Protein From breads

wrestlingmark

I track my daily protein intake daily , and I always have very little room to eat other sources of protein besides my pre and post Whey(on training days), and carbohydrate proteins since my carbs are pretty high during training. I was wondering should proteins from bread, oatmeal, and rice(carbohydrate sources)count into my daily protein intake, or are they not digestible? I do not count fruit or veggie protein as they are not digestible by humans..which we all are..i think
laugh.gif

Also, should i subtract the fiber grams from the carbs I'm taking in to, to get my total daily % of carbs?

They are all digestible to humans, just in lower amounts.

the guideline 1gm/lb bodyweight is based upon a mixed diet. If count only proteins of high biological value, you will need less protein per day

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wrestlingmark @ July 03 2005,8:34)]Also, should i subtract the fiber grams from the carbs I'm taking in to, to get my total daily % of carbs?
If you are using food labels, no, don't count the fiber as part of your overall carb intake. Nevertheless, even if you did count fiber grams, it probably wouldn't amount to more than 15-20 grams unless you are eating high fiber foods intentionally. The RDA for fiber is 30g per day. Most people do not eat that much.

They are all digestible to humans, just in lower amounts.

the guideline 1gm/lb bodyweight is based upon a mixed diet. If count only proteins of high biological value, you will need less protein per day

Ok, so I'd say about 1/2 of my protein comes from carb sources, maybe more, and the other half is from meat, fish , eggs, milk and whey. So I know eggs, milk and whey have a high biological value, is this ok just to get 1/2 of about 180 g protein per day from the other than carb source? I don't know what you mean by mixed diet?

To add to the question here....in other words you guys are saying that if one eats enough high quality protein from say whey and/or meat, then all the proteins from bread, veggies, and pasta can be counted as a complete protein as well and this can add to your overall required protein intake?

I'm on a budget myself, and I take in lots of whole wheat products like bread and pasta which have a good bit of protein....also peanut butter (almost everyday for lunch).

That would save me some money to count all this as useable proteins too.
thumbs-up.gif

As it stands now.....I have been counting ONLY meats, milk, eggs, and whey as proteins I can use.

Hello all  :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To add to the question here....in other words you guys are saying that if one eats enough high quality protein from say whey and/or meat, then all the proteins from bread, veggies, and pasta can be counted as a complete protein as well and this can add to your overall required protein intake?

First, since they're all digestible, all of them are usable. To what extent depends on their BV. Meats and other high-qualtiy sources have a high BV.

When we say complete proteins, the important point there is that they contain all essential amino acids. Fruit and veggie protein are "incomplete" protein because they lack one or a few essential amino acids.

The good news there is that the body can use the amino acids separately. That is, as long as one source gives you enough of these kinds of amino acids, and another source gives you enough of a different kind of amino acids, the body can use them together to form a complete protein, as if it came from a complete protein source. (Take note that I am oversimplifying a few things here for the sake of clarity).

The point is, you can even be a vegetarian and still get 200g of complete protein a day if you know which veggies complement each other in terms of amino acids.

Knowing that, a short answer to Key of David would be: in a  way, yes. You may count them as complete protein if you already are getting lots of protein from various meats, eggs, milk, etc. When it comes to protein, quantity DOES make up for quality (I think even Bryan mentioned that somewhere), as long as you have varied protein sources (in case they are incomplete protein; but even if you stock yourself with 200g of an incomplete protein and take only one source, like tons of bread and nothing more, then that would pretty much be useless since you  are sure you'll still be lacking the amino acids not present in that one source).

Hope this helps. Good luck!  :)

Not a problem, Key of David :)

We're all in this together, this is what makes this forum fantastic. :D

Good luck, happy lifting! And as always, tell us your results!
thumbs-up.gif

-JV

remember vege proteins are not lacking amino acids. they are just low in one area compared to a standard for growth in infants. unless it is your only source of protein, its not an issue

I had heard of this, and I think I actually mentioned it to someone else in this forum, but haven't seen other bodybuilders with more experience and knowledge than me actually confirm it. Bodybuilders aren't going to say something that is going to be so-so or well maybe when it comes to diet. They can't afford to...it has to get the job done which is build muscle.

I still find it too good to be true....so I'm not going to count every single protein that I eat apart from animal products as useable protein.....but I think I could be safe with say maybe half?

Thanks for the info.

