitors and people I met were nice.

Back