Max-Stim questions

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Oct. 10 2008,8:29)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but I've gained ten pounds and have grown a nice set of lats, so I am not complaining.</div>
Lats are sexy
biggrin.gif

Seriously now, 10 lbs? Cool

<div>
(bigbri @ Oct. 10 2008,5:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks Dan.
Dan, is 10 reps for 5s going to be enough volume?</div>
Personally.......no I don't but at times we have to be a little cautious or risk some chronic joint issues.

What I would do is try the 15 reps and see how it goes, if you feel the muscle has been worked and 15 was absolutely not doable then then next time try 12 or 13. Adjust as needed with whatever intensity you are currently working with to find that sweet spot.

If we all had labs in our Gym and could do some tests on ourselves then some (not all) of the guess work would be eliminated. But since most don't you kinda have to wing it sometimes.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Oct. 11 2008,3:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If we all had labs in our Gym and could do some tests on ourselves then some (not all) of the guess work would be eliminated. But since most don't you kinda have to wing it sometimes.</div>
Yeah, we need some of the new guys to volunteer for biopsies...

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Dan, is 10 reps for 5s going to be enough volume?

Personally.......no I don't but at times we have to be a little cautious or risk some chronic joint issues.</div>

I started pyramiding my weight to keep volume up and joint wear down. seems to really help.

I've been speculating alot about volume lately

would some of you max stim vets mind posting sample routines?

not a criticism but a curiosity...

as I realize things are flexible, but the alternating A/B routine seems very high volume if done 4X a week. is this because max stim allows for better fatigue management---> higher volume is manageable?

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Oct. 13 2008,4:56)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">would some of you max stim vets mind posting sample routines?

as I realize things are flexible, but the alternating A/B routine seems very high volume if done 4X a week. is this because max stim allows for better fatigue management---> higher volume is manageable?</div>
To be fair to Dan, I am hardly a Max-Stim &quot;vet&quot;. I have relied heavily on a primary HST principle: you can tweak anything. Things are, as you say, &quot;flexible&quot;. Thus, my routine is based on Max-Stim like some movies are based on Shakespeare...

The three phases of the Max-Stim routine use percentages of your rep maxes: 10RM, 8RM, and 6RM, with workouts set at percentages increasing 5% each workout, from 75% to 110%.

I use a modified Simplify &amp; Win routine (I was never able to understand how to do the exercises that Dan recommended...).

A:
Squat
Bench
Row

B:
Deads
Chin
Dip

with a bunch of isos for bis, tris, and legs thrown in while the weights are still fairly light. When things start to get heavy, the isos are dropped out.

I start with an M-time between repetitions of about 3 to 5 seconds. During the 20 rep set, I begin to increase the M-time as needed, usually adding about one second for every additional rep. Thus, for the final few repetitions, my M-time is often 20 seconds or more between reps (for 110% of my 8RM, my M-time often approached 30 seconds).

During Phase I, four workouts per week were not all that difficult. However, once I began to approach the end of Phase II (and no doubt the end of Phase III will be similar) I found the increasing work to be more than I was able to handle. For example, 110% of my 8RM amounted to about 90% of my 1RM. I thought 20 reps of that (even with a 30 second M-time) was a lot.

However, information on Dan's old Max-Stim site made it clear that, while 4xwk is preferable, 3xwk or even 2xwk is enough when the loads start getting heavy. Thus I cut back to 2xwk for my final few workouts of Phase II, and I intend to do the same for the finish of Phase III.

very cool. thank you TR

(BTW when you are doing 4X week, how do you split that up?

Mon A
Tues B
Weds off
Thurs A
Fri off
Sat B

something like that? no trouble hitting chest two days in a row for example? I guess not when its lighter loads... )

yeah I've been reading Dan's e book and i'm like...really I get to do upper/lower in one work out, AND workout 4 X a week! yay! (I'm a volume junkie) lol...

but I can't seem to make sense of that being doable for a genetically average chump like myself that is afraid of needles
smile.gif

I've opted to just drop max stim (with slight modifications ala mikey noy and blades ideas) into Lyles generic bulking routine (which essentially one of the variations that Dan says make sense in the book I believe (upper/lower split) ).

As a start I'm thinking in terms of 40 reps per big groups (across two exercises) and 20 for little guys (across one exercise). We'll see how it goes.

