SCI's HST cycle

You're alternating OH press with curls? If you dropped it because you are benching, I understand, but curls? I would switch and do bench after squats. either that or do push presses instead with more weight than your OH press.

I cannot do all the upper body work AND do overhead presses 3 times/week for 30 reps and progress the loads to 94% of 1rm, that would be seriously overtraining the deltoids.  Curls are a good exercise, since the biceps are not worked nearly as much as triceps in my compounds.

Right now my front deltoids are so sore they feel bruised when I touch them. Also a new frequency study Dan listed on hypertrophy-research.com shows that 3 times/week is not necessarily superior to lower frequency as long as the total volume/week is maintained.

All exercises done clustered to 30 reps.

Squat- 170
Pendlay Row-135
Bench-145
Curls-70 (2x35 DB)

Workout less than 45 minutes...45 brutal minutes.
I like 30 reps, the first 20 reps are pain, but by reps 21-30, the pump is HUGE and my system is flooded with hormones.

Thanks Leige.  The training is going great and fueling a wicked appetite.  I am aiming for 220 in 10 weeks.  2 pounds/week.  It sounds insane, but I think it can be done. (actually I gained 3 lb.s in ONE week! 4/7-4/14)
wow.gif

My workouts are great.  I really get into it and grit through all the pain.  Pendlay rows were particularly awesome today, I did 3 sets of 10 and it seemed to help when I roared and yelled with every rep as the bar slammed into my abs.  Back was pumped to the max.  One thing I noticed today was I had a much more severe pump doing 30 reps/exercise as opposed to 20.
mad.gif

Kids were watching "Brainiac" on tv last night...

They took Brawny Harry, who "sometimes punches people just for the fun of it," & a skinny white bloke Simon, test levels 964 & 198, respectively: Harry was dressed in womans clothes, made to iron, wore a pinny, watch a soppy cartoon movie & read a bedtime story - skinny guy was made to do "manly" things such as a bit of boxing/had a lap dance/primal screaming etc.
Test levels were re-tested; Harry had gone down to about 783 whilst Simon was upto 383ish.

Every little bit helps...
cool.gif

Deadlifts- 250- 6x5
Chins- BW- 6x5
Dips- BW- 3x10
Standing Press- 95- 6x5

These short, brutal workouts are devastating.  Now I see why Fausto had to start doing 25 reps instead of 30 total.  I don't know how long I can keep it up as the loads progress.

Anyway, great workout.  Quick but brutal.
ghostface.gif

Over 22,000 pounds (11 tons) of workload (weight x reps) in under 40 minutes.

Wow, sore everywhere today...who says you need to do a ton of exercises to hit all the muscles?

Let's see..
Quads, hams, glutes, lower back, traps, lats, pecs, tris, bis, delts, forearms, abs are ALL sore from only FOUR exercises.
The only thing not sore is calves, they don't get sore until the deadlifts get really heavy.

(p.s.- I know soreness is not an indicator of growth but it is an indicator that the muscle was worked.)

Good work sci. I'm surprised your neck isn't sore.
biggrin.gif

You must be moving quickly to get 21 sets in under 40 minutes. Are you doing 2 exercises back to back to save time?

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 17 2007,20:55)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Wow, sore everywhere today...who says you need to do a ton of exercises to hit all the muscles?

Let's see..
Quads, hams, glutes, lower back, traps, lats, pecs, tris, bis, delts, forearms, abs are ALL sore from only FOUR exercises.
The only thing not sore is calves, they don't get sore until the deadlifts get really heavy.

(p.s.- I know soreness is not an indicator of growth but it is an indicator that the muscle was worked.)</div>
I know how you feel. My workout is about the same, and I feel sore as hell everywhere the next day. It's a good set of exercises that seems to cover everything.

Great workout. 30 reps with 250 lbs on deads is pretty brutal, but I think doing that many reps with chins might be even worse. Or I could just be a wuss.

Squats- 175- 6x5 (could have easily done 3x10, but my cardio system is not in good shape, I need to start jogging)
blush.gif

Pen Rows- 140- 3x10

Bench Press- 145- 8/8/8/6

DB curls- 35s- 10/10/6/4

Standing rotator cuff- 25s- 3x5

Again 40 minutes. Killer.
ghostface.gif

Started cardio today...40 minutes of jogging.

I feel like an old man, I haven't done cardio in so long. Should get my sickly calves some hypertrophy too, they were on fire the whole time. Some small girl who runs everyday was in front of me, I couldn't catch her. Man that was humbling...hopefully I can pass her by in a couple of weeks.
blush.gif

Forget sets...I have decided to simply m-time everything and just do 1 long 30 rep set for each. I want to maximize hypertrophy stimulation anyway.

30 deadlifts- 255
30 chins- bodyweight
30 dips- bodyweight
30 presses- 100

My body is a temple, and my erector spinae are beginning to resemble stone pillars!
cool.gif

Doing max-stim stretched the workout to 50 minutes, but it was great. Less fatigue, more power.

I am dropping squats...I have been thinking about it for a long time and Totentanz's idea made me realize this is possible.  I will be doing alot of running/hiking this summer and my legs will get plenty of work.  Also lately my hamstrings never seem to recover between workouts alternating squats and deads.  My biceps aren't recovering well either so I am dropping curls. (you are right leigelord, curls were a silly idea, chins works the biceps plenty).

Before you guys crucify me for dropping squats, consider several other guys have done it...Totentanz, Drpierredebs due to alot of biking, Mikeynov gave up backsquats and only does front squats.
Deadlifts are working my quads, hams and glutes to the max.  I feel squats are simply a bump in my week that reduce my recovery between deadlift workouts.

My reduced routine will be:
A
Deadlift
Chin
Bench

B
Pendlay Row
Dips
Press

Running/hiking on offdays and weekends...this gives me a great leg workout and is enough for me.
I will be a push/puller!
biggrin.gif

from the HST FAQ:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squats and deadlifts in the same week?
There is no need to do squats and deadlifts during the same week, unless perhaps if you are training for a powerlifting event. Even then, you should alternate between squats and deads every other workout. These two exercises are essentially full body exercises. Unless you are chemically assisted doing both of these exercises with such frequency will lead to burnout.

Most people can only handle 2 exercises per week that stress the lower back. These include squat, deadlift, stiff leg DL, unsupported bent over rows.

If you are doing squats and SLDL 3 times per week during the 5s it's no wonder your back hurts. I can only do squats twice per week during the 5s, and I don't usually do a lot of SLDL.
I would highly suggest you either drop the SLDL all together during the 5s, and only do a major exercise like squats or deadlifts twice per week. You can hit the quads and hams with extensions and curls inbetween.</div>

i would read that last sentence of the 1st paragraph in the HST FAQ you posted.

personally, if i was going to the trouble of taking &quot;extra vitamins&quot; over the next 8-10 weeks (or more) i would certainly be doing more then deadl and some hiking/running for my quads but thats me. my ass and hams (and back) get more work/size from dl then quads ever did and running or hiking isnt going to produce any mass.

time will tell, but i dont know too many folks (myself included) who dropped squats for a few months (cycles) and didnt regret it later.........but then again i dont know that many people.

good luck

Back