R.I.P. HST

<div>
(leegee38 @ Feb. 26 2010,1:47)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Bryan Haycock @ Feb. 24 2010,5:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'll do 3x10 of my primary exercise for a given muscle and then maybe at 2 more of an auxiliary exercise. For example, for chest I would do 3x10 of incline press and then add a couple sets of dips to finish things off. That puts me about 50 reps per muscle per workout.</div>
But do you still shoot for 50 reps when you are in your 5s?  A few years ago it seems like everyone on this board gravitated towards equal work in each rep range.  Since I did NOT get that impression from your original write up I'm curious to know how you approach it now.  Thanks, Bryan!</div>
Highly doubtful, leegee38. Bryan's reply was in answer to the question &quot;... during a week of 10's...how many total reps do you normally shoot for?&quot;

50 reps for each muscle group in the 5s, for each session, would probably kill a large gorilla!
smile.gif
Of course, a large gorilla might not hold a candle to Bryan so who knows?
tounge.gif

Just my guess, but a similar number of sets would be more likely, so maybe 3 x 5 for the primary exercise and possibly 2 more of the auxiliary exercise? 25 total reps per muscle group would seem more doable but it would still be a lot by the end of the 5s.

Leegee,

A lot of the labcoat guys think that you  need to hit a minimum volume of 40-60 reps twice a week.

However the labcoats also go on to say that it could be as low as 25 total reps if the loads are heavy.

They say this is what is consider OPTIMAL for hypertrophy.

Obviously for strength you  could get by with less I assume.

If you do some reading of Lyle Macdonald work ( he's a genious) and Blade (who use to post here) they both really like the idea of the 40-60 reps twice a week.

Again heavy ...heavy loads you can do less (see DC training )

I will say this and I am speaking to myself on this...If we all paid attention to proper nutrition and excess calories as much as we do the training research we would make better gains...IMO.

You also can consider that PL's lift heavy lowrep *(mostly)* and pretty much bulk a lot. They gain muscle despite the 8-10 rep range considered optimal for hypertrophy. They often don't develop some things like calves, or delts like BB'ers, but once you cut the fat off them, it's pretty muscular.

Quad is correct.

The hardest part about lifting IMO for a natural key word being NATURAL is having the daily grind of life and trying to keep your body in an anabolic surplus of calories and protein daily.

It seems the best gains of everyone life is when they are young...which it seems mother nature does it thing at a young age regarless of nutrition.

<div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Feb. 26 2010,7:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quad is correct.

The hardest part about lifting IMO for a natural key word being NATURAL is having the daily grind of life and trying to keep your body in an anabolic surplus of calories and protein daily.

It seems the best gains of everyone life is when they are young...which it seems mother nature does it thing at a young age regarless of nutrition.</div>
If you like milk, it can be your friend for bulking. If it wasn't for good old milk, I would find it much more difficult to get all the cals I need each day to grow a little.

<div>
(Lol @ Feb. 26 2010,9:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(Joe.Muscle @ Feb. 26 2010,7:59)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Quad is correct.

It seems the best gains of everyone life is when they are young...which it seems mother nature does it thing at a young age regarless of nutrition.</div>
If you like milk, it can be your friend for bulking. If it wasn't for good old milk, I would find it much more difficult to get all the cals I need each day to grow a little.</div>
biggrin.gif
Amen brother.

You are right some of my best gains came back when I was drinking 9 glasses of skim milke a day and eating 3 protein bars a day.

I was Thick and broke!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Old and Grey @ Feb. 27 2010,12:45)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I hate milk!      
mad.gif

But I love Ice Cream!      
biggrin.gif
</div>
I love both...  and cottage cheese...  and yoghurt... and good ol' Devonshire clotted cream! One day I hope to get my own cow
biggrin.gif

Clotted cream? We have something like that, I think: it's called curdled milk, otherwise known as buttermilk...at least that's about what I think of it.
I can replace water with 2%, I like it so much.
My experiment with not working very much this winter and training regular has been a boon to strength, but without cardio I've lost GCC. I'm taking care of that now, with the hickory log splitting I have to do. Gaining weight has been pretty easy and I've just been eating my former maintenance.

Clotted cream with jam on scones. That's living!
biggrin.gif

I don't like milk because it leaves me thirstier than before I drank it.
sad.gif

<div>
(Lol @ Feb. 27 2010,8:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">One day I hope to get my own cow
biggrin.gif
</div>
Lol is going to eat a cow...?

Why am I not surprised?
laugh.gif

<div>
(AnatolyR @ Mar. 03 2010,8:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nice discussion</div>
First, welcome to the board AnatolyR.

Second, I think the discussion has sort of deteriorated...
biggrin.gif

Thanks, Bryan.
I wonder if it's right place to write my thoughts about future of HST, but I'll try any way.
I think that in some stage any trainee needs more volume for each body-part to develop.
Since basic HST setup is full-body workouts and most of us can't spend more then 3 times a week in a gym
I think that the solution might be moving to body-part specialization
I was thinking about template for such specialization and it might be looked as
1-3 exercises for prioritized muscle group 3-2 times a week standard HST cycle.
Any other groups trained for maintenance with 1-2 sets once in 5-7 days (not HST).
For example, such specialization for deltoids might looks like this:

3 times a week
1)Seated press 2-3x(15,10,5)
2)Lateral raises 2-3x(15,10,5)
3)reverse fly's 2-3x(15,10,5)

Monday
4)chest: fly's/bench press/dips
5)biceps

Wednesday
4)lats chins/pull-down/...
5)triceps

Friday
4)Legs: squat/leg press/...
5)calves

For arms:
1)close grip bench press 2x(15,10,5)
2)biceps curls 2x(15,10,5)
3)triceps extensions 2x(15,10,5)
4)biceps 2x(15,10,5)

Monday
4)chest: fly's/bench press/dips
5)deltoids:

Wednesday
4)lats chins/pull-down/...
5)more lats

Friday
4)Legs: squat/leg press/...
5)calves

Wonder what you guys thinking about this setup.

P.S. Some friend of mine in other forum now use deltoids specialization by this setup

Thanks

Back