I'm sure I'm missing something, as Dan as razor sharp and precise as far as I know his thinking/writing.

<div>
(beingisbeing @ Oct. 14 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">(BTW when you are doing 4X week, how do you split that up?

Mon A
Tues B
Weds off
Thurs A
Fri off
Sat B
</div>
Yup
<div>
(beingisbeing @ Oct. 14 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">no trouble hitting chest two days in a row for example? I guess not when its lighter loads... )
</div>
Nope
<div>
(beingisbeing @ Oct. 14 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">yeah I've been reading Dan's e book and i'm like...really I get to do upper/lower in one work out, AND workout 4 X a week! yay! (I'm a volume junkie)
</div>
Except that on his forum, Dan pointed out that twice a week is fine, too.
<div>
(beingisbeing @ Oct. 14 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">but I can't seem to make sense of that being doable for a genetically average chump like myself that is afraid of needles
</div>
I am as far from genetically average as you are likely to find. I stand 5'3&quot; on a good day. After gaining more than ten pounds, I still only weigh 144 lbs (or as Lol would say, just over ten stone  
wink.gif
).
<div>
(beingisbeing @ Oct. 14 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I've opted to just drop max stim (with slight modifications ala mikey noy and blades ideas) into Lyles generic bulking routine (which essentially one of the variations that Dan says make sense in the book I believe (upper/lower split) ).

As a start I'm thinking in terms of 40 reps per big groups (across two exercises) and 20 for little guys (across one exercise). We'll see how it goes.
</div>
Yeah, I fooled around using M-time in an extension of my HST fives. Eventually it occurred to me that I really ought to try it the way Dan has it set up. I've gotten great results.
<div>
(beingisbeing @ Oct. 14 2008,11:18)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm sure I'm missing something, as Dan as razor sharp and precise as far as I know his thinking/writing.</div>
Yup, you might want to try it his way...

I have tried MS with just about every conceivable exercise and some lend themselves to MS quite well, other not so well.

To name few here:

BB Sholder Press -Works fine if intitial height of bar is set to high (just below Arm length)

BB Bench -same as above

Curls - all types, works fine

Flys - not so good as reracking is not doable in some machines but with a Pec Dec it's fine.

Leg Ext/Leg Curls - Very doable

Sqauts - doable but not recommended

DL- very doable

Rows - very doable

Pull downs/Chin Ups - very doable

Tri Pressdowns (cable) - very doable

Lat/Chest Pullover - doable if you set up a stop behind your head but still not recommended due to shoulder strain in some folks

Crunches all kinds - very doable

Notes: with most pressing movements you need to start with eccentric portion of the lift first, use a controlled speed, do not bounce at the bottom (try a half second or so pause), use as fast as possible concentric portion of the lift.

Squats can be done but they are a pain and may even be dangerous so don't do them if you feel unsure or unsteady, Deads would be a better alternative.

Dips are missing from Dan's examples list but I had to mention them because I find they work really well with Max-Stim.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Nov. 21 2008,11:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squats can be done but they are a pain and may even be dangerous so don't do them if you feel unsure or unsteady, Deads would be a better alternative.</div>
All the racking and re-racking for squats is indeed a pain. However, I just incorporate my re-racking time into my M-time (and still manage to keep total time between reps below 30 seconds).

And, yeah, unsure or unsteady is dangerous. I have to remind myself to maintain proper form each rep.

Deadlifts were made for Max-Stim!!

I've had a lot of luck using the Pec-Dec for my flys as well. The primary difficulty I've had there is that the machine available to me has rather high increments. Thus I've had to use the same weight for two (or even three) consecutive workouts.

<div>
(Dan Moore @ Nov. 21 2008,11:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have tried MS with just about every conceivable exercise and some lend themselves to MS quite well, other not so well.

To name few here:

BB Sholder Press -Works fine if intitial height of bar is set to high (just below Arm length)

BB Bench -same as above

Curls - all types, works fine

Flys - not so good as reracking is not doable in some machines but with a Pec Dec it's fine.

