Slow bulk

Second week. Much better last night, it was tuff though. Here's the #'s:

squats: 360 10, 5 (10 is a PR for olympic squats)
push-press: 195 3x5 (negs)
pendlay rows: 245 2x10
neg dips: 155x6, 5

Tonight's snatch work was OK, although I had these 2 really annoying problems for some reason. I had a problem locking out and also coming up on the balls of my feet.
mad.gif

Tonight was better, though my deadlift is still not where it should be. Don't know why it's so tough. I'll nail all 10 reps next week.

Deadlift: 440x5,3,2
bench: 210 3x5
neg chins: 125x5,4,3,2
front squats: 275x5

Would you happen to have a good link handy for learning the snatch? I've looked at a couple, and they disagree with each other, leaving me in some confusion. I may or may not do them; I just like to know things.

Yes, and I thought it was pretty correct. Am I to understand that one is to train in a succession - first deads, then cleans, then power cleans...
then, beginning a steroid cycle, squat cleans
then, with the girls looking across the gym at you, trying the split jerk
and, when the 'roids really start kickin in, clean and jerk
and if, you had a few beers, jumping ahead to the full snatch.
Seems like a lot of work to just snatch a weight.

Cleans last night were pretty good. worked more on form with jerk though.

squat cleans: 100k 2x5
power clean & jerk: 90k x3, 70k 3x3

I say we cut out and share stevejones's heart.
biggrin.gif

The dips are neg's. For some reason my grip strength was off this Friday's workout, it was all I could do to make it through the rows. Thank goodness for the deload between reps.

<div>
(liegelord @ Mar. 31 2007,20:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Friday was pretty good.

squats: 360x11(PR) 3
push press: 195 3x5
pendlay row: 250 2x10
dips: 160 2x5</div>
Boy, those are some numbers to be proud of.....

and if you happen to hunt 'ol Jonesy down for an arterial snack, save me the left ventrical!
laugh.gif

That would be more than a snack.
biggrin.gif

Week three. BW up to 220.5 lbs (100k). Weight up 1.5 over 2 weeks-10 workouts. I swear I look a little leaner. A friend at the gym thought I looked leaner and my neck and upper back looked thicker.

Tonight's workout was pretty good, except for jumping up in weight too soon with push presses. I think 3 sets of negatives is a little too much and will drop a set.

squats: 360x13 PR (had a few more in tank, but I'm hating high reps)
push-press: 200 3x3
pendlay rows: 255 2x10
neg dips: 160 2x5 (much easier than previous, 175x5 is PR)

Squats felt real strong tonight. My 5rm is 385, but I've hit a wall each time and never hit all 5 in the last 2 sets (I usually do 3x5). That's one reason I've been hitting the higher rep range, I figure I can get past 385x5 easily after hitting 375x10.

It's getting warm in the gym (I live in Phoenix) and it's really messing up my grip, they don't allow chalk and I'm usually a mess after squats.
biggrin.gif

<div>
(Slapshotz @ Apr.,20:24)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(liegelord @ Mar.,20:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Friday was pretty good.

squats: 360x11(PR) 3
push press: 195 3x5
pendlay row: 250 2x10
dips: 160 2x5</div>
Boy, those are some numbers to be proud of.....</div>
Thanks Slapshotz, but I look at your numbers and consider I weigh 56 more pounds and I realize I've got some work to do, a lot of work. Geez, you're pulling 445 @ 164 and as lean as you are? Damn good pulling.

What's your max clean? I'm guessing you haven't been doing the jerk that long considering how much you bench and dip.

<div>
(liegelord @ Apr. 03 2007,01:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks Slapshotz, but I look at your numbers and consider I weigh 56 more pounds and I realize I've got some work to do, a lot of work.  Geez, you're pulling 445 @ 164 and as lean as you are?  Damn good pulling.

What's your max clean?  I'm guessing you haven't been doing the jerk that long considering how much you bench and dip.</div>
Tks Liegelord.

