Strategic Deconditioning

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by Bryan Haycock, May 7, 2008.

1. intense_fuel1

intense_fuel1 New Member

during my SD 10 day break, i still was active. play soccer 3x a week and also pickup basketball on weekends, is that alright? no weights at all (first time ive taken a week off of weights since vacation a few years ago)

2. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

Oh yes. There is no reason to go on bed rest. The idea is just to change the environment that the tissue is subjected to for as long as possible/practical.

3. abanger

abanger Member

Exercise Biology

4. TheSeeker07

TheSeeker07 New Member

Okay, I got a pretty easy to answer and simple question. I'm on post 5s right now, and I'm not nearing my max body limits. I'm growing though, but I want to change what I do in my workout, like the exercises. So, since I really don't have any joint pain or any pain. Would a week of SD be enough then I can start back?

5. Bryan Haycock

Bryan Haycock Administrator Staff Member

You might as well continue what you are doing as long as you are still making gains. I don't see why you couldn't change exercises if you wish as long as the weight loads are producing similar strain on each muscle group. Sometime awkwardness feels heavy but is actually lighter than what you were doing before.

Just my 0.02

6. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Wow, that's a bit disappointing.
    hst-maximum-size.jpg

I appear to have already come close to my genetic limits even at my relatively low working weights.
    Come on, my chest is already at 42.9" (109 cm) measured at nipple level, only 1 inch short of my purported limits.

7. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

http://www.weightrainer.net/maximum_bodypred.html

Using your numbers:

Happy now? :)

(Of course, these figures are based on the assumption that you are a drug-free, genetically superior trainee. ie. not like the rest of us!)

8. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

Yup, much better, thanks, Lol :) I was so much depressed, as if there were nothing left to live for, now feeling much happier!

9. Pretty sure those size numbers are what you might measure at 8% bf and weighing 175ish... Your current measurements are likely at least slightly inflated by your current BF which is higher than 8%

Also, these calculators are not perfect; sure they are based on legitimate science, but they are estimates.

10. HST_Rihad

HST_Rihad Active Member

At first I thought so too, but all my fat is mostly concentrated in the waist area, the amounts in chest area are negligible.

Still I can safely assume that measurements of Steve Reeves (scaled down to my proportions) can be considered beyond my limits.

12. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

Obviously this calculator is going to vary based on genetics and such as well. Example, my legs are much larger whereas chest and arms are lagging behind (except forearms) and this is due to variation.

As NTB said, you might think you have a negligible amount of fat in your chest but overall it can mean as much as a few inches difference. Remember that chest measurement is actually measuring your trunk all around and you are likely keeping fat in your back, etc, as NTB said. You can't judge those numbers against yourself now unless you are at the same bodyfat percentage.

13. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

This is what started this thread almost 5 years ago: