R.I.P. HST

Old and Grey

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess that all the HSTers passed on to the big gym in the sky New Year's Eve. How else could you explain the total lack of activity for the last 14 days? Brian, you might as well save your sheckles and close the site. It appears that HST has died from lack of interest. R.I.P.

sad.gif

Activity or not, there's a wealth of info here for visitors to search through so it would be a shame to see this site go the same way as Dan's.

Regular articles would help draw site traffic but then someone has to be paid to write them and so you also get advertising bogging down page delivery, something that's pleasantly absent here.

I still visit the logging section regularly and keep a log myself but that too is now only supported by a few regulars.

Of course, it's all up to Bryan; maybe he will finally deliver an HST book so the site could earn a little revenue form book sales and perhaps the odd bit of training apparel.

I wonder what the boss has in mind?

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see who's bothered enough by the title of this thread to comment.
smile.gif

Wow, both threads that show up in my New Posts list are morbid. One is noticing the death of Joe Rollino and the other is this one. I recon the number of posts is down. HST is not getting the attention it deserves. Maybe it is all the competition from other programs claiming 40 POUNDZ OF DA REAL LEAN MUSCLE FAZT!

<div>
(electric @ Jan. 14 2010,1:32)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wow, both threads that show up in my New Posts list are morbid. One is noticing the death of Joe Rollino and the other is this one. I recon the number of posts is down. HST is not getting the attention it deserves. Maybe it is all the competition from other programs claiming 40 POUNDZ OF DA REAL LEAN MUSCLE FAZT!</div>
Nope, just nothing new wrt HST. The book would help a bit, but in the end this is a niche site whereas many other sites are more general and allow and encourage discussion about many different topics.

Yeah - 531/Defranco are far more exotic. I think Bryan missed a trick by not having more 'cookie cutter' routines in the articles section. Also lacking is the use of vids - even Badass's mundane exercises 'seem' better when Defranco links to 'em from his PDF. Wendler cuts down the options further and you either do it his way or ****off!
Options are great - but kids have gotten even lazyier and want spoon feeding on everything; hell, I dare say it won't be long before we see the first BB.com article detailing the what plates are needed  on each side of the bar to get a desired weight... Which will link to a T-nation interview with a leading gym's &quot;top pin-jocky&quot; and how he once broke a fingernail selecting 5kg on the benchpress stack...  
laugh.gif

That's something I always wondered. What does Bryan do all day? Is he training clients and then can't be bothered to answer anything on his own site? Or give us an update on the book?

Here's some of the things I would like to see regarding HST:

1. An official HST book with book tours and interviews on Oprah
smile.gif

2. A formal study of HST vs other programs a la results thread where variables like caloric intake and exercises are controlled.
3. Various alternatives to the cookie cutter HST program, preferably with Bryan-approved endorsement
4. Latest research on hypertrophy and an up-to-date myth buster section about working out
5. More posts from Bryan would go a long way to reassuring anyone who comes to the site

I mean, it's not like the program doesn't work. It does, it's given me more muscle than pretty much any other workout routine (haven't tried max-stim yet). I keep coming back to HST after trying everything else under the sun. I'm ending my 15s right now and I can't wait to do 10s and 5s.

It just seems that HST is losing the marketing war big time.

I still log here, although I'm strength training, or trying to.
And each night I check: Clutch, 100%RAW, SS, two Harley forums, Cyclefish, Meetups.com, and at least 3 green energy sites. Hopefully, my research buds don't want to chat on Skype.
3 hours later I may have my mail checked.
I'm sure some of you others have this net addiction too - and equally ticked wives...
sad.gif

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 16 2010,1:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">...others have this net addiction too - and equally ticked wives...
sad.gif
</div>
Hang on she's sat on the sofa next to me - I'll ask her...

click clack clicketty clack

Damn, all I get is her out of office reply
rock.gif

One thing I did suggest way back, was a sort of weekly 'round-up' of questions asked on the forum, members answers to them and Bryan's own view in a sort of end of week report styly.  
smile.gif

Edit: Surely his/HST followers deserve a couple of hours input from the man 'imself.

Hi,

Well, I may not have much to offer, in the way of intelligent debate, or scientific know-how - but I do enjoy still reading and learning from the really experienced guys on here... too many to name...

and it would be a huge shame if this site did stop.

I used to use Cyberpump and Ellington Dardens HIT sites, but that was all before I discovered HST back in 2002.
I have never looked back.

So thanks again, Bryan, for bringing this site and info to us... and long may it stay

Best wishes

Brix

Well my 3 cents.

The majority of regulars here have been here for a while, and although may or maynot be experts they know by now how to set up a routine and get gains regardless of what you want to call it.

