Slow bulk

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">My goal is to clean 143k before the end of the year.</div>

That will be a lot of work, but I guarantee you'll be able to do it. As others have mentioned, congrats on the continued PB's. I don't even have a clue on how to do half of your exercises!
laugh.gif

Thanks guys. Yeah, LOL, a 120k clean has eluded me for a while now, I'm not going to do cleans from the floor until I get the 4 reds from a hang though. I think in the long run the extra work from the hang is going to really help with my deadlift.

I was off tonight, just didn't have the speed I had Mon &amp; Tues. I thought taking yesterday off would have helped. It was probably because I didn't sleep enough, I went to bed late because I forgot I had a radio interview very early this morning. Damn time zones.

hang power snatch: 164 (74.5k) 3x3 PR
OH squats: 154 (70k) 5, 4, 4
front squats: 269 (122k) 2x6
good mornings: 220 (100k) x6
pendlay rows: 250 2x5

I'm glad I hit a PR with hang snatches, but form and speed were not as good and I had 3 misses (not included in above 3x3). I'll repeat next Mon. Still struggling with OH squats, but much better than last week. Front squats, though uncomfortable, were easy. I really hate good mornings, but I'll stick with them to test Bill Starr's program for improving your deadlift. I'll use 110k next week.

My conditioning is really improving and I did straight sets of 5 on rows instead of max-stim like last week, should be able to jump 10 lbs for sets of 5 next week.

<div>
(liegelord @ Jul. 06 2007,07:02)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Still struggling with OH squats</div>
Is there any other way?
biggrin.gif

Great PB in the hang power snatch too.
cool.gif

Thanks lol. I ended the week last night with a train wreck. I got to the gym real late, because I could not lift until late, I had to go to the fitness gym, no bumper plates. I hate that.

hang C&amp;J: 205 (93k) 3x3
hang clean pulls: 285 (129.5k) 3x6
rack pull: 545x1
BTN press snatch grip+OH squats: --

I did the rack pull just for the heck of it, just below the knee. Ran out of time to do BTN presses.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I had to go to the fitness gym, no bumper plates. </div>You'd think that all those crashing noises would make them want to buy some...
laugh.gif

the only crashing noises were from my confidence after the first jerk.
biggrin.gif

It was bad from the beginning. I had tore my left hand up from doing snatches, had two calluses get torn off and I continued lifting and the skin got pretty raw. I lifted two more days like that and on Friday the hand was really in bad shape. I tried a glove, but it made gripping the bar too difficult. I used wraps, but that made it really difficult to do jerks.

I hate not being able to drop the weight though. Anyway the hand is back to normal now.

I love bumper plates, but so far I have had the unfortunate experience of gyms without them. Leige, why don't you wear lifting gloves to avoid the calluses?

It's sad there aren't more places that have bumper plates. I don't like wearing gloves colby, besides I usually take of calluses before they get too thick.

Week 3. Last night was a trainwreck again. I could not get to the HS to lift and had to go to the fitness gym. I hate that place, no bumper plates and no chalk.
mad.gif
It was hot, my hands got sweaty so I used my wraps for snatches. One ripped in half on the first rep or my first top set. I lowered the weight and worked form, just too pissed off to focus anyway.

hang power snatch+drop snatch: 135 3x3
hang snatch pulls: 205 3x6
olympic squats: 325x6

I thought I may have too much volume and decided to cut back a little. Tonight was much better, I didn't have to go to the fitness gym.
laugh.gif

hang squat cleans: 230 (104.5k) 3x3 PR
hang clean pull: 289 (131k) 2x6
push jerk: 198 (90k) 3x3
BTN press snatch grip+OH squat: 103 (46.8k) 2x9+6

The last two workouts had me worrying I was hitting a wall, it was nice to come in tonight and easily hit 230 for hang cleans. I should probably lower the weight on push-jerks so I can get the form down. Unfortunately I am going out of town for a week tomorrow and probably won't be able to lift until I get back. I'm only 20 lbs away from my best set of squat cleans from the floor.

great work, liege...i think your week off comes at a good time. You're right on the fringe of being overtrained, and I have little doubt you'll come back &amp; nail your prs.

Thanks slapz, I was also thinking I was getting close to overtraining until I lifted last night. The 230 felt more like 205 and flew up. The cleans pulls were also not too difficult, I could have easily done the 3rd set, only problem was it tears up my thumbs. I also thought it would be a good idea to drop the volume a bit, to avoid overtraining.

You're probably right slapz, the week off will do me good and give me a few extra weeks of PR's. I really want to hang clean 120K and hang power snatch 90k before I deadlift again. I'm pretty close to hang cleaning 110k for sets and that was giving me problems from the floor just a few weeks ago.