Leg Ext/Leg Curls - Very doable

Sqauts - doable but not recommended

DL- very doable

Rows - very doable

Pull downs/Chin Ups - very doable

Tri Pressdowns (cable) - very doable

Lat/Chest Pullover - doable if you set up a stop behind your head but still not recommended due to shoulder strain in some folks

Crunches all kinds - very doable

Notes: with most pressing movements you need to start with eccentric portion of the lift first, use a controlled speed, do not bounce at the bottom (try a half second or so pause), use as fast as possible concentric portion of the lift.

Squats can be done but they are a pain and may even be dangerous so don't do them if you feel unsure or unsteady, Deads would be a better alternative.</div>
Good post dan

just reailzed my shoulder presses have been a rep and a half because i've been starting from the bottom, concentric, all the way back down, and then half way back up to rack

maybe that's why my anterior delts are so pretty, relatively speaking lol

still can't get my goddamned traps to grow a cm though

hi dan,
i haven't spoken to you in some time. i was sorry to see the max-stim site gone, but am glad you're still here.

i wanted to tell you that i transitioned completely to max stim 6 weeks ago. prior to that max stim was used on and off, cycled w/ hit &amp; edt training.

i will be starting my 7th week of max stim tomorrow and i'm still getting stronger. i'm also about 7 lbs. heavier and love feeling strong and fresh.
using hit and training to failure, i would just feel wiped out for days after my workouts.

i now train 2 to 3x weekly for about 8-9 sets. i no longer train to failure.
the only tweak to my max stim program is in the rep speeds.
i alternate fast, controlled 20 rep sets with 3/3 10 rep sets. kind of like an A/B workout schedule.
typically, my 10 rep set at a 3/3 rep speed doubles to 20 at the fast, controlled rep speed, so it's been very easy to manage my workout log.

anyway, i wanted to stop by and say hello, and also to say thank you for all of your help and effort.

i'm really enjoying my workouts and it's a lot of fun to see some progress at my advanced age of 52. lol!

jack

Hi Jack32, I don't know if you are the same person from Darden's forum. Glad to hear your success with Max-Stim.

I've been playing with using Matrix Principles and a mutated form of Max-Stim. and find the workouts entertaining. Being at least 3 years your senior, and trying to find a workout routine that is easier on the joints/soft tissue and less likely to produce injury but still trying to improve on hypertrophy can be difficult. I found that the 10 rep range difficult over time and abandoned the idea of 5's.

I found that making the reps harder(mixing groups of partial movements ala Matrix) and using Max-Stim rests, I get great workouts not training to failure and using a safer more orthopedic friendly weight. At around six weeks I change the movement pattern to produce muscle confusion and prevent boredom. I do whole body workouts three times per week using seven movements.

Continued good luck in your workouts. I think I enjoy this forum more than Darden's. Some of those posters need a bench in the psychologist office, not the gym.

Overfiftylifter

I am into my third HST (15's cycle now, second workout), and am thinking of incorporating max-stim for chinups and pullups, doing 20 reps of 10RM.

QUESTION 1
Does anyone have thoughts on that?

I kind of did a modified max-stim, unbeknownst to me, in my last cycle by doing one rep with a pause on chins until I could do 10 reps in a row for three sets. Before I started the rest-pause technique, I couldn't do 3 reps of chinups in a row. I made those strength gains in about 3 to 4 weeks.

Max-Stim works great for chins and dips. But it's not enough just to hang and &quot;rest&quot; between reps. You need to get down off the bar and get the load off your hands completely for a few seconds. This is where the M-time comes in.
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">M-Time – The Max Factor
M-Time is the time between each rep, after each rep the weight should be racked or set down and gotten completely out of your hands for the duration of the M-Time. This time can be manipulated as advancing fatigue ensues, IE first few reps use 3-5 seconds, next 5 to 10 - use 7 seconds, during the last 5 use 10 seconds. The starting time is usually going to be dictated by your own recovery from repetitive contractions and the intensity you are using. As the cycle progresses the M-Time may need to be increased to combat the effects of fatigue from heavier loading. The ideal starting time will vary and some experimentation will probably be needed to find the adequate time to use. In any case the M-Time should be used from the very first rep.</div>

Tunnel

Yeah, that's what I did. I rested enough to be able to continue. I didn't keep track of the m-time. I just did it, knowing when my muscles were ready for action again!

Any thoughts on doing the maxstim for 20 reps for the chins throughout, while keeping the rest of the workout pure HST? And then adding weight to my belt as I hit 20 reps or so...?

Back