So that being said the regulars here pretty much have 2 options help noobies decifer through the science stuff and put it in laman terms (which helped me 5 years ago)....or they can talk amongst themselves about the NEW research and studies and how to make a GREAT routine Even better...which is really just wanking over very small bits of information and research.

The problem is there is not a lot of new material hitting this site. You have to go over to BR.com or others to see more indepth question and answer posts.

The thing about hst forum that I liked over the other forums was the level of respect and politeness that was shared amongst the community here.

There is a lot more knowledge at the moment at other sites than this...but none of them are as user friendly IMO.

Yeah, I can't disagree.

All of us that have been here a while know how to set things up, sometimes we ourselves &quot;fall off the boat&quot; for a while, life you know!

But we come back, HST cann;t die, it would be a great shame, this is the real McCoy, but not the end all of things, thereis a lot of other stuff out there including life, which sometimes requires great periods of absence!

Boss...where's that book? Time to come out with it!
biggrin.gif

one of the reasons i left this site was the resounding 'wanking' of studies i could not make head or tail of
biggrin.gif

try as i might there were many things i just could not get my head around.

even when you asked the regular more scientific posters to explain what we were reading, ( especially dan) you got an even more confusing answer half the time.
biggrin.gif

things that could /would make the site better:

updated studies to back hst, and explaintions as to why new studies dont; back hst. i.e. loads of frequency studies showing no difference between 2 and 3 days a week.

as it seems the front/vanilla guide hasn;t been updated since it was typed.

more studies in the reserch section ( with layman explainations of course
tounge.gif
)

<div>
(DRAGON @ Jan. 17 2010,7:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">one of the reasons i left this site was the resounding 'wanking' of studies i could not make head or tail of  
biggrin.gif

try as i might there were many things i just could not get my head around.

even when you asked the regular more scientific posters to explain what we were reading, ( especially dan) you got an even more confusing answer half the time.  
biggrin.gif

things that could /would make the site better:

updated studies to back hst, and explaintions as to why new studies dont; back hst. i.e. loads of frequency studies showing no difference between 2 and 3 days a week.

as it seems the front/vanilla guide hasn;t been updated since it was typed.

more studies in the reserch section ( with layman explainations of course  
tounge.gif
 )</div>
I feel your pain...I felt like this many times over the years and had to ask redundent questions (sorry guys
biggrin.gif
).

So that being said this is the cliff notes of what I have learned over the years here and other places.

This is really all you need to know IMo to make great gains.

1) Work each bodypart 2 times a week, or 3 if doing HST.

2) Large muscle groups (Chest,Back,Legs) get 40 to 50 total reps twice a week. Or 80 to 100 total reps per week. HST does this over 3 days so volume is adjusted.

3) Make sure you are increasing the weight on the bar over time.

4)None of the above means crap unless you are eating enough calories and protein.

That's really all you need to know IMO to make gains for years!

Hi Old and Grey,

Don't talk like that...I completely understand that if there isn't an infusion of energy/activity these kinds of boards will of course go the way of the dodo.

The board is currently being revamped. One of the reasons this one has bene struggling is that spam bots killed it. They clogged the registration function and as a result, people can only participate if they email me directly.

I promise this site as well as HST will soon feel relevant again.

In the mean time, don't give up yet. I have made a lot of lifelong friends because of this board. So please, keep posting, chatting, ranting, being sarcastic, or even offering helpful information. There are many more people listening than you realize.

-bryan

-bryan

<div>
(slowgrower @ Jan. 15 2010,1:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"></div>
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's something I always wondered. What does Bryan do all day? Is he training clients and then can't be bothered to answer anything on his own site?</div>

Currently I work full time for a company called NextFit. That's how I pay the bills. I have never made any money from HST or this website. Even when I was running HSN, it never got up to speed to the point that I could take a check. In fact, I'm still paying on the bank loans for that business...

I also work as adjunct faculty at the University where I live. I teach Nutrition 5380 (a course on the dietary supplement industry)

I also write freelance for a number of magazines on weekends.

So yes, I am very busy working. I need to spend most of my time doing things that generate income so I can support the wife and 4 kids as well as pay off school loans, SBA loans, etc, etc.

I'm saying this so anybody feels sorry for me, I just want people to know that i'm in the same boat as most of us...working hard to make ends meet, and never feeling like I have enough free time to do the things I love (like build this site and support its members)

I hate to say anything about the book because by now I sound like a broken record. I just haven't had enough time to get it wrapped up...

Thanks for putting us all in the picture Bryan. It's great to hear that you have plans for the board; a revamp will be well received I'm sure.

Life sure is a constant struggle. You forgot to say that you also have to take some time to do a bit of training yourself! Hope that's going well.

Back