SCI's HST cycle

squats do crap for my quads...everyone is built different. I can use much more weight in deads and I work my quads more. I was thinking maybe of doing hacksquats. I have tried olympic squats, parallel squats, wide squats, narrow squats....the only ones that I got alot of quad strain from were Half-squats, were I load up heavy and only go down half-way. But everyone says I will blow out my knees like that.

I hate squats...I might do try hack squats, they are like deadlifts but more leg, less back.

Hiking doesn't produce leg mass??? HAAA!!!  Maybe where you hike!  The hardcore hikers around here have legs like trees.  Steep downhill fast-hiking for a heavy guy will work the quadriceps hard.  It is almost like doing sissy squats all the way down.  Steep uphill hiking is a like spending time on the calf-machine.  I am way out of shape right now, but hopefully will bounce back quickly.

What's next... sprinting doesn't produce leg mass? Sprinting is absolutely a great way to hypertrophy the entire leg. Who wouldn't kill to have legs like a world-class sprinter?

I just have had it with squats....Like I said I may end up trying hack squats or front squats, but regular squatting is out for now.

I too dont get as much out of conventional squats as some(long  femur) , I use sumo deads to better effect.  I do O.H.SQUATS tho as an assistance form for deads . They can be more fun , also dave draper has a device out now called the top squat that allows for more ergonomic hand placement for those whose shoulders make squatting painfull...
smile.gif
If only Dorian Yates had squatted- maybe he could have won something...oh wait!!!
biggrin.gif

Keep up the great work!!! I've never let the pressure from the squats are essential camp sway me as deads are really a quarter squat any way and I 'm all about the deads...

Right on Russ...honestly I do feel guilty a little. Because I was on the bandwagon with the 'squats are essential' for a long time now. Now I realize that certain exercises are not going to work for every bodytype.

<div>
(RUSS @ Apr. 21 2007,16:53)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I do O.H.SQUATS tho as an assistance form for deads . They can be more fun</div>
Fun??? OH squats are fun? Now that's just sick.

Squats are essential.
laugh.gif

I don't think you've made a bad move by dropping squats. You can always add them back in next cycle, or a cycle or two from now. I don't think you'll lose anything in your legs, unless you start cutting for some reason... Besides, you're chasing a high deadlift, right?

I'm still doing squats but not as part of my routine. Just once in a while for fun. I mess around with front squats sometimes too, but dang, those things are hard. If you just want to make sure you least maintain your squat strength, you could do them every couple of weeks or so. I would think that would be sufficient to maintain them.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 21 2007,10:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hiking doesn't produce leg mass??? HAAA!!!  Maybe where you hike!  </div>
ha thats funny,
i spent 10 years hiking up and down mtns with a 40lb pack and a chainsaw for a living so im comfortable with what hiking will do for ones legs. we also ran quite a bit to keep in shape.

everyone is different, perhaps dl, running and hiking is the path to mass for you.

about the sprinting. yes hard core sprinting is one (signif) aspect of leg hypertrophy but keep in mind you are using &quot;world class&quot; sprinters as your example. there are literally 1000s of sprinters in the world but not all develop monster quads despite similar amount of sprint training. part of of what makes the &quot;world class&quot; world class is the genetic advantages that shines thru in many ways, impressive physique being one.

hope it all works out

I speed hike...not like your typical hike. Up the hill fast, hang out on top the mountain and watch the view, then down the hill fast. Sprinting mainly develops hamstrings, undoubtedly the single-best hamstring exercise there is. It is what the legs are for...anaerobically anyway.
Since I am not squatting, I will try to throw in some sprinting after my workouts.

I am into some cool ideas lately I call 'CAVEMAN' training. Don't ask, I am a weirdo and will probably end up writing a book.
laugh.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 21 2007,01:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am dropping squats...I have been thinking about it for a long time and Totentanz's idea made me realize this is possible. I will be doing alot of running/hiking this summer and my legs will get plenty of work. Also lately my hamstrings never seem to recover between workouts alternating squats and deads. My biceps aren't recovering well either so I am dropping curls. (you are right leigelord, curls were a silly idea, chins works the biceps plenty).