Funny you mention the jerk movement, as I only recently started using it (about 2 months ago, now). I've never actually done a power clean, if you can believe it.

I started using the split jerk movement instead of the seated shoulder press, because I want to be able to generate more power. I think if I ever want to get my bench press out of the funk its currently in, I'll need to incorporate more &amp; more oly lifts, but this one is enough for now
smile.gif

Would you suggest adding cleans?

Snatch work tonight was a trainwreck because of form; luckily, the football coach came in to lift, he's preparing for a competition this summer. Someone had pointed out a few weeks ago I was bending my arms too soon. Since then, I've been focusing on not bending my arms and that's been my problem, I'm NOT bending my arms much at all. This has caused me to swing the weight overhead. That is why I have had trouble locking out and coming out of the hole on the ball of my feet.

slap, you should definitely start doing cleans, one of the best all-around lifts IMHO. With your deadlift &amp; squat you'll do real well.

If you are able to do cleans, don't start with power cleans first, do full squat cleans and keep reps 3-5. The only problem is when you don't have bumper plates available when you start using heavier weights; it really sucks when you can't drop the BB. I would also suggest that if you are not doing them now, then start front squatting.

That's my idea also about the bench. That's why I'm focusing on the push-press, at this rate my push-press is going to be more than my bench.
biggrin.gif

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">slap, you should definitely start doing cleans, one of the best all-around lifts IMHO.  With your deadlift &amp; squat you'll do real well.  

If you are able to do cleans, don't start with power cleans first, do full squat cleans and keep reps  3-5.  The only problem is when you don't have bumper plates available when you start using heavier weights; it really sucks when you can't drop the BB.  I would also suggest that if you are not doing them now, then start front squatting.</div>

I think I'm going to take your advice, liege.  Once I get my split jerk goal of 185, I'll start incorporating front squats, at least, which is a movement I've never done.

Unfortunately, no, we have no bumper plates readily available, although I think my gym has a &quot;secret&quot; room where some of the beefy employees work out away from the masses.  Given these guys' sizes, I would almost bet the farm there are bumper plates in there....the trick is to get myself allowed in!!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">That's my idea also about the bench.  That's why I'm focusing on the push-press, at this rate my push-press is going to be more than my bench.</div>

lol!  Yeah, funny how your &quot;support&quot; movements end up being way more powerful than the movement you're trying to support!  If you check out my journal, I've kind of outlined a plan of increasing my bench by incorporating partials &amp; negatives for the next few weeks, about 15 to 30 pounds heavier than the goal weight I'm trying to press.

The idea is to get the CNS on board first, then back-door it into nailing the full lift.  Linear progression can only take you so far, I think, especially when you're trying to gain strength &amp; stay lean at the same time.

This is a pretty decent site I found that shows a lot of the lifting techniques.  The kid in the vid did a clean &amp; jerk of like 300-something pounds, and he's 164 pounds.....and 18 years old.  Makes me sick!

http://www.aceathlete.com/hatch/video.htm

Slapz, thank you for the link. I think my form for squats (back) is right on target. I just need to prevent myself from leaning forward. I checked out his warmup routine. The &quot;dynamics&quot; are interesting. I would look like a fool doing those at my school gym.

Doing front squats may help you get your goal in the jerk faster. A lot of coaches teach a big front squat is more important than a big back squat when it comes to olympic lifting. I hate doing cleans with regular weights, I always bruise my upper thighs.
mad.gif

tonight's workout would have been better had the gym I go not been systematically removing the equipment I use. The only dip rack is gone, the new chin bar is more than 7 feet off the floor, a few weeks ago they got rid of the 35's (?!), and even though I don't use it, they got rid of the seated press rack this week. I had to deadlift in the middle of an aisle, the weight racks were not close, the place is a joke. I couldn't do chins. Anyway, here's the numbers:

deadlift: 440x6,4
bench: 215 3x5
chins: not tonight
mad.gif

front squats: 280x5

I don't know why the deadlift is going so slow. It was much better tonight, but man, it feels more like 470. I'll nail it next week.

Back