Slow bulk

Liege, what is that, 5 or 6 straight weeks of PRs, your SD notwithstanding? That is simply amazing for an experienced lifter. My PRs happen about once every 3 months now!

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Slapz, keep in mind a lot of my strength gains right now on the olympic lifts are neural, I'm getting my form down. The increased form and speed is helping, especially since I'm cutting.
biggrin.gif

slapz, you asked about keeping the reps low. I am cutting and want to keep the loads high and fatigue low. I am going to bump the weights up and max-stim again next week.

I didn't sleep Wed. night so I had no business going to the gym last night, especially at 9:00.

push-press: 205x3
pendlay row: 245x10
dips: bw+75x5

Tonight was good, the strength coach was there so he worked with me on form, so the weight was lighter.

hang clean & jerk: 70k 3x5
hang clean pulls: 294 (133.6k) x6, 304 (138k) 2x6 PR
BTN press snatch grip + OH squat: 98 (44.5k) 12+6x2
mad.gif

static holds: 440 (200k) 2x10 seconds

Then about 10 minutes HIIT. The clean pulls were not hard and I think my strength from deadlifting is starting to help since I have the form down pretty good now. After the first set I bumped it up 10 more pounds and could have went another 10. Next time.
smile.gif

It's like another SD, at least I can get back on schedule next Monday. I was out of town this week and got back late yesterday, after 5 hours of driving (with the kids) I should not have gone to the gym.

I was tired so I did light snatches, drop snatch and OH squats. Then 10 minutes of HIIT.

Friday's workout was good, though I didn't eat well and didn't have as much energy as I usually do.

hang squat cleans: 242 (110k) 2x3 PR
hang clean pulls: 318 (144.5k) 3x6 PR
push-jerk: 169 (76.8k) 2x4
chins: bw+45 x5

Then 10 minutes HIIT - sprints. I ran out of steam pretty quick and missed the 3rd set of cleans, I wasn't catching them good and know enough to just dump the bar rather than trying to finish and break a wrist.

10 MINUTES HIIT AFTER ALL THAT? Good lord, liege - that's incredible. Congrats on the PR's!

<div>
(liegelord @ Aug. 12 2007,19:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Friday's workout was good, though I didn't eat well and didn't have as much energy as I usually do.

hang squat cleans: 242 (110k) 2x3 PR
hang clean pulls: 318 (144.5k) 3x6 PR
push-jerk: 169 (76.8k) 2x4
chins: bw+45 x5

Then 10 minutes HIIT - sprints.  I ran out of steam pretty quick and missed the 3rd set of cleans, I wasn't catching them good and know enough to just dump the bar rather than trying to finish and break a wrist.</div>
The only thing i could clean are the dishes, well done on the pr's.

seems like your going from strength to strength!

Thanks lcars. This has been a bad week though. I could not get to either gym Monday, so I pulled my old weights out, a real bad idea. I had forgotten why I stopped using my weights, the bar is bent pretty bad. I was able to keep it balanced for squats (331 2x5) but when I did OH presses I hurt my shoulder.
sad.gif
No presses or anything heavy OH for a while.

Tuesday I had to go the fitness gym.

pendlay rows: 250x10
dips: bw+55x10
hang snatch pulls: 225 (102k) 3x6 PR
chins: bw+55x5

My diet has been way off, lost 3 pounds in 12 days, lost strength in most lifts.

Tonight was pretty good considering I didn't eat enough and only had 5 hours of sleep.

hang clean: 242 (110k) 3x3 PR
hang clean pulls: 330 (150k) 3x6 PR
static holds: 440 (200k) 2x10 seconds

Wow, clean pulls felt really heavy tonight. Sucks not being able to do jerks or presses, hopefully the shoulder is better in a couple of weeks.

Congrats on the PRs yet again and sorry to hear about your shoulder. What a nuisance. I know what you mean about the bent bar, although yours sounds worse than mine. It makes pressing much more awkward (and evidently injurious to one's health).

Great static holds, by the way. Don't think I could do that much yet. Once I get a rack sorted I'll get back to doing them.

Hope you can get some more rest and food.
smile.gif

Thanks mate. yeah, that bar is bent pretty bad, it was pretty silly of me to use it. There's no pain, so I don't think it's really injured and I can do dips without any discomfort. Anything overhead with more than 50k is out of the question.

Had to take today off though, hoping to be able to get in tomorrow to do snatch work.

