Searching for opinions

You're not cutting, therefore you are either maintaining or bulking. I'll assume the latter. Fausto, you know I am your biggest supporter of the isolations on your off days. I would just stick with them on TR if your compound days are MWF.

Drop the Tabata as Totentanz pointed out. Your legs are going to be too fatigued and you will not be able to make strength gains in Deadlifts and Squats. Regardless of Tabata or no Tabata, a longer SD is needed with the isolation days. When I did my two cycles of the Faustonian Cycle, I took three week SD's.

Thanks Colby...I know you my fan!

Hey...I've dropped to twice weekly actually so...I'm just goinmg to hang in there and take it easy! What i think is happening is that I am not eating enough, point...thus the lack of strength.

But I am alright otherwise...as for the tabata,I think I am going to keepit and sacrifice on the strength front...for now! I'll just do a semi-cut!

Cheers
cool.gif

Fausto: I am sure you have your reasons but if protein and creatine supplies are low and funds are tighter than usual, why not do a proper cut and be done with this semi-cut malarky?! You'll get your abs back quicker and then you can get back onto a proper bulk sooner.

I haven't read this thread all the way through so if I'm barking up the wrong tree humblest apologies mate!

They say the longer your breaks are inbetween sets helps increase strength along with good stretching before and after workouts,but this may be common knowledge to you.

Lol

I think at teh end that is what I wanted to hear, and before you even mentioned it I thought yesterday, that is what i am going to do.

I'll keep the weights I am lifting now, for some exercises they are between 80 - 90 % of 1 RM so..they are just fine, I'll play around with the volume and drop the load if I have to, hey I may even go back to 10's for some like squats for example, just fro the calory burn.

I am however going to keep the Tabata, the iso's don't bother me so...I'll do them whem I'm in the mood.

I think I get it now, maintenance gets you nowehere...darn...you either cut or bulk...point!
biggrin.gif

Thanks again guys!

Fausto: All the best with the cut mate!
biggrin.gif

I haven't been eating as much as I should to bulk this cycle either and I have noticed that it has been harder to hit my top weights than before but at least I am still getting them. I am certainly not gaining a lb a week though. More like a lb a month! A surplus of calories sure seems to help to lift those heavy weights.

Early on I didn't need to count calories as bulking was easy - just eat everything I can! Now I am around 215 it's much harder (even though a fair chunk of that is fat!). I think a McDonalds diet would help but that's not going to happen any time soon.

So, I really need to be much more disciplined and ensure that I am eating enough. I have a FitDay account that I am going to have to use to try to get the cals right.

When I do eventually decide to cut, I will learn from your example and do a proper cut right off the bat.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I will learn from your example and do a proper cut right off the bat</div>

Yeah, talk about lab coats...darn...why do I always lend up trying things out on me??...time I get meself a lab rat!
laugh.gif

I think I get it now, maintenance gets you nowehere...darn...you either cut or bulk...point!

Thanks again guys!

fausto the problem with eating at maintanence is finding maintanence.
everyday you can add muscle or fat or lose both,your training intensity changes from day to day,your activity level changes fron day to day,so IMO it nearly impossible to work out your maintanance level.
thats why i agree with berardi on his g flux method but how do you know when you have eaten 6000cls and used 6000cls
rock.gif

Yeah there is a big difference between 3000cal per day maint and 6000cal per day maint. Your body comp will change heaps. So Fausto I don't think it would really hurt you to start eating more, since you're not seriously cutting. If you eat enough you'll be able to keep going and enjoy the increase in performance.

Is the gut steadily reducing?

Peak

I think I am going to slow down the load some, maybe even go back into 10's and do a cut...maybe not as serious as you would but an attempt nevertheless.

Yeah the gut has reduced but I am a damn perfectionist and am not happy yet, so I am keeping the tabata as I said but will sacrifice some load...after all what I want is to loose some fat and not muscle, so in the name of muscle retention, I'll do lifting to the best of my ability but will cut at teh same time...so from next week on...Tabata 3x week and weights twice p/week, claories cut by at least 500.

I'll post in a while again...hopefully with results next time.
biggrin.gif

there is another option fausto.
if you get up in the AM and do slow steady cardio fasted, as long as you stay under 135bpm you will burn only fat if you go above this you will go into the carb burning zone,which is not
cool.gif
because you have none.
so a good brisk walk or light jog every morning and carry on with the weights or tabata in the PM when you are fed this might help with the stubborn fat ...