Hello Key of David :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I still find it too good to be true....so I'm not going to count every single protein that I eat apart from animal products as useable protein.....but I think I could be safe with say maybe half?

That would be perfectly fine. Although that would mean you'd
be going slightly over what you need, there's no such thing as getting too much protein (within reason of course, so be sure you also get enough of other good stuff like essential fats).

As for sounding too good to be true, well, unless more than half of your protein comes from plant protein, there's no need to worry about it. But like I said earlier, even the course of action you proposed is ok, since you'll be sure you'll getting a little more than your target protein, which is perfectly fine.

Good luck! :)
-JV

Didn't one of the articles (can't remember which one exactly at the moment) say that if your protein intake is over 15-20% of your total kcal intake, that protein synthesis actually goes down? Or something along those lines. That kind of goes against "no such thing as too much protein".
Not looking to disprove you JV, just asking for clarification if at all possible
thumbs-up.gif

Wait so if one was to eat half of their protein from complete sources, meat and such, then any other proteins from other foods would still be used to the fullest potential?

200g protein from meat = 200g protein from meat + whatever else?

There has to be a limit. Otherwise i'd have a can of tuna and a shitload of pasta or something at each meal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Didn't one of the articles (can't remember which one exactly at the moment) say that if your protein intake is over 15-20% of your total kcal intake, that protein synthesis actually goes down? Or something along those lines. That kind of goes against "no such thing as too much protein".
Not looking to disprove you JV, just asking for clarification if at all possible  

Ooops! My bad... okay, let's try to get a little bit of clarification:

Yes, of course there is a limit. That's why right after I said there's no such thing as too much protein, I immediately added a note that said "within reason". It's right there, if you reread my earlier post.

And it's not just calories. Even if you stay below the 20% mark, if you don't get enough of the other good stuff, your diet is also compromised. If you don't get enough carbs, fiber, and essential fats, all the protein in the world wouldn't do you any good.

I was merely after Key of David's personal scenario when I told him not to worry about discounting his intake of plant protein. Chances are, unless one actually literally eats 1g of complete (animal) protein for each pound he has, then discounting the relatively much fewer protein from plant protein wouldn't really be a problem. And even when one does so, unless one also eats a truckload of plant protein, the additional "complete" protein formed from all the generally "incomplete" plant protein taken in wouldn't be so significant. Again, these are just generalizations. If one actually ate 1gm of animal protein per pound of body weight, and also ate a truckload of food rich in plant protein, then that might be a problem - not just because of too much protein, but also because such a protein intensive diet might lack other necessary nutrition like essential fats. And since diet is also critical about balance, taking in too much of one aspect of a diet would mean you also have to increase your intake of other things, which makes it a pain to maintain the balance.

Sorry if I were confusing in my previous post!  
blush.gif
  I just wanted to reassure him that he could discount half the plant protein he gets, because that wouldn't amount to too much in my estimation, and would most probably not screw up the balance of his diet.

Hope this helps.  :)
- JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wait so if one was to eat half of their protein from complete sources, meat and such, then any other proteins from other foods would still be used to the fullest potential?

200g protein from meat = 200g protein from meat + whatever else?

There has to be a limit. Otherwise i'd have a can of tuna and a shitload of pasta or something at each meal.

I believe the ratio of animal (complete) protein should be at least around 60%. I was thinking more of 66.6667%, a figure I got based on the protein RDA for people who don't need much proten because they aren't athletes or bodybuilders. The RDA for such people is 60g of protein, but if you count only complete protein, the RDA actually drops down to 40g.

So yeah, you can eat a truckload of whatever food you want along with your complete protein source - that is, if protein is your only consideration. You also have to consider if that favorite food of yours is also high in basically unwanted stuff -like too much sugar, saturated fats, trans fats, etc.

But if you are sure all they contain are carbs that you want along with the incomplete protein they have, then go ahead and enjoy your favorie meal! :)

-JV

I was just curious. I never saw any reason to take the chance, i just make sure i get 1g/lb of protein from meats and so on, and any extra proteins that come from my other foods are just there.

As long as the diet is mixed with proteins from both animals and plant sources i cant see it being an issue.

Besides doesn't the quality of the protein become les of an issue as the quantity of protein is increased?

Protein Myths - Page 3

Thanks for the clear-up JV. Again, I wasn't trying to find fault with what you said; just wondering.
blush.gif

Back