Before you guys crucify me for dropping squats, consider several other guys have done it...Totentanz, Drpierredebs due to alot of biking, Mikeynov gave up backsquats and only does front squats.
Deadlifts are working my quads, hams and glutes to the max. I feel squats are simply a bump in my week that reduce my recovery between deadlift workouts.

My reduced routine will be:
A
Deadlift
Chin
Bench

B
Pendlay Row
Dips
Press

Running/hiking on offdays and weekends...this gives me a great leg workout and is enough for me.
I will be a push/puller!
biggrin.gif

from the HST FAQ:
<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Squats and deadlifts in the same week?
There is no need to do squats and deadlifts during the same week, unless perhaps if you are training for a powerlifting event. Even then, you should alternate between squats and deads every other workout. These two exercises are essentially full body exercises. Unless you are chemically assisted doing both of these exercises with such frequency will lead to burnout.

Most people can only handle 2 exercises per week that stress the lower back. These include squat, deadlift, stiff leg DL, unsupported bent over rows.

If you are doing squats and SLDL 3 times per week during the 5s it's no wonder your back hurts. I can only do squats twice per week during the 5s, and I don't usually do a lot of SLDL.
I would highly suggest you either drop the SLDL all together during the 5s, and only do a major exercise like squats or deadlifts twice per week. You can hit the quads and hams with extensions and curls inbetween.</div></div>
I temporarily gave up back squats in November, but managed to work them in again by switching to closer stance, oly squats in oly shoes. Haven't had back problems since ~November, and am just starting to use weights that aren't totally pathetic in back squats again
tounge.gif

Have you ever tried leg pressing? I realize you work out at home, but is there any reason you couldn't join a gym?

Some leg presses are nice, and a combination of leg press/deadlift would have your bases covered quite well.

Personally, with growth-resistant legs, I never grew from hacks or leg presses, or curls. The hacks I didn't do regularly though, since I hate them. Could be one of those exersizes that does you the most good. (the one you hate most) Deads have shown improvement. High rep squats didn't work either.
I'm still searching for the holy grail on the legs.

Over Heads squats ARE fun for me , It's bar far my weakest lift so I concentrate on perfect form and use my bench as a box so I go down far enuff .I take the mental pressure off myself for this one lift and just enjoy executing a good formed one instead of dwelling on load patheticness.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(RUSS @ Apr. 22 2007,15:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Over Heads squats ARE fun for me , It's bar far my weakest lift so I concentrate on perfect form and use my bench as a box so I go down far enuff .I take the mental pressure off myself for this one lift and just enjoy executing a good formed one instead of dwelling on load patheticness.
biggrin.gif
</div>
That's just wrong russ.
biggrin.gif
I've never heard of anyone using a bench to gauge depth though, I always thought the calves let you know when you gone down far enough.

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 21 2007,23:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have gained 5 pounds in 14 days...can't wait for the juice to arrive. It seems my appetite is up to the challenge.</div>
Looks like your gaining pretty good without juice. Why bother?

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 22 2007,00:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I have gained 5 pounds in 14 days...can't wait for the juice to arrive.  It seems my appetite is up to the challenge.</div>
I read back to former page in this log but don´t understand what you mean with juice.
Are you considering AAS all of a sudden?
rock.gif

<div>
(scientific muscle @ Apr. 23 2007,14:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Long story...you missed it, been considering for about a month now.</div>
Ok. I knew you were against it so i was a little confused when I read the post. But of course opinions can change. I myself have considered it from time to time and am no longer 100% sure I will stay clean for the rest of my life. We will see.
It will be interesting to follow your progress if you start this.

Back