<div>
(faz @ Nov. 17 2006,12:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">there is another option fausto.
if you get up in the AM and do slow steady cardio fasted, as long as you stay under 135bpm you will burn only fat if you go above this you will go into the carb burning zone,which is not  
cool.gif
 because you have none.
so a good brisk walk or light jog every morning and carry on with the weights  or tabata in the PM when you are fed this might help with the stubborn fat ...</div>
This may be a myth, at the end of the day its calories in vs. calories out. Even if he does burn only fat, eat more than you burn in a day and it'll go back on while you sleep. When you're asleep is when you burn mostly fat anyway. They've proved that HIIT is better for fat burning that LSD (long slow distance you druggies
smile.gif
), but that gets your heart rate up very high. Experts also recommend eating on either side of exercise to reduce muscle loss, and then eat less other times to maintain the over all calorie deficit.

But if you've found good results with this method faz let us know, cause I may be wrong (and am readily willing to admit it when I am
tounge.gif
).

Besides there being little time to do stuff in the morning, specially slow steady cardio, and the fact that I hate it! I'd rather try to do some tabata then even if its not as intense, at least it is only 4 minutes.

Sure I can keep it at 135 bpm and below...I'll just have to put on my lab coat once again
biggrin.gif

So far so good...Tabata 3x week should do the trick...I'm looking alright so far and haven't really been that disciplined with the tabata anyways...

This thread is becoming a good learning curve to say the least
wink.gif

Thanks guys!

<div>
(Peak_Power @ Nov. 20 2006,02:09)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(faz @ Nov. 17 2006,12:48)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">there is another option fausto.
cool.gif
 because you have none.
so a good brisk walk or light jog every morning and carry on with the weights  or tabata in the PM when you are fed this might help with the stubborn fat ...</div>
This may be a myth, at the end of the day its calories in vs. calories out. Even if he does burn only fat, eat more than you burn in a day and it'll go back on while you sleep. When you're asleep is when you burn mostly fat anyway. They've proved that HIIT is better for fat burning that LSD (long slow distance you druggies
smile.gif
), but that gets your heart rate up very high. Experts also recommend eating on either side of exercise to reduce muscle loss, and then eat less other times to maintain the over all calorie deficit.

But if you've found good results with this method faz let us know, cause I may be wrong (and am readily willing to admit it when I am
tounge.gif
).</div>
peak i agree with the cals in versus out argument,but doing this in the AM+hiit in the pm can only help more fatloss.
doing am training fasted ss-cardio will specificly target fat rather than cals,hiit targets more cals and then uses fat through epoc afterwards,so if you are already doing weights wich is basicly high-intensity training doing fasted AM training will give you the best of both worlds.

Well its cal in, cal out for weight loss. But I think trying to control which energy source is used, you can prevent muscle loss which in turn will mean more fat loss (but still same weight loss).
Saving carbs (the liver actually replenish the muscles with some glycogen during the night) from doing light cardio in the morning will make carbs available for weight training, which means you can train harder and give a better anabolic stimuli for the muscles, training harder also means more cal out.
Also, getting up early in the morning means being awake for longer, which also increases the cal out.

DM

You have my permission but you would have to take quiet a bit of the thread with you on the way and that is tedious!

Or do you mean I should just take a few opinions after filtering the &quot;ash&quot; out?
rock.gif

<div>
(the_dark_master @ Nov. 20 2006,13:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I dare anyone to post these &quot;theories&quot; of fat utilisation upto Lyles board - then come back with the answers
laugh.gif
</div>
I know that burning more fat during one time of the day, the body will compensate by burning less fat at another time (and maybe use more carbs instead) so in the end its cal in cal out yes.
But for instance using low intensity cardio in the morning using more of the energy (percentwise) from fat than if you would do high intensity cardio. You will probably end up with more glycogen at the night (than if you did high intensity cardio) that you can use for weighttraining, and since carbs are a good source of energy for weighttraining, you can train harder and increase the cal out (to compensate for the choice to use lower intensity in the morning) + get a better stimuli for muscle keeping -&gt; less of the weight loss will be muscle, which is the same as losing more fat.

Back