Missed yesterday, was able to do snatch work tonight. Form was off, so after I missed the second set with 70k, I lowered the weight and focused on form, squatting lower and not really power snatching it. With 60k, another lifter suggested that after I snatched it going into a half squat, to keep going to a full squat, hold it, then stand up. Wow, 60k feels really heavy after a few of those.

hang power snatch: 70k3x, 60k 3x5, 50k 2x5
OH squats: 70k 2x4
front squat: 129k 2x4
good morning: 110kx5

Yeah the weights were light, but my traps are sore to the bone from all the pulling.

I'm back, I missed a lot of lifting because of my schedule and diet has been dreadful, lost 5 pounds, down to 210. I got sloppy with hang clean pulls and tweaked my back, missed a straight week of lifting and couldn't clean for another week after that. Lost strength almost across the board.
sad.gif

I've been doing more of a Ripptoe 3x5 5x5 hybrid the last two weeks though. I'm still focusing on the oly lifts, just not as much and going to finally start deadlifting again Wed's. Shoulder is finally doing better, 1st time doing presses in weeks last Wed. Taking it easy for a while.

olympic squats: 330 3x5
squat cleans: 230 3x5
OH press: 105x10

I usually do 10 minutes of HIIT MWF, but ran out of time tonight. The day I tweaked my back I hit a PR with hang cleans of 112k. I had done hang clean pulls with 152k for a PR when I got hurt. It was just sloppy form, I should have just dropped the bar and lifted it again, instead I held on for the last rep.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'm back, I missed a lot of lifting because of my schedule and diet has been dreadful, lost 5 pounds, down to 210.</div>

I hear you man... hopefully both of our lifting regiments will get back on track!

I just can't stay on schedule and one of the football coaches asked me to come in earlier, so I won't be doing as much olympic lifting.

Monday:

olympic squats: 335 3x5
OH press: 110x10, 8, 3
pendlay rows: 240 3x5
dips: bw+80x5,4,4,2

Wed.:

deadlift: 440 (200k) x4 (double-overhand, no wraps)
hang squat cleans: 235 (106.8k) 3x5
chins: bw+35 3x5
bench: 205 3x5

Felt great to deadlift again, haven't pulled in 3 months, went 3 weeks without lifting at all, had two injuries in that time and lost about 10 pounds. Felt great to chalk up and pull some real weight for a change, 3 oranges and one yellow on each side. I love cleans, but there's nothing like deadlifting.
biggrin.gif
440 is probably my 5rm, so next time I'm going to start lighter and do 3x5.

And yeah, HUGE mistake to deadlift before doing cleans. My grip strength is dreadful and was pretty much gone after the deads, half-way through my 2nd set of cleans I had to use wraps.

So while I did lose about 20 pounds on my deadlift in that time, compared to my other lifts it wasn't bad, I dropped 60 pounds on my squat. I think if I didn't have all the problems I'd be pulling 500x5.

All I can say is WOW.

Welcome back, liege. Your numbers are just impressive as hell, even with a 3-week break. Unreal.

<div>
(liegelord @ Sep. 19 2007,23:41)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">deadlift: 440 (200k) x4 (double-overhand, no wraps)

440 is probably my 5rm

cleans.  My grip strength is dreadful.</div>
440 x 4 w/ a double over grip is outstanding.  

I'm surprised that it's that close to your 5 rep max (considering the grip).  great work!

If your grip strength is dreadful...I hate to consider the word to describe mine!  there's no way I could over over grip a 440 deadlift (maybe I'm inspired to try!)...

Thanks FF. Friday's workout was good:

olympic squats: 340 3x5
OH press: 110 2x10
pendlay rows: 245 3x5
dips: bw+85 3x5

Monday

olympic squats: 345 3x5
hang squat cleans: 235 (106.8k) 3x5
OH press: 115 1x10, 9, 1
10 minutes HIIT - sprints

I've got to get a better schedule, cleaning after deadlifts or squats is a killer. I can't get to the high school as often and have to do olympic lifting whenever I can get there.

Last night, Wed. was a train wreck. I don't know why, I just had no strength. After pulling 440x4 (200k) last week, I figured I'd go lighter for sets of 5. 425 felt like more than 440 and I had to use wraps because the gym doesn't allow chalk.

deadlift: 425 2x3,1
pendlay rows: 245 3x5
dips: bw+90 3x5

Oh well.
sad.gif

Missed a couple days last week. Last night, Monday, was pretty bad.

olympic squats: 345 3x5
OH press: 120 2x10
chins: bw+35 3x5
dips: bw+95 4,3,2

Missed tonight, my schedule is real messed up right now.

Back