The Road to 10%

can you do a seated OHP w/ your bench, using the rack? are you in a basement, garage, living room?

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jul. 16 2008,11:11)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">can you do a seated OHP w/ your bench, using the rack?  are you in a basement, garage, living room?</div>
Seated is the idea as to avoid problems with low ceiling. The problem is the transition from dumbbell to barbell was tougher than I thought. I like to work the DB OHP by having the DB's in front of me, and then I throw them up to just under shoulder level in front of my upper pecs and I press. I use a little bit of my chest and lats but this is why I like this style. It is very awkward with the barbell mostly because I have to face the back of the rack due to restrictions of area at the feet of the equipment.

I evaluated the exercise situation, and I have come up with some preliminary solutions. I found out I prefer the one arm dumbbell bent over row versus it's two arm barbell cousin, but until I pick up some extra small plates, I will have to stick with the barbell version. My problem around my new workout area is the lack of carpeted area. I realized I have two rectangular areas of carpet pieces in the house, about 3 x 3 and 3 x 2 in feet squared. I can put these in the front of the rack at areas where the plates will touch the floor. I can then face the rack and set the bar back on to the rack when I am done with a set so I can easily reload the bar. I can duct tape the bottom of these &quot;rugs&quot; to keep them from shifting on the floor. The big carpet piece (about 6 x 12 feet squared) is positioned under the rack.

Now, the other problem that needs to be addressed is my shoulder exercise selection. I refuse to do a Behind the Neck Press. I could opt for a Front Raise but this does not put the load directly over the shoulders in a normal (90 degrees up from a plane / perpendicular) position. This leaves Military Press and the seated version. Due to the limitations imposed by the area of my rack and the feet of the adjustable bench, I will not be able to do the Shoulder Press seated. I will try and see if I have the ceiling clearance to do the Military Press, but I am assuming I do not have the room. Another non-pressing movement as an option is Upright Row.

Hmm, what to do with my shoulders?
biggrin.gif

I went to this new gym, that opened up in my industrial park, with my boss today. I appeased him by checking it out, but I had the pleasure of having the personal trainer show me their machines. He showed me four machines:

1) Smith machine called the Max Rack, moves along the depth of the rack as well, so this take away the vertical constraint that we all hate about the Smith machine. He helped me with my OH Press form, but he was surprised as my shoulders were not that strong. Hmm, maybe I just wasn't used to the machine? I have been a dumbbell person when it comes to shoulders. Maybe my form was wrong? I think I have issues with elbow positioning and arching of the back.

2) Pec fly machine with two pulleys; nice little machine, but I didn't care about it. He was critiquing my form as I did a bench press movement, but I wasn't used to doing a press on a seated fly machine.

3) Pulley rack, the cool thing here was this stick that was attached to the pulley. It enabled me to do quality core work via trunk rotation. Once again, I appreciated the trainer's help with my elbow, stick positioning and hip movement here. I could implement this into my warmup with a curl bar.

4) Multi-row t-bar-esque machine, this is where I appreciated the trainer the most. I haven't been positioning my elbows correctly with my rows. My elbows been low and wide rather than high and tight to really hit the lats. He did a sample movement and let me put my hand on his back and the man was right. Also, my back isn't arched enough when I row, but this is tougher to do when I do not have a board/bench to press my chest up against.

All in all, this was a great experience. I may not be signing up for this gym, but I actually realized some weak points on form. I also feel that my warmup isn't good enough. I may need to simplify even more to win!
laugh.gif
Today ties in directly with my equipment issues from last night. I think I have found some answers.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Now, the other problem that needs to be addressed is my shoulder exercise selection... Another non-pressing movement as an option is Upright Row.

Hmm, what to do with my shoulders?</div>

For an equivalent to the push press only using upright rows, I have been doing Sumo Dead Upright Rows (SDUR). The great thing about them is that you can use a bit of hip extension to get the load up and then you can emphasize the negative on the return to the floor. I can use a fair amount of load doing these (176lb for reps) so you can still give your delts and traps a really good blast even if you can't do any overhead lifts.