Well, 1 week off turned into a forced 2 week SD. Oh well, turned out it did some good, I think the power snatches will actually stimulate some hypertrophy now.
biggrin.gif
I going to start over of course and go 8-10 weeks with the olympic lifting routine still. Man it feels good to lift again.

Week 1. Starting lighter on everything. This is from last night:

hang power snatch: 132 (60k) 3x3
hang snatch pulls: 198 (90k) 2x5
OH press: 135 (61k) x5
olympic squats: 315 (143k) x5 slow down, 1-2 sec. pause in hole

Snatches were easy. I was happy the OH press was also so easy, I haven't done them in months and usually can't press after snatches.

Tonight went really well and decided not to lower the weight as much as last night.

hang squat cleans: 220 (100k) 3x3
hang clean pulls: 279 (126.8k) 2x6
push-jerk: 154 (70k) 2x6
BTN press snatch grip: 88 (40k) 2x12

Cleans were very easy, could have done them with my PR of 104k. I was getting sore less than a hour after lifting though, going to feel it tomorrow for sure. Lowering the weight for push-jerks was something I should have done a few weeks ago to focus on form, it really helped tonight.

Bad night, got to the gym late, had to go to the fitness gym, they don't allow chalk of course.

Push-press: 205 2x5
drop snatch: 185x1,
drop snatch+OH squat: 135 2x5

I did some static holds with 405 to work grip strength, not a good idea without chalk.

Thanks guys. It's week 2.

Last night was pretty good, though I tore a callus off on my second to last snatch pull.

hang power snatch: 142 (64.5k) 3x3
hang snatch pulls: 208 (94k) 2x6
olympic squat: 320 (145.5k)x6 - slow down, pause 1-2 seconds
pendlay rows: 242 (110k) x10

Tearing that callus off really sucks, I have to be careful and not really tear my hand up like I did a few weeks ago. I didn't want to, but I used wraps tonight, it's not worth tearing up my hand more. I hate to think I lifted better tonight because the wraps helped with my pulls, the weights are so light, grip is usually not an issue under 400.

hang squat cleans: 230 (104.5k) 3x3 110k x1 PR
hang clean pulls: 279 (126.8k) 2x6
push-jerk: 164 (74.5k) 2x6
BTN press snatch-grip: 93 (42k) 2x12

The cleans were pretty easy, so when I finished the 3 sets, I couldn't resist going for 110k. It's a PR from a hang and I could have done a whole set, but it's only week 2, so I don't want to push it. I'm finally getting my form down on push-jerks.

I'll get calluses on my fingers during the tail end of an HST cycle, but other than that my gloves hold off any shredding during most of my lifts... just sayin'.

Another day, another PR. Good job Leige.

Thanks colby. I just can't lift with gloves though. tonight was a pretty good workout.

hang power snatch: 147 (66.8k) 3x3
hang clean pull 330 (150k)x1 PR
OH squats: 142 (64k) 2x6
front squats: 274 (124.5k) x6
good morning: 235 (106.8k) x6
bench: 205x6
chins: bw+35 2x5

I cannot press after doing snatches, it's even worse if I've also done OH squats also. I've lost a lot of strength in chins, dips, bench and rows after not doing them for 3 weeks. The only thing worse than front squats for more than 3 reps are good mornings.

A friend was doing clean pulls, so I did one for the hell of it. Made the last set of snatches feel real easy after pulling 330.

Hey Liege, it's amazing that you are hitting PRs so early in your cycle AND after three weeks off. Losing a callus sucks but it certainly isn't holding you back. Looks like this will be a good cycle for PRs as I'm sure your strength will recover quickly for bench etc. I understand why you don't do higher reps for the Oly lifts but how come you don't for the other stuff? Just a desire to keep fatigue as low as possible or just surprised how heavy the bar felt?
biggrin.gif

I avoid ripping callouses by using my wifes nail file using the finer sand paper type side across the body of the callous after trimming any loose edges sticking up with a nail cutting scissors. I learned this while powerlifting in college almost 20 years ago and am a firm believer that it minimizes rips(I'll still get them occassionally but very infrequently).
Plus the wife appreciates not being shredded by them during more intimate moments - I play guitar quite a bit and between the finger callouses from that and the palm callouses from lifting I sometimes marvel that she lets me touch her at all!!!
biggrin.gif

i dont feel i can add much to this thread, my olympic lift experience notwithstanding, except for offering my support.
you got some impressive lifts there liege give em hell!

Back