Steves Reeves Routine

Rule #1: Train No More Than Three Times Per Week

Steve believed most trainees work out way too much and that no more than three full-body workouts per week is the way to go. Recovery is critical and far too many trainees overlook the importance of rest for maximum progress

Rule #2: The Number One Mistake That Trainees Make Is Cheating On Exercises

The idiot at your gym who likes to bounce the barbell off of his chest during the bench press wouldn't have impressed Steve. Steve was a stickler for proper training form.

Rule #3: Set A Goal Going Into Each Workout To Get You Focused And Excited

In addition to long-term goals such as adding twenty pounds to the overhead press, the trainee should have a goal at each workout. Having a goal for the workout will get you focused and excited about training.

Rule #4: Do Leg Exercises Towards The End Of Your Workout

Doing tough leg exercises such as the barbell squat at the beginning of a full-body workout is a big mistake. The legs are your foundation and if they are fatigued from intense leg training, the upper body portion of the workout will suffer. Beg to differ?

Rule #5: Exercise In Opposition

Steve believed in pairing opposing muscle groups in order to ensure balanced development, tremendous pumps, and workout efficiency. In other words, instead of doing three sets of the bench press and then moving on to the bent-over row, do the exercises back-to-back

Rule #6: Sets, Reps, And Breaks Are Determined By Your Goals

If your main goal is strength, do low reps of two to three for sets of five to six. Take rest breaks of up to five minutes in between each set. If you want strength and size, do sets of five to six for five to six sets with rest periods of two to three minutes.

Rule #7: Practice Deep Breathing

Steve believed that deep breathing delivered more oxygen to the blood stream and increased the amount of the hormone epinephrine. Epinephrine is a natural stimulant, which make one feel better and more energetic. Steve didn't believe in simply exercising for big muscles and strength, but trained for overall health and certainly wasn't a muscle-bound bodybuilder who hyperventilates just walking up a flight of stairs.

Rule #8: Stretching Is Important But Too Much Flexibility Can Be Counter-Productive

Steve said that while increased flexibility may decrease the chance of injuries, too much flexibility makes joints unstable and vulnerable to injury. Yes, flexibility training, like any form of training, can be over done.

Rule #9: Incorporate Power Walking For Aerobic And Mental Health

For aerobic health and mental well-being, Steve was a big proponent of power walking. While walking is hardly a hardcore form of exercise, power walking is definitely no joke. One form of power walking is to take long strides and move as fast as possible.

Rule #10: Daily Diet Should Be 60% Carbohydrates, 20% Protein And 20% Fat.

Steve didn't follow any complicated nutrition regimens.

1) I think the jury is still out on this one. HST is based on the 48 hour break from training, but customization leads to increased frequency and more hypertrophy. I think Mahler's main goal here was to advocate not over train yourself.

2) Here here, see this: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....y131765

3) Goals and mental focus are great. No brainer.

4) Legs at end of workout? You need more energy for the bigger muscles, so this is why most of us put legs at the beginning of our workouts. Mahler, meet red rooster; Reeves, meet Jones: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....t=14594

5) Interesting. I would love to see some conversation about this one. Let's go Joe!

6) Yada yada yada....

7) Agreed, but I honestly don't know much about deep breathing routines or epinephrine (researched it once before, but forget). Interesting...

8) From a hypertrophy standpoint, we are having this debate here: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....t=14619

Over flexibility and unstable joints is a bit irate IMO. It isn't like people lose control of their bodies when they become more flexible.

9) As Martin Levac says, HIIT throughout

10) WTF? Reeves doesn't follow any complicated nutritional regiments, but why 60% carbs? IMO, protein and fat are far more important than 20% a piece.

It amazing the number of things that Steve Reeves said and did 60 years ago that are being repeated again today.

I read where he had some strong criticism of the unaesthetic looking physiques in modern BB contests. I'm not sure what year the interview was, but I wonder what he'd say about the current crop of Olympians?

I'd consider Steve's bod a starting point. He has MUCH less mass than I want, but the guy they used for the pics in the article was lookin' GOOOOD! Now we gotta have a steroid argument again...

Well if you really want my opinoin...hehe.

Here goes.

1. I don't think protein is that big of a deal and I have seen tons of people do fine with adequate amounts.

2. I think its extremely hard for the majority of people to overtrain.

3. Around overtraining I will say that I have done it before but what indeed overtraining was for me was a matter of me not following a program that incorporated decent frequency (twice a week) and more importantly progressive load.

4. I think Reeves Physique is Awesome!

5. A lot of people who want to be big tend to extremely BULK to much and are to scared what a good cut will do to you. Just like when it comes to lifting weights you have to check your ego with proper form. The same is true with dieting. You have to check your weight at the door. I will dare say the majority of people who have what I would called PHENOMENAL bodies weigh around 170 to 200 at max!

6. To rant and have fun on point number 5! I think too many people walk around in a off season bulk state that they never get to show off there lean gains.