Could you do a seated ohp outside of the rack? Maybe pick up the barbell off the rack while standing, sit down do your reps, stand back up and rack it.
rock.gif

<div>
(BAX67 @ Jul. 18 2008,9:08)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Could you do a seated ohp outside of the rack?  Maybe pick up the barbell  off the rack while standing, sit down do your reps, stand back up and rack it.
rock.gif
</div>
It's a thought, but I wouldn't feel comfortable pressing for a rep max without the spot of the rack. I am forced with a horizontal constraint that would tip a barbell if I lost control. With DB's, even if I lose control, one arm is independent of the other, so I am a lot safer in that regard.

I think I really need to just suck it up and buy some more small plates. Maybe this weekend?
tounge.gif

re: question posed in BAX's log

always working buddy! for another week and a half anyway. I take lunch breaks though and usually can go home. I do inspections and shop work most of the week (fire extinguishers). also work for a local phone company in the evenings/Saturday (which is why I'm always on line from 6a-6p central on Sat). but...start student teaching in ~ a week and a half...so I'll have a completely new chaotic schedule very soon.

right now I'm waiting on a delivery from a local welding shop (nitrogen bottles), so am killing a bit of time.

<div>
(fearfactory @ Jul. 18 2008,3:35)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">re: question posed in BAX's log

always working buddy! for another week and a half anyway. I take lunch breaks though and usually can go home. I do inspections and shop work most of the week (fire extinguishers). also work for a local phone company in the evenings/Saturday (which is why I'm always on line from 6a-6p central on Sat). but...start student teaching in ~ a week and a half...so I'll have a completely new chaotic schedule very soon.

right now I'm waiting on a delivery from a local welding shop (nitrogen bottles), so am killing a bit of time.</div>
Ahh, I was about to say! Don't mind my curiosity, but what subject will you be teaching?

BTW, thanks for posting that video. I tested my ceiling clearance, and I would be fine with the barbell and 25 lb plates, so I am good to go!
biggrin.gif

I love this rack and bench...

HST 10's - WO 6/6 - 7/16/08
<span style='color:red'>5 min run, swiss ball warmup</span>
<span style='color:blue'>Deadlift: 45 - 15, 135 - 5, PR: 190 - 10
Bench Press: 45 - 15, 115 - 5, 165 - 10</span>
*this was the workout where the rows and OH press were awkward...

HST 10's - WO 7/6 - 7/19/08
<span style='color:red'>core stretch work and swiss ball warmup</span>
<span style='color:blue'>Bench Press: 45 - 15, 135 - 5, PR: 170 - 10
Back Squat: 45 - 10, 115 - 5, 150 - 10*
One Arm Bent-Over Row: 12.5 - 10, 62.5 - 5, 90 - 10</span>

*It's been 11 months since I have done a Back Squat with more than just the light barbell.  No strength has been lost as that was my last 10 RM (established March 10th, 2007).  I believe I can definitely hit 175, so maybe I will milk the 10's a little bit more!
biggrin.gif

I did pure cardio for the first time in a long time yesterday. I am happy with the 25 minute session: 3 minutes walking, 2 minutes sprinting and 20 minutes running at about 8 mph with the longest stretch going for 9 minutes. &lt;- I didn't think my endurance was that good since I have been out of practice with running, but I suppose a lower body fat percentage always helps!
biggrin.gif

<div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 19 2008,6:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><span style='color:blue'>Deadlift: 45 - 15, 135 - 5, PR: 190 - 10</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Bench Press: 45 - 15, 135 - 5, PR: 170 - 10</span>
</div>
Good to see you getting some PRs. That is always an encouragement.
smile.gif

<div>
(TunnelRat @ Jul. 21 2008,10:21)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(colby2152 @ Jul. 19 2008,6:12)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><span style='color:blue'>Deadlift: 45 - 15, 135 - 5, PR: 190 - 10</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Bench Press: 45 - 15, 135 - 5, PR: 170 - 10</span>
</div>
Good to see you getting some PRs. That is always an encouragement.  
smile.gif
</div>
Yeah, but I am still not 100% confident in my form on deads. Perhaps I should post my first video for review?

I am slated to lift tonight. As I said, I plan on milking the 10's for a bit more. I'll probably do Bench, OHP, Deadlift and One Arm Rows tonight. I am working on my strategy for the 5's as well. The warmups will become more thorough as the HST FAQ's suggest. I will also throw some specialization in here to help my lower back strength. Likewise, the 5's is the time when clustering and drop sets take their place too.

HST 5's - WO 1/7 - 7/21/08
<span style='color:red'>core stretch work, 3 min run and swiss ball warmup</span>
<span style='color:blue'>Bench Press: 45 - 15, 115 - 5, 145 - 5, PR: 175 - 10
One Arm Bent-Over Row: 12.5 - 10, 52.5 - 5, 82.5 - 5, PR: 92.5 - 10
OH Press: 45 - 5, 75 - 5, 100 - 6, 3, 0.5*
Deadlift: 45 - 15, 135 - 10, PR: 195 - 10</span>

*Strength not a 1:1 ratio from seated dumbbell to standing barbell. I imagine the seat has a lot to do with it. I'm assuming PR's are five pounds less for the standing barbell version.

Great day - cross between the 10's and 5's. The 5's served as a nice appetizer for the main course, which was plenty of PR's!
cool.gif

HST 5's - WO 2/7 - 7/23/08
<span style='color:red'>core stretch work including practice of my golf swing, 3 min run and swiss ball warmup</span>
<span style='color:blue'>Bench Press: 45 - 10, 82.5 - 5, 115 - 3, 165 - 5 (3 sets)
One Arm Bent-Over Row: 12.5 - 10, 42.5 - 5, 62.5 - 3, 90 - 5* (2 sets)
OH Press: 45 - 5, 65 - 3, 85 - 5 (2 sets)
Back Squat: 45 - 5, 65 - 5, 85 - 3, 140 - 5 (3 sets)</span>

*I believe I have the loads set too high for the Row to be effective enough for hypertrophy. Simply bringing the dumbbell up to my torso may not be the best method to evaluate a complete rep. Pinching my lats in my back by having a slight static hold at the top of the ROM will obviously provide more strain. I'll keep these RM's on record and start a new version of the exercise at 70% of my RM's. This version will incorporate a 3 second static hold at the top of ROM in each rep to provide ample enough strain on my lats. Also, using high loads with okay form may need to injury but more likely some discomfort. I would be happier with more hypertrophy and less discomfort. Yes, fellows, I checked my ego at the door.
wink.gif

**DIET : Also, I have decided to cut out the idea of a slow bulk on my workout days now that I have entered the crucial 5's of my 16th HST Cycle. This will speed up the drop in weight and fatty adipose tissue to the standard cutting pace of about 500 kcals under maintenance each day.

HST 5's - WO 3/7 - 7/25/08
<span style='color:red'>core stretch work, 5 min run and swiss ball warmup</span>
<span style='color:blue'>Bench Press: 45 - 10, 115 - 5, 175 - 5 (3 sets)
One Arm Bent-Over Row: 12.5 - 10, 32.5 - 5, 65 - 5
OH Press: 45 - 5, 90 - 5
Deadlift: 45 - 15, 85 - 5, 120 - 3, 170 - 5 (2 sets)</span>

I'm not fond of the idea, but I think it is wise to do. My knees, especially my left knee, have felt an awkward pain lately. I am putting DL and Squat on a special SD for the remainder of my 16th HST cycle.

I was stomach sick late Sunday through yesterday, so I opted out of my usual Monday workout.The 5's will continue tomorrow with Bench Press, One-Arm Row and OH Press.

Sorry to hear about your knees. Bummer you have to put squats and deads on hold. What are you going to do for legs?

<div>
(BAX67 @ Jul. 29 2008,4:58)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Sorry to hear about your knees.  Bummer you have to put squats and deads on hold.  What are you going to do for legs?</div>
Nothing, I may still run on the treadmill though. I have large legs to begin with, so I would not be worried about ANY muscle loss. I would almost prefer it. I do, however, want my legs to be strong, without having have any negative effects on my knees.

HST 5's - WO 4/7 - 7/30/08
<span style='color:red'>core stretch work with pilates</span>
<span style='color:blue'>One Arm Bent-Over Row: 12.5 - 10, 42.5 - 5, 70 - 5 (2 sets)
OH Press: 45 - 5, 95 -5 (2 sets)
Bench Press: 45 - 10, 135 - 5, 185 - 4, 3*</span>
<span style='color:red'>swiss ball crunches and 10 min run on treadmill</span>

*weak on the bench, I'll cite it due to workout order (OH Press before Bench Press)

Back