7. I think that SCIENCE is great but in the end Its just that science.

8. The perfect routine to me is basically do as many reps or sets as you want as long as it doesn't hender your 2 a week frequency per muscle group and more importantly it doesn't hurt your progressive loading.

Basically any routine with sufficient calories, decent protein and hitting a muscle group at least twice a week with non retarded low or high volume will work!

Wow....I typed a lot and didn't even know I could count to 8!
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

I completely agree with all of Joe's points except for the last one. The only reason I do not fully agree with the last one is the same reason I disagree with Mahler's first rule.

I think a lot of good discussion can come from these "rules", especially this one:

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Rule #5: Exercise In Opposition

Steve believed in pairing opposing muscle groups in order to ensure balanced development, tremendous pumps, and workout efficiency. In other words, instead of doing three sets of the bench press and then moving on to the bent-over row, do the exercises back-to-back</div>

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 23 2008,06:52)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I completely agree with all of Joe's points except for the last one.  The only reason I do not fully agree with the last one is the same reason I disagree with Mahler's first rule.</div>
I thought for a moment you didn't think I could count at all...hehe
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Oh just to jump back in and add to my own thread.

For the record I am starting to lean toward thinking that if there is and &quot;ideal&quot; routine that and upper / lower 4 day split is the way to go.

I wish I could train this way consistently but due to life / career / lazyness
biggrin.gif
...I am only able to train about 3 days a week.

For example a routine like Scientific Muscle is using to me is the ideal way to go!

And although I am not a big fan of Once a week bodypart training ( I have considered it then decided not to) I do think that there is a mini SD factor each week between bodyparts that seem to make it work for some! Look at LCARS he is a big dude off once a week training!

Colby,

I'm a fan of exercising opposing muscle groups in super sets. For example bench press and pendlay rows...pull ups and dips.

But...I never considered the development part so much as the opportunity to &quot;rest&quot; while staying active. The whole efficiency thing. I've been a guy who doesn't like to be in the gym for long stretches at a time.

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 24 2008,10:14)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">4) Legs at end of workout? You need more energy for the bigger muscles, so this is why most of us put legs at the beginning of our workouts. Mahler, meet red rooster; Reeves, meet Jones: http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/cgi-bin....t=14594

10) WTF? Reeves doesn't follow any complicated nutritional regiments, but why 60% carbs? IMO, protein and fat are far more important than 20% a piece.</div>
Except for the people who if they squatted at the start of the day, they wouldnt be doing much else.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">9) As Martin Levac says, HIIT throughout</div>

Fek that

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 23 2008,18:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'd consider Steve's bod a starting point. He has MUCH less mass than I want...</div>
O.K. I think I'd like to start out from here:

sr74.jpg

I've been doing legs at the end of workouts for 50 years. Personally, I can't imagine doing legs first and then having enough zip left in me to do a good upper body workout. However, I guess that might work If I just did leg extensions and leg curls.

My current workout scheme is somewhat similar to Reeves principles in that I do:

12 Reps
Monday AM Chest
Monday PM Shoulders, Traps and Tris
Tuesday AM Lats and Bis
Tuesday PM Legs

I then repeat Thursday and Friday using 8 reps. Each workout takes only 15 to 20 minutes so I always stay fresh. (I workout in a fairly nicely equipped home gym and am retired so that schedule fits my lifestyle...probably not for the average working guy who travels to a gym.)

I also do a &quot;core&quot; workout twice per week.

Reeves, Grimek and Katz (who I grew up with) have always been people I looked up to since the late 1950's.

There are two ways to think about the legs...

Beginning of workout: you have the most energy to be devoted to the largest muscles
End of workout: if done at the start of the routine, your energy will be depleted for the rest of your exercises

Hmm, maybe squats and deadlift should be done at the middle?
biggrin.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jan. 24 2008,16:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hmm, maybe squats and deadlift should be done at the middle?
biggrin.gif
</div>
Funny you should say that. I started doing squats/DL's in the middle when I started the 10's in my current cycle. The reason is I wanted more rest between bench press and OH press. Previously I had been doing squats/DL's 1st. I actually did squats 1st because a long time ago I read an article that said to always do the exercises you don't like first. That way you won't be able to skip them.

<div>
(EL_VIEJO @ Jan. 24 2008,15:50)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 23 2008,18:15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I'd consider Steve's bod a starting point. He has MUCH less mass than I want...</div>
O.K. I think I'd like to start out from here:

sr74.jpg
</div>
OWNED!
laugh.gif

Nope.
I want more. You can't go by one special pose either. Other shots of him don't look very massive. Or maybe it's just the wasp waists I can't get used to.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here quad. Even in that pic he looks better than anyone I have seen on the HST forums...

Any idea what his height and weight was? Makes me want to begin slimming down!

<div>
(quadancer @ Jan. 24 2008,19:36)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Nope.
I want more. You can't go by one special pose either. Other shots of him don't look very massive. Or maybe it's just the wasp waists I can't get used to.</div>
Quad, if you get bigger than that (at that level of leanness of course) I'll tip my hat to you, not many guys ever get there (naturally anyway).  I think you are pretty close, but not quite...YET.

Back